• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make a proof copy when Lightroom doesn't offer?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I first turn on soft proofing on a virtual copy, Lightroom offers to make a proof copy. But if I don't do that then, in later work the option is never offered. Also, sometimes I make and modify proof copy for a particular profile, but then wnt to make a proof copy for a different printer. Lightroom never offers to make a second proof copy. (I know I could just work on another virtual copy, but I find it convenient that Lightroom identifies proof copies in the gallery.)

Is ther a way to make a proof copy when Lightroom is not offering the Make Proof Copy button

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

A proof copy is really a virtual copy with soft-proofing options applied, so you can make a proof copy at any time by creating the virtual copy first:

1. In the Develop module, choose Photo > Create Virtual Copy. 
  2. Enable soft-proofing as you normally do, selecting the output profile you want. 

The only time Lightroom Classic offers to create a proof copy is when you have enabled soft-proofing and then you change a setting in the Develop module, because editing color or tone while viewing throug

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

You have to be in Softproofing mode (S key), hence with a particular output currently chosen to softproof FOR. Then a button appears below the Histogram.

Or if you make a 'first' edit within this context, that button is in effect pressed for you.

One difference between this and normal Virtual Copy creation is that the particular output profile that is active, gets associated and also shown as the "Copy name" - instead of the default Copy1, or whatever. So as you hover over a given proofing copy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A proof copy is really a virtual copy with soft-proofing options applied, so you can make a proof copy at any time by creating the virtual copy first:

1. In the Develop module, choose Photo > Create Virtual Copy. 
  2. Enable soft-proofing as you normally do, selecting the output profile you want. 

The only time Lightroom Classic offers to create a proof copy is when you have enabled soft-proofing and then you change a setting in the Develop module, because editing color or tone while viewing through a specific profile is assumed to be intended to be specific to the output conditions represented by that profile. Therefore Lightroom Classic offers to make a proof copy, to keep output-specific edits separate from the full range original.

Using either method, you can make as many proof copies as you want, customized for any number of output conditions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to be in Softproofing mode (S key), hence with a particular output currently chosen to softproof FOR. Then a button appears below the Histogram.

Or if you make a 'first' edit within this context, that button is in effect pressed for you.

One difference between this and normal Virtual Copy creation is that the particular output profile that is active, gets associated and also shown as the "Copy name" - instead of the default Copy1, or whatever. So as you hover over a given proofing copy in the Filmstrip, you can see from the naming shown just above, what output profile this particular copy version relates to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Conrad and Richard. You're very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines