• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to avoid long path for My Cloud Home in Lightroom Classic on Mac

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use WD My Cloud Home as the place where I move the photos after I'm done working with them in Mac. 

But the path to the external hard drive is shown under the Macintosh HD and the path to it is very long, making the actual folder name where the files are invisbile.

My old drive mapped separately (Public on the screenshot).

Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 11.20.07.png

Pictures folder on the screenshot is the local folder in my Mac where I put the files at first (all good with that).

The only way I know how to add the folder in the Library view is Add new Folder... -> Select the folder from my NAS but it creates then this folder under the HD with the very long path. 

Finder shows My Cloud next to HD and Network

Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 13.03.56.png

Does anyone know how to add a folder from My Cloud Home in Lightroom Classic so the folder tree would not be shown?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Thanks for clarifying. So the issue is not the display of the folders, but that too many upper folder levels are showing. In your screenshot, it should be possible to get to seeing only "Pictures" and "Fotografia" listed immediately below Macintosh HD. Have you tried right-clicking (Cmd-click) on the intervening folders - starting from the top level that is visible - and choosing Hide This Parent?

That option is IIRC not presented for a folder with any imported images directly inside, nor for

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshots are not enlarging for me, but if I understand your query correctly, I think you may need to just change the folder path display option, reached from a submenu by clicking on the + icon in the title of the Folders panel.

See help article here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/lightroom-classic/help/create-folders.html

and scroll down to the section "Choose how a folder name displays".

For example I have mine set to "Folder name only" and my Pictures folder - which is not the primary part of my image library - displays like this:

richardplondon_0-1651326450355.png

but if I change the display option to e.g. "Folder and Path" then it looks like this instead

richardplondon_1-1651326630798.png

and "Path from Volume" looks like this:

richardplondon_0-1651326777965.png

Could that be it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Richard.

Unfortunately this is not solving it. I also realised that what I want is to get rid of the directory tree - should have summarised it better. 

Basically above the highlighted 2016 is the folder named "Fotograafia" - this is what I'm interested in, and all the above folders should not be visible. 

Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 11.20.07.png

WD My Cloud Home is not giving the option anymore to map the drive, probably this is the case. Lightroom sees it as a folder on the primary HD because WD has decided to do some mumbojumbo. 

But still hoping someone has met the same challenge and solved it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying. So the issue is not the display of the folders, but that too many upper folder levels are showing. In your screenshot, it should be possible to get to seeing only "Pictures" and "Fotografia" listed immediately below Macintosh HD. Have you tried right-clicking (Cmd-click) on the intervening folders - starting from the top level that is visible - and choosing Hide This Parent?

That option is IIRC not presented for a folder with any imported images directly inside, nor for a folder whose parent folder is showing. So you have to start from the top level and work down. 

Once the parent of a given folder is not being displayed, that folder gets listed as if it was a top-level folder in the storage volume. I don't know how this MyCloud system is specifically 'spoofing' the OS, but LrC should (I believe) act according to whatever folder path it thinks it is seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 19.01.22.png

Voilaa - I've been using LR extensevely over 10 years, but did not know about this specific one. 

Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Most welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines