• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to sort images so RAW files show first, before JPGs?

Participant ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot with Nikon so my RAW files are NEFs. I would like to sort my images in Lightroom by type or by extension but I want my NEF files to appear before the JPGs and not the other way around (which is what I'm getting). I've done this many times before and can't get LR to do it with this last shoot.

What have I forgotten?

Using LR Classic 2021 on a Mac. That's the latest LR I can use because my OSX is Mojave. I hope there's a solution without needing an upgrade. I've done this in older LR versions.

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to be fighting the conversion of proprietary files to DNGs. D comes before JPG. That's a solid solution to your need. It works for me - my 100,000 photos are listed as DNG first, JPG last.

There is simply no need for such a significant "solution" to this "problem". As explained above, both the "File Extension" and "File Type" sort orders do sort alphabetically....but the sort order can be reversed by using the A-Z/Z-A toggle switch. That way is is simply a single mouse click to get "Raw" files listed before "Jpeg" files when using "File Type", or to get ".NEF" listed before ".JPG" when using "File Extension".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Except, toggling will not only reverse-sort the file type groupings - it will also reverse-sort the images within those groupings.

Personally when I an interested in seeing the images of one particular file type without other file types mixed in, I find it sufficient to filter the view to momentarily show ONLY that file type - the view remaining sorted by capture date and time throughout.

IF the main aim is to 'push out of the way' the JPGs coming from a Raw+JPG camera setting - if it is routinely inconvenient to you to see those mixed in with the Raws - this does raise one obvious question: did those subsidiary JPGs need to appear at all, as separate images inside LrC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines