• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to sync Smart Collections with Ecosystem Clients

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Collection synching / Lightroom Mobile is a great addition to Lightroom 5.4. Please extend this functionality to Smart Collections as well.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

While you are waiting for Adobe to implement that suggestion, you could have a look at this plug-in from Jeffrey Friedl: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/smart-collection-sync

As Jeffrey himself admits, it's a bit kludgy....but it does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 342 Replies 342
342 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to the game, so forgive me if this a basic question, but I'm not being able to sync any Smart Collections in Ligtroom Classic.

I've already created the collection, I have the sync turned ON, but I don't see the option to sync any Smart Collections. I've seen a bunch of videos on how to do this, but I can't find those settings on my software. Any suggestions?

I'm using Lightroom Classic v11 on Windows.

nijacha92_0-1635849953310.png

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Smart collections cannot be synchronized, unfortunately. Only normal collections (where you add pictures manually).

Hope that helps,

Michael

Michael Niessen - Photographer, photo-editor, educator ([moderator deleted the URL from the signature. Kindly note that URLs in the signature may be considered as spam])

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could however look at Jeffrey Friedl's "Smart Collection Sync" plug-in: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/smart-collection-sync

In his own words, it's a bit kludgy but it does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Any Source plugin also provides syncing of smart collections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently it is apparently (feedback from Adobe helpdesk) not possible to share a subset of a collection (filtered by starts, keywords etc) in lightroom CC on mac without first haveing to create a new collection that contains only the filtered results. If you filter a collection, then click the "make public", the resulting url will still point to an album with ALL the pictures rather than the filtered ones only. The filters are powerful tools to discect large collections. To extend this functionality to sharing would be extremly helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A collection filtered by various criteria is a smart collection. Syncing smart collections with LR Cloud is one of the most popular feature requests for LR Classic:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-ability-to-sync-smart-collections-with-desk...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, when Adobe released LR Cloud and renamed the traditional LR to LR Classic, they announced there would be no more enhancements to the syncing between LR Classic and LR Cloud.  A workaround is to use the Any Source plugin to synchronize smart collections with regular collections and sync the regular collections to the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That link no longer works. Where can I vote now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if Adobe has any plans to allow Smart Collections to be sync'd?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if Adobe has any plans to allow Smart Collections to be sync'd?

By @OlaGarp

We are not Adobe here, we are just other Lightroom Classic users, who have no clue what Adobe plans to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been requested for many years already, so it's a near certainty that it probably never will be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Jeffrey Friedl's excellent little plug-in.
It'll automatically sync your smart folders to LR Mobile.
I've used it for years. It's donation ware.

Install and set-up is simple and he provides a video-link with step-by-step instructions.
(His explanation of how it works seems a little daunting, but that's more so you can understand what it's doing in the background)
http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/smart-collection-sync

Like many pros, I have far too big a shot library have all my photos syncing to the cloud (nor would I want to).
So the whole "everything on the cloud" mantra is a non-starter.
But I still need an efficient way to make sure specific project shots as well as my 5-Stars are always synced to my iPad.
Jeffrey's plug-in delivers a much needed capability in a simple, elegant way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 06, 2023 May 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

9 years later and still waiting. There must be some BIG, HARD thing about this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 06, 2023 May 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think about this question and scenarios that complicate the problem.

Imagine a Smart Collection that assembles all your 5-star images (hundreds or thousands)- If this were synced, and you changed all photos star rating to '4' -then the smart collection would change drastically- (NO photos if all photos at 4-stars!).

It is easy to see how Smart Collections can change (depending on criteria) and a Sync of the SC could be drastically changed by a simple key press.

OTOH- Standard Collections are relatively stable. Photos in a Standard Collection can be synced- no question or ambiguity.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"9 years later and still waiting. There must be some BIG, HARD thing about this..."

When the Lightroom cloud ecosystem (mobile, web, desktop) was announced (Lightroom Classic 7, not called Classic then), Adobe publicly announced there would be no more improvements to the sync between Lightroom Classic and Lightroom Cloud.  It's not hard technically -- Adobe just decided not to invest much in Lightroom Classic except for Develop and other improvements directly related to image quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 27, 2023 Dec 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1.3K upvotes, and nearly 10 years later, there's still no movement on this. Lightroom Classic seems to be a dead end with regular Lightroom as the future.

To shape that future, everyone here should vote for 👇 this idea:

Votes

Translate

Translate