• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Library view: why photos look different than in the Develop module?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If i was not mistaken, quick develop panel controls how the photo was displayed. So it is at Default setting. I change it to Defaults -> Adobe Defaults. It looks the same.

Now going into Develop. Picture looks totally different. Going to the Presets panel, picking Defaults -> Adobe Defaults, and no change!

Therefore the picture looks different in the Library Panel and the Develop Panel.

I like the Library panel better, so how am i going to make the picture get the same settings in the Develop Panel ? (Which is the same looks the picture will look after export)

thank you!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide the version number of both Lightroom Classic and your mac operating system.

See the screen capture.

DF87CE24-A460-4DB8-9494-CF30BF3C6F2E.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, i did not think it is a bug, hence i did not put effort regardng that. But it is:

OSX 12.4, Lightroom Classic 11.3.1 Camera Raw 14.3 - Macbook 16" M1 Max

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to explain the Quick Develop panel, it updates all the exact same adjustments, that are also seen in the Develop module for each image. The only difference is that Develop lets you impose a new absolute value for e.g. Exposure, onto one photo or onto several photos together. The Quick Develop panel allows you to increase or reduce the individual prior setting for e.g. Exposure (in fixed steps), for one photo or across several photos together, all changing in a relative manner.

So Quick Develop and Develop settings are unrelated to the images looking different in both places. That is far more likely to be a colour management / display profiling issue - and there are a lot of replies already on that subject here, which you can search for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as i know Lightroom does not do color management / display profiling on its own, so for me it does not make sense. If it was handled by the OS both panels would look the same (plus i don't do display profiling on the os level anyway, because my monitor has a hardware color management). Plus if i chose any preset (anything different than default / Adobe Default) they will look exactly the same. I suspect it has to do something with a function during import: "build previews: Embedded & sidecar." Maybe it pulls some data (or preview image?) from the camera and uses that to display a preview. But i am not 100% sure yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@adamd74788287 wrote:

As far as i know Lightroom does not do color management / display profiling on its own, so for me it does not make sense. 

The entire app is color managed using the display profile and the data in the images/processing color space. Just like Photoshop and all other ICC-aware applications. 

Develop previews are unique to all other modules. At 1:1 zoom, it and the others may not match exactly depending on the source data (color space, if raw) but should be pretty close. IF NOT, the first thing to do is disable GPU in preferences; better? If that doesn't work, it could be a corrupted display profile; recreate it and make sure it isn't a V4 ICC spec and ideally, matrix, not LUT based. Better?

You must compare everything at 1:1 or greater, never zoomed out! 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. Pictures are far in saturation, brightness and color. Turning off GPU support did not make change.

Please allow me, to quote from Adobe regarding the "building previews" feature:

"You may already know that every raw photo contains one or more JPEGs that the camera has written inside the raw file.

These “embedded previews” are what you see on the camera’s LCD or in the electronic viewfinder, if you are using a mirrorless camera. You briefly see these embedded previews in Lightroom’s Import dialog too, until Adobe’s own raw conversion takes over."

I suppose the preview my r5c generate would differ from what Lightroom does. 

here: http://lightroomsolutions.com/embedded-sidecar-workflow-in-lightroom-classic/

If the problem related to a corrupt display profile i would consider it as a flaw in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@adamd74788287 wrote:

I see. Pictures are far in saturation, brightness and color. Turning off GPU support did not make change.

Please allow me, to quote from Adobe regarding the "building previews" feature:

"You may already know that every raw photo contains one or more JPEGs that the camera has written inside the raw file.

These “embedded previews” are what you see on the camera’s LCD or in the electronic viewfinder, if you are using a mirrorless camera. You briefly see these embedded previews in Lightroom’s Import dialog too, until Adobe’s own raw conversion takes over."

The embedded JPEGs in-camera raws are not used in LR/ACR after it builds its own proprietary rendering, a JPEG in Adobe RGB (1998) in all modules except Develop. Yes, you should never expect the camera JPEGs (in a raw or otherwise) to match LR/ACR. 

As far as differing previews in differing modules: If turning off GPU didn't work and the differences are great, it's more than likely a bad display profile. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the problem related to a corrupt display profile i would consider it as a flaw in Lightroom.

By @adamd74788287

A bad display profile is a bad display profile. That's nothing Lightroom can do anything about. Lightroom just uses the profile it gets from the operating system - and if that profile is bad, Lightroom can't display correctly.

This is how all color managed software works.

A profile is a map of a color space. The map has to correspond to the actual landscape. The display profile has to correctly describe the display's actual and current behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm experiencing the same issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines