• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to keep settings different across tools

Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title might not be correct but here is my issue.

Say, I select the brush tool in LR with a + 0.5 exposure increase.

Then I switch to the radial filter. It is set at + 0.5. If I change it to some other settings, these settings are now those of the brush tool.

Is there a way for each tool to keep its own settings?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have opened each of the tools and set them to a "default" setting and closed each tool. After having done that, that is the setting that the tool will open with each time regardless of what setting was last used. Sometimes I will make an adjustment before I apply the tool, and then that will become the new default setting. So then I have to reset the tool to what I want my real default to be. I like the default to usually be with all of the sliders set to 0 so that I can customize each adjustment. That might sound somewhat awkward to some but it works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope.

Open brush tool. Set it to +0.5 exposure. Do not do anything. Close it.

Open radial filter. Set it to +1.0 exposure. Do not do anything. Close it.

Open brush tool. It is set at +1.0 exposure - NOT +0.5 where I had left it at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know then. Maybe the difference is that I clicked the Reset button so that all of the sliders were set basically to the 0 position before I closed each tool. I don't see much value in setting a particular numeric value as a default in each of the tools. I'd rather be able to adjust each tool specifically for each image. But then I'm not looking at your images and don't know your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create and save presets, so that each time you want to use the brush and you want exposure -0.5 and contrast +10 and saturation +10 (for example), you create that effect, then save it, and then to use it you select that preset and go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah but not what I want. Even presets are "in the way". Say I use a brush preset to enhance irises, then when I switched to a graduated filter, I am "stuck" with the iris preset settings. If I change that, then when I go back to another iris, boom, I lost my settings and need to reselect the preset. LR must make my workflow simpler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Submit a feature request to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, I agree with JimHess. If you put a setting like +5 on the brush tool, and then close that tool then open another, the settings are sticky. SO you simply double click he setting to set it back to 0 or just slide it where you want it.

Basically I just  adjust for each image individually. Or if I want the same brush setting for multiple images, then I apply the brush to one image and then sync the other images.

Just habit and I have never found that it slows me down.

Everyone has different, very different editing methods and "workflows" and LR is the fastest tool I've ever used. Still it like any other software cannot be everything to everyone. I know several excellent photographers who only use Bridge and Photoshop and others who only use Lightroom.

I find using Lightroom and Photoshop both to be the best system - and like everything, you have to establish your own habits (aka workflow)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also - in order to be able to have presets and custom presets, I supposed that the programming requires a setting to be "sticky"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines