• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import from Folder - Unchecked Thumbnails have a vignette effect

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get rid of the vignette effect on unchecked images? I'm trying to import images into a collection from a file location and when I uncheck all I get this vignette effect which makes it very difficult to see the images and distinguish between shots.

LR Unchecked Vignette FX.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

caitiekay  wrote

Too bad.

Thank you.

Why is it to bad? Unchecked images in the import dialog means they will NOT be imported. Why would you care how images that won't be imported are displayed in the import dialog window?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecked images will show this effect. There is no way to turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too bad.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

caitiekay  wrote

Too bad.

Thank you.

Why is it to bad? Unchecked images in the import dialog means they will NOT be imported. Why would you care how images that won't be imported are displayed in the import dialog window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because I don't want to import everything in a folder and some of the images are very similar. If I can't see the difference in the folder import dialog window then I need to import more than I want or import the wrong ones. Then I need to remove. All extra steps. If I can compare the images BEFORE I import them to a collection that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you double-click on an image in the Import screen you see an enlarged version (Loupe view).

There's a checkmark underneath or else you can Press X to un-check, P to re-check.

You won't see the vignette effect in this view. You can step through photos using left and right arrow keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

caitiekay  wrote

Because I don't want to import everything in a folder and some of the images are very similar. If I can't see the difference in the folder import dialog window then I need to import more than I want or import the wrong ones. Then I need to remove. All extra steps. If I can compare the images BEFORE I import them to a collection that helps.

Ok I understand your logic but by default when you open the import dialog and select a folder on your drive or select a memory card to import from all image are Checked (Have a Check Mark and Will be Imported) and the only way to De-Select them, Un-Check them, is to do that one by one or use the Uncheck All button at the bottom or actually Select them all and then hit the space bar to uncheck them.

If you are doing one of those things to Un-Check all of them first I suggest you stop doing that.

To expand on Richards post above once you double click on the first image you can use the Arrow keys to move to the next. Then if you don't want to import it you can use the x key to uncheck it. While in the Loupe view even if the image file is unchecked it doesn't get any vignette on it.

Also I just noticed something. Even in the thumbnail view if the image is highlighted there is no vignetting. Only when you move to, highlight, another image thumbnail does the vignette happens on the one unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you all. I know that I can look at the loupe, or thumbnail. I would like to compare side by side. If I have a number of images that are slightly different then I could see them all in the grid view and select the ones I want.

I uncheck everything because I usually don't want most of the photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

caitiekay  wrote

Yes, thank you all. I know that I can look at the loupe, or thumbnail. I would like to compare side by side. If I have a number of images that are slightly different then I could see them all in the grid view and select the ones I want.

I uncheck everything because I usually don't want most of the photos.

The only way to do a Side by Side is to import all of them and do that in the Library module.

I must say that the import dialog is for just that, To Import images into the LR Catalog file. To weed out duds is best done in the Library module.

You can go through your images and hit the x key to reject the ones you don't want and then hit Ctrl + Backspace to bring up the Remove images dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

because it's incredibly annoying to have unchecked vignettes. I need to be able to see the images in my workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just looking for the same thing, how to change that irritating dark vignetting. I know I can scroll through the images one by one and then select each one while they pass my eye, but selecting multiple images in the overview window with the thumbs is very hard. Weird choice for UI. Why not just give the images a green and/or red border. That way the thumbs can be judged for selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same reason as stated above. The import dialog is for Importing image into the LR catalog.

For weeding out the ones you don't want you use the Library module and ther tools available in that module.

Sure you can De-Select images in the import window and even use the Loupe View system to do that (Similar to the Library module).

If that really doesn't fit your needs I suggest you look for some other program that does do what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is true, but when you have a folder with many many images of which you only want to edit a few, then it is not necessary to import all images into the catalog. Currently I view my images with another program, then remove the ones that are bad or duplicates, then import a few of the ones that are left. If the import dialog was only for importing then LR would not need the select/deselect tool imo. But since it is there, I wish the thumbs were better visible for faster selecting, so I use the large images now to scroll through them and then select the ones I need for import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like a lot of work. My workflow is that I import, regardless of the quality. Then I check each image and mark some with a flag and some as reject. The flagged pictures will be edited and eventually exported.

Abambo.
ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that really doesn't fit your needs I suggest you look for some other program that does do what you want.

By @Just Shoot Me

That's not actually how continuous integration/continuous development works. End users are expected to provide feedback to product development teams to suggest improvements to the user interface and user experience.

So I'd suggest you brush up on the basic principles of software development, UX/UI engineering, and the feature lifecycle, particularly from the entry point of the system (end-user feedback) before making those types of suggestions to people.

Source: Bachelors Degree in Information Systems and Professional Software Engineer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest you to raise this at the feedback site: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightroom.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will :).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this could be fixed it would be very appreciated. My workflow is:    put the sd card in > open lightroom> start filtering photos at the import stage > then start rating > after a few pass throughs of rating, I start editing the ones I'm keeping. I don't want to import all of the photos, then have to go through all of them, and delete the ones I want. I don't have unlimited storage on my computer and on some projects I have up to 10,000 photos, which makes it impossible to upload all of them, I need to weed out replicates, blurry and otherwise junk photos at this import stage. This is why the vignette is incredibly annoying, as I have to squint, get closer to the screen or adjust the thumbnail size. How hard would it be to add a Vignette toggle? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines