• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 5 crashing when straightening

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 5 hangs and crashes very regularly ( about ten times in an hour ) when I use the crop tool and straighten the image? I tried deleting the preferences, increasing the cache, creating a new catalogue.... it continues to crash.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I don't use smart previews. I work with my files directly.  As for a boot partition, it is what ever was standard on an IMac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2013 Sep 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the release version of Lr5.2. Many of the crop/rotate bugs were addressed in 5.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yes, Ian's point is great -- if you are using the RC of 5.2, definitely goto Help > Check for Updates from within Lightroom and download the 5.2 release update.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Ian and Pete. I will do these things -- though I don't think going to LR's help menu item will profit me much, if my system stops when I run LR. But I can find the release candidate in other ways, so that'll be my first step... I'll post a report if there's anything worth noting. I'm not sure what hardware problem there could be -- I recently upgraded my CPU and video card, but it's hard to believe that LR, uniquely, has an interaction with either of these that would cause so drastic a hard stop. I know it's axiomatic that many PC problems are really video problems, so if it comes to taht I i may try uninstalling the AMD drivers and see if running the vanilla Microsoft drivers makes any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I succeeded in accessing Help | Check for Updates, and LR had time before things froze to report that it is the most current version (5.2.1, I think). I thought I'd try re-downloading the setup files via the CC download app, but clicking the Download button simply takes me back to the CC Apps tab in my cloud UI. This seems strange. When I click More Information under Ligthroom 5, I get We're sorry, something seems to be wrong on our end. Please try again later. Ah well, never mind that. Off to play in msconfig.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: First pass in msconfig, turning off start-up options, did not show success. Computer froze soon after I started using LR. Then I went to Services tab and unchecked a bunch of stuff. I've now had LR open and working, then closed, then open again, over a period of about an hour, without issue. It's not doing much for my blood pressure, as I keep anticipating the sudden halt, but I dare say in time these symptoms will abate...

I'm calling it a day here, so we'll see if tomorrow the situation remains the same; thanks for the suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good job so far Julian, Thanks for doing some of the work you've done for troubleshooting this far.

So it's sounding like there is a service that might be conflicting with Lightroom and causing those freezes. If you want you can further the troubleshooting here to narrow down which service might be conflicting by turning about 5 or so services on at a time, then test Lightroom out. IF all good, try turning on another 5 or so services, and test again.

Eventually LR may freeze after turning some of the services back on, at that point, you have an idea of which one it is (one of 5) that you can narrow down.

Hope this helps you out to get you up and running without freeze.

Many regards

PG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2013 Sep 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just spent about 40 minutes in LR without trouble, so I'm cautiously optimistic. Nothing I've turned off in Services appears to affect any functionality (I still have, for instance, my anti-virus software running, and my desktop image manager); but when I have some time, I will continue the experiment by adding items back in until I run into trouble. If I identify a culprit, I'll certainly post it here -- though as far as I can tell my problem, while similar to the 'crash-while-straightening' issue, isn't something others have experienced.

Thanks again for the very welcome assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2013 Sep 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great to hear you've been up without fail for a while now Julian.

If you do go through the services, and discover which one might be causing the crashes on your end, please let the forum here know. This might help other users as future reference.

Thanks!

Regards

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines