• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to retrieve a deleted image .dng file?

Enthusiast ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I deleted an image from LR by mistake. Can I retrieve it? Where?

Thanks,

Raphael

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Yep! The VC is gone. But not the original master file! you will still have that .DNG

An immediate CTRL+Z would have done an un-do to recover the vc.

Also you may be able to recreate a similar vc from the 'master' photo if the master contains editing steps in History before you created the vc.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First look in the Trash or Reject Bin. If it is there you can restore it to its previous folder location.

If not in the trash- Copy it from your backup disk - the disk where you keep a backup copy of ALL your files.

If no Trash or Backup- then your image is gone! The only option is to use "Recovery" software- hopefully before it is overwritten on the hard-disk. "Recuva" is one such freeware recovery program. Commercial companies could do it for big $s.

If you manage to recover the file to its original folder location you will need to re-import it into the Lr Catalog again. If it had extensive editing done you might restore a 'Backup' Lr catalog that contains that information- but ask more advice first.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

It's not in Trash and ... it was virtual image, so I think it's gone forever.

Right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep! The VC is gone. But not the original master file! you will still have that .DNG

An immediate CTRL+Z would have done an un-do to recover the vc.

Also you may be able to recreate a similar vc from the 'master' photo if the master contains editing steps in History before you created the vc.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never thought of History! I could have done it right there and then.

Maybe next time. Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also deleted my dng file folder, that extensive editing was done on lightroom... I have the original raw and jpg files...  Is there no way to export this files without the dng file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@alvinlee8409 From your short explanation I believe-

1) Your photos indexed in LrC were DNG format.

2) You deleted the DNGs

3) You have  the Proprietary raw files in a backup. (Are they NEF, CR3, ARW, etc?)

Your possible way to restore links to the images in the Catalog library would be-

1) Use the Adobe DNG Converter to create DNG versions of the raws -IN ANOTHER FOLDER. (Do NOT overwrite originals!).  DNG CONVERTER INSTRUCTIONS 

2) Move the DNGs back to the folder that was deleted and remains referenced in the Catalog.

LrC should then recognise the DNGs and allow you to Export derivatives. The Converter could also do this 'move' for you if you direct it to the same folder name & location that was deleted!

There is NO IMPORTING to be done in this procedure! Got it? NO IMPORTING.

If you deleted the FOLDER or IMAGES from the Catalog then that requires further advice, such as restoring the Catalog from a Catalog Backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines