• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to sort where file added to collection lands

Contributor ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anytime I added a file to a collection it also landed at the top.  now it's landing at the bottom.  how can I redirect?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked that on my Win 10 LrC 10.2 setup. Sorting in Collections works just like sorting in Folders. If the order of your images has reversed, it is probably be cause you clicked on the A-Z/Z-A sorting in the tool bar. You can position the images any order you like in the collection by clicking on the image it's self, not the frame and draggig it to where you want. If that collection is synced to the cloud, the order in the cloud will change, too.

Additionally, the normal sort is by capture date which you can change in the tool bar Sort: selection. If you added a new image to the collection with a newer date than the rest, it will go to the top if sorting is on A-Z and Capture Date.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go into Library mode, go into Grid view (#1), and click on that collection.

Then Click on the order forward or backward (#2).

Be sure you're sorting on the thing you want to sort on (#3) such as date, time, name, etc.

2021-05-24_17-02-25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in grid view, A/Z or Z/A, capture time = images are all over the place, no rhyme or reason, random.

in grid view, A/Z or Z/A, custom order = half the recent additions are at the top and half are at the bottom.

Up until recently I haven't had this problem.  All additions to a collection went to the top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, don't know how I previously had A/Z or Z/A but I just experimented.

set to Z/A and custom order-everything now goes to the top.

so thanks guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke too soon.  A/Z and custom order arranges all files the way they are supposed to be.  Latest additions at the top.  But when I now add a new image it goes to the bottom.

This never happened before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me add in again here: it all depends upon what criteria that you are sorting under: if you have things sorted by file name, you will get a different sort order than if you are sorting by date. The A- Z or Z-A will only reverse whatever sort criteria you have set in Grid view. 

If you add new images to old folders what you're sorting by WILL make a difference and you will get different results.

Let's say your original images were called _U325ab.jpg. Now much much later you have images _U125.jpg If you have the sort order set by name, the latter images will sort into the wrong place than if you sorted by date.

Check your sort criteria and see what that does. 

Unfortunately you have to go into Grid view to see what sort order you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kayak107 Is it possible that the image date is earlier than the rest in that collection? When LrC starts doing strange things, try resetting the preferences. Here is the Lightroom Queen's page showing how to do that.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the sort has to be Z-A.  That adds all images to the top.  I suspect that I may have changed it at one time to A-Z without realizing.   Thanks again.  Sorry for the trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had to call Adobe support for another issue I was having with LrC.  They reset my preferences.  It resolved my problem plus made it so much easier to drag files within a collection/folder.  I did check out your suggestion but was too afraid to attempt the reset myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines