• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing NEF files

Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic is not importing NEF files from my Nikom D600?
I processed the pictures in Nikon software NX Studio and converted the pictures to JPG format but the Lightroom Classic is still not importing it? It shows Done but not Import.
I have processed NEF files before without any issues, so whats wrong this time? Thanks

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

That screenshot, missing areas on right side. Is that due to the way you took the screenshot, or is info actually not being displayed? On a MAC, the Import button would be to the right of Cancel. 

Have you, perhaps, dragged your LrC screen, to far to the right, cutting off some of the display?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

If the above was not it;

That lack of an import button just screams buggy behavior, as in the preference file is corrupt. The prefrence file will survive updates, upgrades, uninstalls, reinstalls. If it gets corrupted, then you need to restore it (a.k.a. resetting). This will cause the existing preference file to get deleted, then upon LrC restart, a new fresh preference file will get created. Note that some settings inside of preferences may revert to defaults.

see: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then camera model has been supported for a very long time. From what you indicate, it doesn't seem to be a problem with just the raw files. Any error messages? What operating system? What exact version of LrC are you using? Have you imported images in the past? More details would really be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the onset, thanks for the promt reply.
I am using MacBook Pro 15inch , 2019.
Operating system is macOS Big Sur ver 11.5.2
Using Lightroom Classic ( subcription Photography Plan)
There are no error messges. 
From my older lightroom catalouge I can see that have imported and processed NEF files.
Checeked the files permisiion . They are set at Read & Write

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still awaiting Help for my orginal post ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You indicate that you are using "the subscription plan". But what exact version number of LrC are you using? That would help provide some pertinent information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know how that would help as the subscription plans are always updated to the latest.
Also that I have used it in the past to edit NEF photos before but somehow not importing this time ?
Anyway this Adope Lightroom Classic is showing 10.4 release. Camera Raw 13.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In any case I have editerd the NEF files in the excellent Nikon's software NX Studio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason I asked for the exact version number is because some users think they are using the latest version when in fact they aren't. If it bothers you to answer the questions then I apologize. It's possible that editing the images with the Nikon software is affecting the status of the images such that they are no longer able to be imported by Lightroom. I know that users who have used Nikon Transfer to download images from their camera or card have found in the past that that software has corrupted images so that Lightroom hasn't been able to import them. Incidentally, Lightroom Classic is compatible with Camera Raw 13.4, but the plug-in is not part of normal LrC operation. The technology is all built into the Lightroom program. I probably haven't given you any suggestions that will help you. I hope you get things figured out eventually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the detailed answer. No offence of any kind as you are trying to help me solve my issue!
The NEF files were downloaded from the camera to a folder in an inbuilt external hard drive in my Mac and from there I was ,as usual ,trying to import it into Lightroom Classic. Nikon transfer was not used.
When I could not import/edit in LrC , I transferred the same to NX Studio and edited the pictures. The output was in JPG format. I have not tried to import these JPG files into LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikon had a problem in the past with older versions of NX studio where it would make the file unreadable to Lightroom. To test this, import a picture into Lightroom without going to NX Studio. Does it import then?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not importing pictures through NX Studio to LrC but directly. Upon selection the screen say Done but not Import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot of your import screen.Interested in:

• Is Source via Device or Files
  • Where in the source have you clicked on, in what part if file structure
  • Import method (see bellow)
  • Destination if applicable
  • What thee grid view shows.

Lightroom Classic is still not importing it? It shows Done but not Import.

Untill you select at least one image, the Import button will be gray, might get unnoticed.

Also, how are you importing?The mechanics.

• SD card in internal card reader
  • SD card in external card reader
  • SD card in camera, camera connected to computer via USB
  • SD card in camera, connection to computer via WiFi

And, what method of import (agg, after editing, I am repetitive, but I will leave this in)

• Copy as DNG
  • Copy
  • Add
  • Move 

If the method is ADD, then, and bear with me on this odd recommendation, temporally change it to Copy, then under Destination, make sure that destination is a valid location, any valid location, point is if it is pointing to a destination that no longer exists, then LrC fouls up, even though it is not where ADD would be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be aware that edits made in Nikon Studio to the NEF will not be visible in Lightroom-Classic.

The JPG exported from Studio will show the edits.

Nikon have just released an update to Nikon Studio v1.0.1, have you updated?

My test with a D750 NEF show no problems- Both the NEF and an exported JPG were able to Import in to Lr-Classic. Strangly (in my Dell XPS-13 8Gb RAM) the Import preview thumbnail of the JPG was slow to change from a blank grey to eventually show the thumbnail.

Rob_Cullen_0-1630712492219.png

Do you see the files listed in the Previous Import list after you see "Done"?

Rob_Cullen_1-1630712662718.png

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yuvi25_0-1630780176251.png

This is the screenshot of my LrC  when I am trying to import. On the right bottom panel it shows "Done" . Clicking on it does nothing. It should read "Import". Also on the left expanded panel this file is not showing are not showing ?
Maybe this time I am doing something wrong? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to tell from your screen capture as part of the GUI is cut off. 

Can you upload one of the NEFs in something like Dropbox or similar so others can try importing? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if you do NOT use Nikon NX first, you try importing without, it does import? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used NX Sudio only now when I was unable to import into LrC.Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That screenshot, missing areas on right side. Is that due to the way you took the screenshot, or is info actually not being displayed? On a MAC, the Import button would be to the right of Cancel. 

Have you, perhaps, dragged your LrC screen, to far to the right, cutting off some of the display?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

While some area to the right may be missing in the screenshot, the fact is there was no Import button! Otherwise there would be no problem for me to import the NEF files. Only when the preference file was reinsatlled as listed below, the Import button appeared!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the above was not it;

That lack of an import button just screams buggy behavior, as in the preference file is corrupt. The prefrence file will survive updates, upgrades, uninstalls, reinstalls. If it gets corrupted, then you need to restore it (a.k.a. resetting). This will cause the existing preference file to get deleted, then upon LrC restart, a new fresh preference file will get created. Note that some settings inside of preferences may revert to defaults.

see: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eureka!!! 
Yes the "Import" button is visible now!
Imported some NEF files and it worked!  So many thanks.
However I have lost my Prefrence menu all settings ( all reset) and would appreciate guidence for the same?
Thanks once again and to everyone for their advice.
Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to mark the reply that fixed your issue a correct, so others can see what one it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for altering the settings in preferences, you will just need to work thru them, putting them back the way you want them

here are some articles:

Lightroom Killer Tips | Important Preferences and Catalog Settings

The Lightroom Queen | Lightroom Performance – Preferences & Catalog Settings

Lightroom Guy | Lightroom Classic Preferences & Catalog Settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines