• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to prevent Lightroom auto adjusting on Import? Or how to revert to older profile?

Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have noticed that when Adobe introduced the new 'Adobe Color' Raw Profile - that it is now automatically applying some drastic adjustments to my Raw files when I import them into Lightroom.

For example

]https://i.imgur.com/jYk7olG.png

The bottom image here shows how they look when I first view them in the Develop Module

Then suddenly I notice Lightroom starts auto applying some preset on top of the images (which I assume is the new color profile)

This then results in the top image - which is drastically different.

Is there a way to prevent lightroom from doing this?

It did not used to do it in the older version.

I prefer to edit my images from neutral, hence shooting in RAW, rather than have Adobe apply an auto adjustment on my behalf.

Strangely I do not have the option in the profile view to change it to camera neutral either. These were shot with a Mavic Pro as an FYI

https://i.imgur.com/Tihhahx.png

Hopefully someone can offer some insight.

I realise I could revert to an earlier version but I like the new feature where you can hover over the develop presets and see their results on the larger preview.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom does not auto adjust (unless you tell it to do so), but the Lightroom raw engine is different than the camera raw engine. That means you will always see a difference. You can use the camera matching profiles (rather than the Adobe profiles) to try to keep the difference as small as possible. Adobe created these profiles for this very reason, but not all cameras are supported.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the response but you haven't answered my question at all.

Firstly, how can I check if the auto adjust option is enabled?

Also, how do I use the camera matching profiles as opposed to the inefficient Adobe Color?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is a camera neutral profile available for your camera model, it should be available under the camera Matching tab in the profile section. I almost hesitate to refer you to this link. But you may be experiencing the same issue I have encountered with profiles with the latest release of Lightroom. Read what I have experienced and see if it sounds familiar.

Lightroom Classic CC 7.3.1 won't update my default settings | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mattm76452942  wrote

I appreciate the response but you haven't answered my question at all.

Firstly, how can I check if the auto adjust option is enabled?

Also, how do I use the camera matching profiles as opposed to the inefficient Adobe Color?

Thanks

How do you check if the Auto Adjust is enabled? How about looking at the slider settings in the Develop module Basic block? If they are all at zero, then there was nothing adjusted. If they are not at zero, then you caused this either by selecting a preset on import or by changing the camera default.

To use the camera matching profile as default, select it with an otherwise non-adjusted image. Then press the reset button while holding the Alt-key. That will give you a dialog where you can change the camera default to the current settings, i.e. the settings with that profile rather than Adobe Color.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charles,

What you have mentioned is a real problem. When I compare the same JPEG and the imported raw file to lightroom. I can definetly see the difference. One thing I noticed was in the detail tab. The sharpness was applied by default. I am not sure if there anything else other than that has been applied. If you could find out more, please do post it in this thread. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You may not get an answer from the previous authors in this 2018 forum thread, but-

Comparing the Camera JPG and the RAW is like comparing a 'Cake' to the 'ingredients'- they will rarely look the same.

JPGs are edited by the Camera!-   For White Balance, color, etc, and converted to 8bit 'compressed'.

RAW files need to be edited by Lightroom-Classic with a Profile (and possibly a Preset) as chosen by YOU.

This link is still useful-

Why do I see my images change after they are imported into Lightroom? | Laura Shoe's Lightroom Train...

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines