• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Lightroom Classic supported natively on M1 Macs?

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When is Adobe going to recompile for native M1?   I don't want all of my pictures in any cloud so I'm sticking with Classic.   I need to buy a new Mac and this is holding me up. 

Best,

Oc Man

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out! Native compatibility of Lightroom Classic with the Apple M1 processors is planned for 2021. The current version of Lightroom Classic 10.x runs under the Rosetta 2 emulation.

You can check out more details here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/macos-big-sur-compatibility.html#AppleSiliconcompatibility

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out! Native compatibility of Lightroom Classic with the Apple M1 processors is planned for 2021. The current version of Lightroom Classic 10.x runs under the Rosetta 2 emulation.

You can check out more details here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/macos-big-sur-compatibility.html#AppleSiliconcompatibil...

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 to this. When is Classic going to run natively on M1? It's been months and months- even longer when you consider that Adobe had advance notice (to produce CC for M1). This is getting silly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The help article linked to above contains Adobe's official statement: "Native compatibility is planned for 2021." Adobe rarely announces their plans, so this statement is unusual for them. I think it's highly unlikely that they'll get more specific (based on their past behavior).

LR releases about every two months, so we might expect the next release sometime in May. But there was an unusual patch release 10.1.1 in January, so their schedule might be a little off from normal.  Only Adobe knows whether 10.3 will have native compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being a user to user forum, those who know exactly a release date cannot tell you under NDAs. What you were told (it's coming) is about all anyone here can say. Be patient. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried emulated Classic on a 8GB M1 MacBookAir and it is/feels faster than my decked out 2.9 GHz 6-core i9 Mac Book Pro with 32 Gig of memory even in emulation. It's also lovely quiet instead of constantly ramping the fans like my MacBookPro does when running Classic. There is no reason to wait for the M1 version to be released. It runs just fine. There is a problem with edit in Photoshop if you have the M1 native photoshop installed (it won't work so you have to use emulated Photoshop) but that's it. I would fully expect M1 native Classic to show up soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to numerous positive reports like Jao's, there are also a number of reports in the forums about issues running LR Classic on M1 Rosetta emulation. Hard to know how many are true problems with LR-on-Rosetta versus an independent problem with LR occurring to someone who just happens to have an M1. But I recommend searching the forums carefully and considering those reports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always good advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for this ASAP as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hursey wrote:

Looking for this ASAP as well!

What are you looking for exactly? Because the problem in this thread is already solved: Lightroom Classic became Apple Silicon-native many months ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not Fully.. Tethering is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is over a year old thread and yes, the problem in this thread is  

solved. No mention of tethering. Start a new post about it.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines