• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I fix a white reflection in a photo using Lightroom Classic?

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a photo of 2 people against a shiny reflective background. The end result was there was a bright white reflection between the 2 people. Can you help me with which tool I should use to remove or change this in Lightroom Classic?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 11, 2024 May 11, 2024

Yes, I see the adjusted photo. Thank you for taking the time to fix it and allowing me to use it. I'll need to learn and practice the Generative Fill a lot more. I really appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing the photo would definitely help in trying to give good advice.

From your description, I'd simply try to mask the background and adjust it.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2024 May 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the photo. Thanks for any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's blown out (sensor saturation), it's a Photoshop job. Then you need to rebuild that area, and probably also correct diffuse flare in the faces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As asked, posting the photo would help.

Depending on how your camera exposure is set, your 2 people could be under exposed.

If you want to change the background, that is PS work. LrC will allow to select and adjust the background but as noted if blown out, not much can be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the photo. I am a beginner photographer and would appreciate any help. I have only used Lightroom Classic. Do I need to download Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a prime example why on-camera flash is bad. For future reference, run, don't walk, on over to the Strobist blog ands start learning about using flash.

https://strobist.blogspot.com/

As for fixing this image, yes you'll need Photoshop or similar image editor.

In Photoshop, my approach would be to use the magic wand to select the hotspot, then use a Curves adjustment layer to get the brightness and color close to the background, then finally finish the repair manually with clone tool and healing brush.

There are a bazillion tutorials on YouTube showing how to do operations like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestions. I will give this a try and read up on Learn How to Light.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The newest versions of Generative Fill in Photoshop make that easy.  Draw a lasso around the bright spot and let AI figure it out.   With most of the work done by Photoshop, a little exposure adjustment with a Lightroom Classic brush finished it.   Start to finish was about 5 minutes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill, thanks for replying. I drew a lasso around the bright spot and clicked on Generative Fill then clicked on Generate. It reduced the white spot by 25% and wouldn't remove more despite using the Generative Fill then Generate with the lasso 4-5 times. Now the spot itself looks whiter. Did I do something wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be how you drew the lasso.  I'm new to Generative Fill.  Did you see that I posted an adjusted photo file for you to use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2024 May 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I see the adjusted photo. Thank you for taking the time to fix it and allowing me to use it. I'll need to learn and practice the Generative Fill a lot more. I really appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines