• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I save an with white background once I apply masking?

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I save an image with the background being white after I select the subject and add white masking for the background?

I want to save the subject WITH the generated white background, but whne I save it, it simply has the normal background before the masking.

I'd like to keep the background of the photo white, instead of it disappearing when I save the item, IE, keep the masking.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The subject cannot be saved as a separate image in Lightroom because you are working with a single image. What process are you using that makes you think you are saving the subject with the white background as a separate image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case, I am wanting to save this image with the background removed via the masking feature. Is there a way to actually remove the selected area and make it white, instead of simply masking the area off? I'd like the background to be removed.

Might be expecting too much from the feature, but since it can select the subject, why not be able to remove the background based on what it detects as the subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you just haven't finished the job. Unfortunately, I'm not the one to tell you how to finish it because I'm still learning. There are tutorials on YouTube that you might want to go watch. And keep watching this thread because someone who has learned the new masking process that is that I have can tell you what needs to be done to finish what you are wanting to do. Sorry, I just can't take you where you need to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you're understanding my question.

Is there a way to save the entire photo, as it shows in the main screen there, with the white background? As when I go to export it normally, it saves with the original background.

In other words, will it allow me to "cut" the old background out, and save simply what is selected in the mask as the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No.  Lr-Classic is not a 'pixel' editor that can replace parts of an image with 'white'.

A white 'mask' is just that- a mask- an overlay- that indicates where you are applying an adjustment (Brush, Gradient).

You can however select the subject, invert the mask (to affect the background),  then use the adjdustment sliders to go to extremes of Exposure +4, etc.

Ideally Photoshop is the tool for this task.

Having applied the adjustments (the mask disappears) then you need to Export the image, or [Edit-In] Photoshop to finish off.

2021-11-09 17_52_25-Window.jpg2021-11-09 17_52_56-Window.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines