• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I add local image folder without importing?

Enthusiast ,
Jun 15, 2024 Jun 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My current folder structures looks like this.

2Charlie_0-1718460864373.png

Currently in the LR library it shows all of folders listed here except the iPhone folder. In LR, how do I simply just add the iPhone folder to the library instead of creating a new folder in the library and then import all the photos/images in the iPhone folder? If I do a Sychronize folder, I can see the iPhone folder. And if I'm correct, doing it this way avoids importing but I'm not 100% sure.

What I'm trying to avoid is duplicating images in my Media volume. That is why I want to add the existing folder instead of importing. I do not want to import images form iPhone to another iPhone folder; thus, duplicating the files.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 15, 2024 Jun 15, 2024

correct, the top center option (#2 in my list above) tells LR how it is to handle the images during import. 

"Importing" refers to adding the image location and metadata to the catalog. "Organization" of the files on disk is different from importing and can be accomplished by "copy" "add" or "move."

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the screen capture of a folder on your Computer Hard Drive, if not provide info on what we are looking at?

Images must be imported into Lightroom Classic for you to view and edit them in the Lightroom application.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.4,;) 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the screen capture is an image of my computer's external hard drive. It's actually a NAS system that I mapped. Does importing means copying the images and making duplicates? I know for sure that if import from my SD card, it actually copies files over. However, in this case, it's already store in the hard drive. I just want to show all the files in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing by choosing "ADD" as Johan mentions above does not create a copy. Obviously that's not a good option for SD cards; in that case you want to choose the "COPY" or "COPY as DNG" option. But for permanently attached drives, ADD is what you want when the files are already organized the way you want them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a permanlly attached drives. So I want to add instead of copying. However, the "Add" above does not do anything when clicking. Where else on this screen I posted below is what I need to click to "add" instead of copying?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a 3 step process:

1. choose the folder on the left (as you've done)
  2. choose ADD at the top (tells LRC how to handle the images)
  3. click Import (as you've highlighted in the lower right.). 

I would also deselect the "Don't import suspected duplicates" and don't worry about the "Add to collection " option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so eventhough it says "Import" at the bottom right, in this case, it's only going to Add instead of copying, correct?

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

correct, the top center option (#2 in my list above) tells LR how it is to handle the images during import. 

"Importing" refers to adding the image location and metadata to the catalog. "Organization" of the files on disk is different from importing and can be accomplished by "copy" "add" or "move."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just import that folder and choose 'ADD' at the top of the import dialog. That will add the folder (and import the images without moving or copying them).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you referring to this Add option at the top here?

2Charlie_0-1718468963132.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clicked on the "Add" at the top and nothing happens. And I beleived the "Import" at the bottoms means copying.

2Charlie_0-1718469237697.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The import means register into the Lightroom Catalog file, it's a data based file there are no images in the Catalog.

The other thing you are asking about is if you also Place in a Collection, here again Collections in Lightroom is only data stored in the Catalog, no copy of the images involved.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.4,;) 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines