• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I learn the date on which photos were taken?

Participant ,
Jan 21, 2018 Jan 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Lightroom Classic contains photos taken over the years; all of which have been edited.

How do I learn the date on which they were taken?

Cliff (In Spain)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 21, 2018 Jan 21, 2018

Dates on scanned photos are sometimes wrong. Dates on photos from digital cameras should be correct, unless the clock on the digital camera is set wrong. In either case, these can be changed in Lightroom using the menu command Metadata->Edit Capture Time...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Library Module, on the right, under Metadata, the date the photo was taken is shown next to Capture Date (make sure the dropdown menu under Metadata is set to Default)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please....where is the Default in the dropdown menu?

Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 1.57.51 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right where it says Default

The capture date is shown in the screen capture you provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't blushed since I was a boy but as I'll be 87 next month I thought those days are well behind me.

However this little episode is so embarrassing it deserves a blush.....

Thanks DG.....you helped me a while back and once again I'm grateful.

Warmly,

Cliff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A problem DG...I'm finding that some of the "Capture Dates" are correct. BUT not all.

I'd appreciate your comments.

Warmly,

Cliff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dates on scanned photos are sometimes wrong. Dates on photos from digital cameras should be correct, unless the clock on the digital camera is set wrong. In either case, these can be changed in Lightroom using the menu command Metadata->Edit Capture Time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry dj..please look at the screen captures showing a Capture Date of 10 January 2018 rather than what I know to be a few years ago.

I tried clicking on the button on the right of Capture time and also on Capture Date but without success. (Using "Change To files creation date")

Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 10.44.57 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 10.51.32 pm.png

Warmly,

Cliff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I referred to a menu command in my previous message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The EDIT CAPTURE TIME window states "Modify the capture time stored in this photo by entering the correct time adjustments below"

I can't enter time adjustment as I don’t know the correct date on which the photo was created. That’s the information I hoped would be given by Lightroom.

Warmly,

Cliff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't make sense to me. You want the software to figure out what date the photo was taken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"You want the software to figure out what date the photo was taken?"

Yes. I had believed that to be possible.

I had thought that the creation date would be shown after clicking on "Reset" while in DEVELOP mode. Or in "History" after clicking on the first item in the drop down list.

However as neither of these options yielded the original date I concluded that I must be doing something incorrectly. Hence my question.

Warmly,

Cliff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the date is not in the photo file, then the software cannot help.

Where did this TIF file come from, anyway? What is the source, camera or scanner? If camera, how did it get turned into a TIF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If the date is not in the photo file, then the software cannot help." I understand.

"Where did this TIF file come from, anyway?" I take the 5th Amendment DJ. Not because I want to but because I don't have the answer.

"What is the source, camera or scanner" The source is my camera, a Sony "Cybershot DSC RX100". Although sometimes I take pics with my iPad then send myself an email with a photo included  and then import it into Lightroom.

Warmly,

Cliff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some software turned the camera photo from a JPG or RAW, into a TIF. If you can figure that out and find the original (JPG or RAW), the date the photo was taken should be in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank DJ....

Warmly,

Cliff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines