Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard shortcuts for masks

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, 

is there a keyboard shortcut to select specific mask? My workflow is usually i change some specific mask in every picture - till now i used shift-m, it showed a pin and I changed it right away, now every time I must click also on the specific mask on the right which is frustrating

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As far as I know, you can't select a specific mask with a single shortcut.

You can, however, enter the mask mode (with M,shift+M, K,etc...) then cycle through them with Alt/Option + up/down arrow.

Click on the ? in the top left corner of  the mask panel for more shortcuts.

Hope that helps,

Michael

Michael Niessen - Photographer, photo-editor, educator ([moderator deleted the URL from the signature. Kindly note that URLs in the signature may be considered as spam])

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes I will try to do macro on my mouse shift+m an then alt+down, but I think it should be made poissible in lightroom itself. 

LR is a tool for professionals which have different needs so every key shortcut should be possible to change, and there's should be the macros possible also

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @adrianc68190071 , 

I have the same question. This prolongs the editing process annecssary in my opinion.

Since the update we need another 'action' to see what masks are already on the photo. Normally pressing M (or K or shift+M) would show all mask pins already used, just the way it still works using the spot remeval tool (Q)!. But now it opens a new mask, without showing the old.

I hope Adobe changes this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bit frustrating indeed.

So far, the fastest way I've found to display all the pins after pressing M (or K) without having to click in the mask list is either with Escape or holding S. You can then hover over a pin to see the overlay, or click on it to activate that mask.

Hope that helps,

Michael

Michael Niessen - Photographer, photo-editor, educator ([moderator deleted the URL from the signature. Kindly note that URLs in the signature may be considered as spam])

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah thanks, I didn't realise that S shows the pins (and I read the 'Need help with Masking')... at least the S is easy to access. Just a minor adjustment in my opinion. Still hope they change it back 😉

Thanks for thinking with me @MNiessenPhoto 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking a the positive side, with this new masking method you can see the pins for everything, whereas before you could display only brushes or graduated filter or radial filters, not all at once. And of course now you can easily have mutliple filter types in a single mask (not necessarily useful all the time, but at least it's possible).

I think it's mostly a question of getting used to this new way of masking, it's been the same for so many years 😉

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's a positive change that now all masks are visible in one go. I do like to look at positives too, and I don't mind to adjust my keyboard 'routines' when it makes things easier in the end.

Although I think for the beginning user it complicates things a little.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines