Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyword List Hierarchy issue

Participant ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Classic v. 12.4
The Library Filter Keyword setting is set to "Hierarchy." View > Keyword > Hierarchy
I use keyword hierarchies extensively in my historical extended families photos project. See examples in attachments 1 and 2.
If I do a Keyword filter search in the Keyword List for "California," for example, I get the result shown in attachment 3.

With the triangle pointing down for California as shown in the attachment, it used to show not only California, but also the hierarchy of the place names subordinate to it. As you can see in attachment 3, it does not.

If I now click on the count for California ( 34 images with only California in the keywords of the images), it correctly displays in the grid, not only images for just California, but also the full hierarchy of its subordinates.

When editing (organizing) the keyword hierarchy, it was much more convenient when it showed the full hierarchy of places subordinate to California (in this example) in the Keyword list query result. What happened? Is there another setting that needs to be set? Or is that a functional change (bug) in a revision of the program somewhere along the path of program updates?

I had upgraded from LR 6 to LR Classic several years ago.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know which of your screenshots is number 3, but assuming it is the one that shows only Places and California - you have reduced down the overall list, to display only such keywords (and their parent structure) as match the text you have entered into the box at the top of the Keywords List panel. Once you clear that box you will see California again in the context of the full hierarchical list.  

In other words: this box does a Filter action - not a Find (Scroll To) action. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...that said, in the drop-down menu for the keyword search box is an option you can select called "show all keywords inside matches". When unchecked, a keyword needs to contain the search text in order to display. When checked, it needs to contain the search text and/or to have a parent keyword which contains the search text.

richardplondon_0-1692391946986.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's right. The attachments are ordered Left to Right (1,2,3). In the mean time, I also received the same answer on another community site. So all I needed to do was click on the magnifying glass just to the left of the "Filter Keyword" entry field and select "Show all Keywords Inside Matches."  Now, it does just what it used to do. It displays all the subordinate keywords of the filter word(s).

For those who might be interested, here is how I have been using keyword hierarchies to organize photos of extended families. I have 25,000 some odd photos using a lot of nested keywords. They span from the 1800s to current and to places all around the world. To help manage them, I created hierarchy categories: People, Places (including street addresses), Event Dates, Develop/print Dates, and a special category for managing relationships with more precision than simply nesting by names. My event dates are formatted as: "ev-yyyy-mm-dd", or "ev-yyyy", or any combination in between to allow proper sorting. The events are also sub-categorized by decades, ie: "ev-1950s" to allow more general result sets. Develop/print dates are formatted similarly: "de-yyyy-mm". Most develop/print dates show only year and month. Include days when needed. I also have a special set of keywords to help manage dates: ev?, ev-Est, ev-bef, ev-aft, ev-Rng (the two dates represent a range); names: nm?, places: loc?, loc-Est, loc-Near, etc.. That makes it easy to classify images for precision, or with unknown elements for possible eventual resolution. I discovered early on that these phrases cannot have spaces in them. The one shortcoming of this nesting is that any keyword may only belong to one "parent," ie., one hierarchical branch. I have created a work-a-round for that using initials of a person who belongs to another primary branch. My primary branch is on my mother's side. To link me to my father's side, I nest my initials "WCS" under my name along with the nams of my spouse and children, and use my initials in the other branch. My spouse uses her name in her primary branch and her initials in her secondary branch. Hopefully this will be helpful for some out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines