• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having no luck with Canon 5D Mark IV tethered shooting in Lightroom CC 2015.8

Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having no luck with Canon 5D Mark IV tethered shooting in Lightroom CC.

The support page lists the camera as being supported for tethering. Lightroom sees the camera, it comes up as Canon 5D Mark IV, the camera is on and USB cable is connected, click the LR shutter button, nothing happens.

Tethered shooting works fine in Canon EOS Utility 3.

I followed all Adobe's support page instructions for troubleshooting. Removed preferences file, restarted lightroom cc.
Behaves the same.

Maybe I am doing something wrong or maybe there are some bugs in the support for the 5D Mark IV tethered support in LR CC. I had used my 6D tethered in LR 5, I know how it is supposed to work. Any suggestions?

I have talked to someone who has it working with Windows 10.

I am running Windows 8.1 with latest updates.
Adobe Lightroom CC 2015.8 release.

Lightroom sees the camera, just does not see the settings and does not release the shutter when pushing the shutter button. If I pull the USB cable it sees the camera is gone. Really puzzled.

I still have Adobe Lightroom 5.7 64Bit installed on my machine alongside of Lightroom CC 2015.8, but I am trying this with Lightroom CC 2015.8.

I have gone into my preferences folder and removed the preferences files and restarted Lightroom CC 2015.8.

Lightroom sees the camera, just does not see the settings and does not release the shutter when pushing the shutter button. If I pull the USB cable it sees the camera is gone.

I have tried it with memory cards and without memory cards.

This is my screen with the camera connected, you can see LR sees the camera.

Capture LR edited.jpg

Hoping the techs here can help me resolve this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Yes you are right about the EOS Utility interfering with Lightroom, as I normally use Capture One Pro and I don't have any issues I switched to Lightroom and found that I had to kill the EOS utility by clicking on the icon on the taskbar and selecting exit or you may want to kill the process using the Process Manager.

Selecting 'do not start the EOS Utility automatically when a camera is connected' doesn't help because of the components in memory.

The other way you can do it is to use a 'watched f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found two solutions/workarounds.

They work both with Tethered shooting in Lightroom and with the canon utility app. Pity Canon has not published or informed users about this themselves. It would have saved a lot of frustration and time.

Option 1. remove the memory cards. In lightroom sometimes you can replace one card after the camera has been detected but it is unreliable.

Disadvantage is that you cannot use the preview on the camera screen. You nee to wait until the image is displayed on the computer screen.

In my case it worked in both Lightroom and Canon Utility with monitored folder in Lightroom. (little slower)

Option 2. Disable TFP settings in the camera. After disabeling TFP settings tethering worked as expected in both Lightroom and canon Utilities 3.  In this situation there is no need to remove the memory cards and he preview on the camera screen is available. Images are stored on both the computer and te memory card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also still problems to tethering in LR with Canon 5D mark IV !!!

My setup:

iMac 2017 Sierra (up2date)

Lightroom CC (up2dae)

Canon 5d mark IV (up2date)

Original USB 3.0 cable

Canon Utility 3

Issue:

Blinking computer symbol at the camera screen. (connect - disconnect - connect...)

Try troubleshoots :

1) Fix tethered shooting in Lightroom

2) Disable FTP and wireless in the camera settings

3) Applications/Canon Utilities/EOS Utility/EU3/EOS Utility 3.app/Contents/Frameworks/EDSDK.framework/Versions/A

Copy the contents of folder A and paste in Applications/Adobe Lightroom/Adobe Lightroom.app/Contents/PlugIns/tether-canon-plugin.lrplugin/Contents/PlugIns/tether-canon.app/Contents/Frameworks/EDSDK.framework/Versions/A

4) Tethering only in Canon Utiltiy 3 and Capture One 10 works fine and fast

5) workaround with "watched folder" and Utility 3 is very slow?

6) with formated CF/SD and without

7) Testing tethering with my old Canon 5d mark III, no problem!

@Adobe, you know the issue, please fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I FIGURED IT OUT. Go to Task Manager and kill anything that says "EOS". That fixed the problem immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just uninstall any EOS software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what happe to me is....first for windos you have to uninstall every software for EOS, then just wait because the issues is not LR is windows, I tried in my 2010 Mac Pro and works just perfect like plug and play so I gues windows need and update or canon needs and update for windows no LR.>....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jan 2022 Update:

New MacBook Pro, OSMontery 12.1 + LightRoom Classic (not CC) 11.1 +  Canon 5D mk IV.

"CAN'T FIND CAMERA" for almost 2 days of frustration.

Thanks to the above posts over the years - I made a connection for now. (BTW, camera had worked in LR6 + OS10.) 

Try this - seems to jumpstart the first hookup:

• Fresh boot and open LRc.

• Remove card(s)

• FTP off  and WiFi off

• Turn ON enable without card

• Attach tether cord, then Tether Capture in LRc files menu - camera and computer have made contact! Images on computer, but not camera back.

• Put card in camera

• Turn OFF enable without card.

If necessary, Tether Capture again - I got RAW images on both compter and camera back!

It appears the tether connection works without all the above now. Just plug in and turn on and tether.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(See above) Also, I have never loaded Canon software to my computers since I switched to LightRoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are still having issues, try using a shorter cable for tethering. That solved my problem. I used the cable that came with the camera (maybe 3ft long) instead of my Tether Tools 15ft cable and that apparently was the issue. My husband (an engineer) said it was an issue with voltage drop because of the long cable most likely. I did buy the TetherBooster Pro from Tether Tools last night as well, so I'm hoping that will allow me to use the 15ft Tether Tools cord with no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevanphotos,

I had similar issues when I first tried my new 5D Mk4 on LrC 6(?). Workaround was a specific order of card install and powering up equipment and the TetherTools Power Extension... Eventually (maybe through an update), I could use the camera without issue or booster on the 15ft Tether Cord.

CHECK YOUR CAMERA FIRMWARE! I updated the camera firmware to version 1.3.3 and tethering works flawlessly now. LrC 2022 v11.1 + Canon 5DmkIV + 15ft TetherTool cord to MacBook iOS 12.1 + USB to USB-C adapter. You can find firmware updates on the Canon website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the firmware up to date and had tried pretty much every other suggestions I could find in multiple forums. The shorter cord was the only thing that worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines