• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to flip back to previous image in Lightroom Classic

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done a bit of searching on this with no luck.

My question is: Lightroom Classic/ Library view: 

How do I flip back to previous images that I have been looking at ?

When I am looking at images on my harddrive and trying to create collections. I want to flip back to images I have been looking at - possibly in a different folder. But when I click out of an image or folder, I have to remember where I was - there is no "return" or "back" button to return to the previous image or folder.

Is there any simple way of doing this? I figure there must be - as Lightroom is basic (and foremost) a file organisation program. But for the life of me I cant figure out how.

Any help ?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the Filmstrip visible you will see the selected photo folder and title.

The Context menu at the end of the title will give you a list of recent locations-

2022-08-02 20_05_01-Clipboard.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. Very Helpful. 

But ... I still wonder if there is a more "natural" way. 

It will still help achieve what I desire - so thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the 'recent locations' menu requires only two clicks of the mouse, but there is no 'one click' or 'one keyboard shortcut' that will return to previous.

Another method might be to mark the Folders you are currently working with as "Favorites", and then Filter for "Favorites"- This will 'narrow down' the Folder panel in a temporary basis making it easier to swap folders.

2022-08-03 10_37_35-Roberts Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a lot more to it. Similar to a web browser, the commands Window > Go Back and Window > Go Forward step backward and forward through the Recent Sources list. There are keyboard shortcuts for those commands, shown next to them on that menu.

The two arrows near the Recent Sources list are button shortcuts for Go Back and Go Forward, stepping backward and fotward through that history list, again like a web browser.

Lightroom-Classic-Recent-Sources-and-buttons.jpg

So that’s at least four ways to navigate recent sources: The Recent Sources list, the Go Back/Go Forward commands, their buttons, and their keyboard shortcuts. You can use the way that’s most natural to you.

Sources can be folders, collections, and other sets like saved books and print layouts.

There is a problem with the way this works. Every time you return to a source, the first image is selected. What everybody wants is that when you return to a source, the image that was selected when you left that source is still selected when you come back. But it doesn’t do that, and despite the number of times it comes up, Adobe has not made it a priority yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try the Any Source plugin. It has two commands, Back To Previous Source/Filter/Selection and Forward To Next Source/Filter/Selection.  I've got them assigned to Ctrl B and Ctrl F on my Mac. It keeps a history of the combinations of source (folder, collection), filters, and photo selection, so if you're wandering through a catalog looking for a particular set of photos, you can easily get back to where you were.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you haven't done anything other than viewing images, you can use <Ctrl>+Z (windows) to step back through keystrokes including choosing other images or changing the source of the images to other folders or collecitons.

Another trick I use when doing such things is to just hit the letter "b" on the keyboard to add "candidate" images to the quick colleciont as a navigate around.  Then by looking in the quick collection you can see all the images you've considered on one screen to decide which to move ahead with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines