Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Impossible to edit LR-classic-files in Photoshop

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2024 Jun 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Following the transfer of Photoshop and Lightroom from iMac to a new Mac Studio with M2 Max chip, using Mac OS Sonoma 14.4., I experience the following problem: while in Lightroom choosing edit in photoshop, photoshop opens but the picture file from Lightroom will not open. The following message appears: Could not open file, because the file is locked, or because I do not have the necessary rights (to the file), or the file is used by a different program. I have never experienced this before. How do I solve it?  All my pictures are stored on the same external discs as before. The preferences in LR are exactly the same as previously. 

Currently I have LR Classic 13.4 and PS 25.9

Sven F

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2024 Jun 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the external disk in the Finder and choose 'Info' (or press Cmd-i). In the info dialog that comes up, look at the way at the bottom for the disk permissions. Do you see a checkbox 'Ignore ownership for this Volume'? Is the box checked? If not, check it (click the lock and enter your Mac password to make that possible).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2024 Jun 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Johan, 

Thanks for advice. I have checked both of my external disks, and this box is already checked in both of them.

Sven  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the other permissions settings? This does sound like a permissions problem. If you change some of these settings, then do not forget to click on the dots icon and choose 'Apply to all enclosed items'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Johan, 

I have now checked what I think is the dots icon, and chose apply to all enclosed elements. Settings as shown in picture below, except the dots settings are hidden. 

No change in behaviour LR and PS. Perhaps an idea to restart the Mac after these settings have been changed?

Sven 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A restart is always a good idea.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The restart did not make any difference...........

Sven 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop can open files stored on my external disks when I use PS and directly surches raw files in my directory. Difficult then to understand why PS will not show files when asked to from LR. 

Sven 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2024 Jul 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you could try is uninstall both Lightroom and Photoshop (keep the preferences) and then reinstall Phtoshop first and Lightroom after that. The order is important. This often solves problems with sending images from lightroom to Photoshop.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this already, installing Photoshop first.

Sven 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last idea: try resetting the preferences for Photoshop, and if that does not work also for Lightroom.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Johan, 

All of a sudden, after my last comment to you a few minutes ago, I closed PS and LR, then restarted LR - and it works! It is now possible to edit files in PS via LR! Beats me what happened, just happy they communicate normally!

Many thanks for your advice - much appreciated!

Sven 

Thanks for your advice. 

Sven 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@SvenEF , it's good to see that your issue has been rectified, please select the post "answered " option to indicate which post provided the correct answer. Click on the ... on the bottom left of the post to access the option.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.4,;) 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you migrate the apps from the old Mac to the new Mac? Or do a fresh install?

If you migrated, try uninstalling them and reinstalling fresh copies from the Adobe Creative Cloud app.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a fresh install, and  have also uninstalled and thereafter installed PS first. 

Photoshop easily opens any file from my external discs , but PS still do not open the files when asked to do so via Lightroom. 

Sven 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, 

All of a sudden, after closing PS and LR, then restart LR - it works. It is now possible to edit files in PS via LR! Beats me what happened, just happy they communicate normally!

Thanks for your advice. 

Sven 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines