• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import locks the UI up

Engaged ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: Lr does actually lock up and stops importing as verified by the read/write LED on my card reader. When the CPU hits 200% and the app says "not responding" the LED stops flashing (not transferring). 

________

I'm seeing an issue that's been plaguing me for about 2 years. When I go to import files, LR pegs two cores and beachballs my mac. The files are importing as normal it's just that the UI totally locks up. Mid-import, the UI is released and I can interact with the import but this is a brief moment before the import locks the UI again. 

• 2022 Mac Studio
  • 20-core Ultra - 48-core GPU
  • 128GB RAM
  • 2TB internal SSD (56% full)
  • 32" LG 32EP950 + 27" LG 27MU67 screens
  • MacOS Ventura 13.3 but has been happening for Ventura <13.3
  • Lightroom Classice 12.2.1 but happening on versions previous to this
  • I use various SD cards from a pool of 12. All are 64GB varieties of SanDisk Extreme Pro (95MB/s, 170Mb/s) and Lexar UHC-II and UHC-I. I've been using these for seveal years and not an issue until recent LR versions
  • I'm using a Lexar SD card reader a backside TB4 port using USB adapter, but the same issue happens when I use the built-in SD card reader on the front of the Mac Studio.

The import speed doesn't seem to be impacted. It's just that the UI totally locks up and beachballs. 

Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 12.56.37 PM.jpg

red = not responding

[ ◉"]
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to import files, LR pegs two cores and beachballs my mac.

I am not a Mac person. Does "beachballs" mean that the computer is frozen and it has to be restarted? If so, this is almost always caused by 1 of 2 things: bad/corrupted/out-of-date drivers or hardware malfunction. If it always happens at Import, then a likely cause is the computer is overheating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Beachballs mean I can't interact with the UI. Sometimes it's system wide, but for this case, it's only inside LR. I can use all other apps on my computer without issues. The issue has persisted through reboots of the system and LR app. It could be that Adobe's M1 ARM code needs work.

I experienced these hangups on my previlous iMac Pro but I'm currently on the very new Mac Studio which has a dual copper cooler and VERY efficient dual-cpu. The temp rises a few C when I export using all 20 cores (2000%) and doesn't go up at all when doing imports using 2 cores. I'd suspect the computer/os if it was happening elsewhere. I do heavy video editing which can peg the CPU and GPU on the same die. Everything else I work with is flawless and fast. 

[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines