• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Failed 'Could not write metadata. Unknown file I/O error. (1) ?

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom running on an iMac with the catalogue on the iMac, but the RAW files and XMP files written to a NAS drive.

I am getting a number of metadata write failures on each set of images I process.

Current example out of 22 images, 8 have failed with the above error.

Whilst some have updated, those that fail either have a metadata status of 'Unknown', or  'Has been changed'.

When I retry the metadata save, they all go to 'Unknown'.

The only workaround that works more often than not, is to delete the xmp file on the disk, and then re-save the metadata.

This is increasingly a problem, as I have to run a smart collection of images with suspect metadata status values, and attempt to fix them.

Please note that this is Lightroom 6, but there doesnt seem to be a forum for this version any longer...

All help very much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feels to me like it is a network malfunction, or a hard disk malfunction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm not sure. There is a secondary behaviour in so far as once the metadata write has failed in a given Lightroom session, thats pretty much it unless I delete the XMP file and save a new xmp file. However, close that Lightroom session and start a fresh Lightroom session, then select those images again and save/write metadata again, most if not all will write the changes to the xmp files. If any fail, then closing the session and starting Lightroom again and re-saving the metadata changes for the affected images usually succeeds.

Whilst being a pain, keeping a smart collection of 'Metadata Issues' allows me to keep tabs on the failures and re-process the collection whenever I open up Lightroom so that I can stay on top of the problem.

I only discovered this after I posted the above topic, so at least its a useful workaround.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still feels to me like a network or hard drive problem, perhaps intermittent. You would be wise to consider that as a possible explanation and investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's a Network or NAS Problem.
Because the Pictures, same project, before or past the faulty Picture didn't have these issue.
And after quitting LR CC (8.1 Build 1200465) I could resave the metadata.

I use am MacBookPro 2017 OSX 10.14.2 and Synology NAS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2022 Jun 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try to Copy the catalog on local drive or desktop if your catalog is on external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines