Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue Loading Previous Edits

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2024 May 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey y'all,

For the last few months I've been encountering an irritating bug that I would love some help solving. 

I have a catalog of around 90,000 images--a mix of digital camera files as well as film scans. Running Mac OSX Sonoma 14.4.1 with Lightroom Classic 13.2 (CC, updating automatically).

The issue: In Library grid view, I see my edited images, but when I select an image, after a few seconds of "thinking", the edit dissapears and the image shows as if it just came straight from camera (unedited). This remains the same when I move into the Develop module. The edit history is still intact, so I simply have to navigate to the most recent (top line) of the edit history and select it to reload the edit. Almost like I'm reminding it that it's been edited. 

This bug only affects images from before a certain date. So if I import new images and edit them, they hold their edits just fine. But the majority of my libary is affected by this issue. It's not the end of the world because as I mentioned, the edit history is there. It's just an irritating step that I need to take. Going through and selecting the latest history for 90,000 images would take me forever. 

Is there a way of forcing Lightroom to apply the edit history as it does for my recently imported images? 

I have alreay tried building standerd previews for affected folders as well as reinstalling Lightroom. Neither have fixed the issue. 

I have also tried importing affected folders into a new catalog and some work but other folders trigger this message: "Lightroom couold not import this catalog because of and unknown error." 

Corrupred catalog maybe? What can I do about this?

Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I have now chatted with 4 agents who have all tried the same thigs and have all disconnected our screen share sessions as well as our help chats after not being able to resolve the issue. Stable internet connection. Feeling very frustrated and ready to switch to Capture One. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd.

Bring up one of the photos that are giving you issues. One that you have not yet corrected. Bring up the Develop Module. Over on the left, go ahead  (if necessary) and minimize the Preset panel, the Snapshot panel, and the Collections panel. Point being to maximize the History panel visibility should any of those panels get in the way.

DO NOT change what History state is selected.

Take a full screen capture and paste that into a reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 10.38.35 PM.png

Even just hovering over the latest edit history will preview the edit normally, and then it reverts when I move the cursor off that history mark. I can't screenshot this as even while screenshot is activated, as soon as the cursor moves off the history, it reverts. And if I were to click that history mark, it'd load and hold. I belive this is how it shoud normally work. Just weird that it isn't choosing to display the latest edit on its own...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2024 May 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• 2.png

So, that top history state is not selected, nor for that matter is any history state selected. As you have stated in your post. Very odd.

• I suspect that you have accomplished some develop setting copy/paste and/or syncs. is that true? Hence the "Multiple Settings"
  • I have noticed the history state "Camera RAW Settings" in one other discussion. It is not clear to me just what the heck that is. Some discussion that it may relate to accomplishing some Camera RAW outside of LrC then bringing the modified image back into LrC. Not a clue how. Can you educate me on that?

You stated that his does not occur for new images? Correct? That the top history state is selected for those photos, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made an error in my request. I should have specified (more clearly) a desire to see more info on that screenshot. Specifically the Histogram as it might have some data/info that screams out "Oh thats an issue", and now that I think of it, the filmstrip (that may or may not so info depending upon view settings).

Can you post a new screenshot, with everything shown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing. Updated screenshot attached. 

As for the "Camera Raw Settings", I am using a plugin called Negative Lab Pro which is used for converting negatives into positives. This is a plugin widely used within the film commnity and is one that I've used for a few years without issue. Also, I should note, this edit history issue also affects folders of images that have not interacted with this plug in. Normal digital camera files, both Sone (.arw) and Leica (.dng). Additionally, new images that I bring into this plugin are not affected by the issue either. 

I don't know how the calalog file works, but it seems to me like a portion of it is corrupted. 

Lastnight I tried renaming and moving my preview file away from the catalog so that it would generate a new one, hoping the issue was maybe a corrupted previews.irdata but the problem persisted. 

I did get a follow up email from Adobe support requesting I send them the catalog agian so hopefully someone there is taking a look. 

Anyway, I appreciate your interest in figuring this out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's screenshots of images from my Leica M10 (DNG), which did not ineract with the NLP plugin. No camera raw line in the histroy, so I don't think that's the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2024 Aug 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Aidan34202061y26e , just some thoughts.

Have you checked that you are using the latest update of NLP for your MacOS and the version of LrC you are using.

There is a user forum for NLP application, have you posted the problem you are having there? It is the author's of the Plug-in responsibility to ensure it is updated.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; (also Laptop Win 11, ver 23H2, LrC 13.5.1, ; ) Camera Oly OM-D E-M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2024 Jun 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue as you, a very strange bug by the looks of it.

Have updated to Lightroom Classic 13.3 and it has the same issue but behaves slightly different. Now when Lightroom loads the previews it automatically changes the thumbnail image (before I had to click on the thumbnail) to a version with no edits applied, but the edit history is intact just with no history state selected.

This is happening to me with photos taken on or before 7th April 2024, newer photos fropm 11th May 2024 behave as you would expect. I did upgrade my computer during these dates but my library is on external drives anyway and when I open my library on the older machine it behaves in the same way as the newer machine.

I was wondering if you had any luck resolving the issue since yoyur last post?

Regards

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey David, sorry to hear it. After a VERY painful week of trying to keep an Adobe agent on the online chat long enough to understand the issue (I kept getting disconnected at around 30 min after being connected with an agent, and needing to start from ground zero each time--this happened maybe 8 times), I was eventually asked to upload and email them my catalog, which they said was corrupted, said they fixed, and sent back only to have it function the same. We went through this two more times before they said the catalog was corrupted beyond repair. My last backup that loaded previews correctly was from 6 months ago so I duplicated that and started importing recent work from the broken catalog. This proved difficult as if I tried to import from before an unknown date I'd encounter an error message and have to start over. But I eventually got the new files migrated over and things are working as they should.

I'd imagine your catalog got corrupted when you moved it onto the external drive? Hard to say. 

Sorry again. I wish Adobe had better support. Very frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me Aiden, sounds like things have been very frustrating for you. Adobe support doesn't seem to live up to it's name so I'm glad you managed to figure something out. I will take your lead and have a look through my backups to see which is the last one that works and migrate using that version.

Many thanks for sharing your experience, fingers crossed this is just a one off occurance!

All the best

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2024 Aug 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone figure this out?

I seem to have the same issue and only way to fix seeminly is to select every photo and then select most recent history action. Thats 1.5 years of photos. Will take me forever to fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines