• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Management Help

Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was a long time legacy LR user before abode went to a cloud system. I currently have the LR/PS photography package with 20GB of storage. I'm constantly running out of space.

I would like to set up a system where I store files at home on a Linux server but edit/access the files on my home laptop. Is this possible?

Anyone with any advice?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Lightroom Classic needs the images to be local, but that can be a NAS.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would I need to have LrC on both the Windows Laptop and Linux Server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was a long time legacy LR user before abode went to a cloud system. I currently have the LR/PS photography package with 20GB of storage. I'm constantly running out of space.

By @jones75g

Running out of space WHERE? And are you running out of space from Lightroom Classic (LrC icon) or from Lightroom (Lr icon)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running out of space on CC. Id like to set up a linux server on an old PC and store the files on a external SSD. Then access and edit the files on LrC on a windows Laptop. Hope that makes sense

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide the answer to my other question: "are you running out of space from Lightroom Classic (LrC icon) or from Lightroom (Lr icon)?"

So are you saying that you'd like to stop using Creative Cloud storage and stop using Lightroom, and replace it with this server setup where all your photos will be stored on this server, and access all photos via Lightroom Classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if im not explaing it properly. I currently use LR with CC but storage is an issue. doing some reading I think I need to go back to LrC and store the photos locally. I use a gaming laptop to edit but i dont want to store the photos there. I'd like to set up a storage system/server on an old linux machine. I realize LrC is not available on linux but i want to make sure that i can access the photos from the linux server on my Windows Laptop. If i do this can I use CC to store previews and still be able to edit/delete photos from the cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If i delete files on the cloud would they be deleted locally on the server? Hope that makes sense

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The LR/PS photography package with 20GB of storage is meant for use with Lightroom Classic, even though you can also install and use Lightroom desktop from this package. If you want to store your images locally, then use Lightroom Classic, not Lightroom desktop. You can sync images from Lightroom desktop to the cloud. These will be smart previews, that do not count against your 20GB cloud storage so you can sync as many as you want.

There is no version of Lightroom for Linux, but you could edit the synced images from a Linux computer by going to https://lightroom.adobe.com.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was considering setting up a wireless file server to access files. Would this be too slow to edit across the network. I assume a hardwired network would be faster but is a wireless network usable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't answer that because I never tried.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines