• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 5 slideshow shows a black screen

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I preview or play a slideshow in Lightroom 5 I see a black screen. I've tried it using various settings, images, lengths, and with the show saved or unsaved, all with the same result. In a preview I can see the show advancing through the slides; all remain black.

Sometimes (unpredictably) the screen isn't black, but rather two colors or color washes separated diagonally.

There are no videos in the shows. (A black screen for a slideshow with a video as the first slide is a known issue mentioned in the Lightroom Journal.)

Exporting to pdf works properly. An exported video shows as a black screen.

(Mac Pro, OS X 10.7.5, Radeon X1900 XT video card)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 12, 2014 Aug 12, 2014

Hi

I had the slideshow black screen too.  I fixed it by checking (when slideshow is open) Template Browser on

left of screen and selecting "Default +"  click on it, it does not highlight so maybe I unchecked it somehow.

Prior to that I cleaned the computer fans so the video card would run cool.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2015 Sep 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is pretty amazing for Adobe to be so unresponsive for so long.  I have the same problem which should be easily resolvable.  I tried to contact Adobe directly and can only be directed to these forums.  they have no direct email contact source? unbelievable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add another to the list with the Slideshow black screen.  I also have problems with video files.  Scrubbing through or playing video files cause LR6 to hang.  Video files cannot be played.  Ummm.... connection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2016 Mar 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same problem.  Currently running v 2015.3 on both Windows and Mac and neither will work in Slideshow module regardless of whatever I try to do.  Every time I get the black screen of death on both systems.  This is a disgrace quite frankly.  I wonder what the great Scott Kelby would have to say a about it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2016 Mar 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what I have discovered. Beginning with Lightroom CC or Lightroom 6 (I know, they are the same program) the slideshow relies on a compatible graphics processor unit (GPU). I don't have a GPU in my computer, and I still have Lightroom 4.4 installed. The slideshow works as expected in the older version, but it won't work in Lightroom CC 2015.4. In fact, it hasn't worked in any of the versions Lightroom CC. I guess our choice is to install a compatible graphics card that has a GPU on it. It seems to me the Adobe programmers could have included an  if/then statement that would have allowed all users to use all of the features. But, what do I know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2016 Apr 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried to use the Slideshow module for the first time.  I get black screens too.

I'm paying a monthly subscription for a product that isn't fully functional?

This is a disgrace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using LR CC 2015.5, have a compatible GPU on my computer, and have IE 11 as my default browser.  The slideshow works just fine, either Preview or Play within LR, and I can view the full-res video outside of LR.

As the reply above yours says, there is likely an  issue with your video card or its driver, that is not responding correctly when LR asks it to display the slideshow.

Are you able to enable Graphics Acceleration in LR / Edit / Prefs / Performance and have LR work correctly in Develop or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer doesn't have a GPU.

When I signed up for CC, there was no document that mentioned a requirement to have a GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure it does have a GPU, otherwise you wouldn't be able to see anything on the computer screen.  Can you post your Help / System Info... here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't have a separate GPU.

It just has the Intel graphics on the intel i3 CPU processor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it’s built into the CPU, ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, built into the cpu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here with LR 6.5 on a laptop thinkpad T420 / intel HD graphics 3000, windows 10 64bit: black screen when trying to preview or play a slide show.

GPU-processing under LR/settings cannot be activated because of "errors". Tried to uninstal, new instal graphic drivers: to no avail.

What's strange: with the templates "crop to fill" and "widescreen" applied the pictures show in slideshow "preview / play" but are unusably stretched horizontally or partially out of view, and the slideshow option "zoom to fill frame" does not work, i.e it does not make any change if activated or not.

Any solution / work-around?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a HP desktop computer, Windows 10, Lightroom CC 2015. I do not have a separate graphics card in my computer, just using onboard Intel integrated graphics and no GPU. I get the same black screen, although there is an outline where the image should be displayed. One of the Adobe staff people indicated in a thread a while back that the slideshow now relies on the graphics card and GPU. I still have Lightroom 4.4 installed on my computer. The slideshow works normally and as expected in the older version. So you can draw your own conclusions. But my guess is that if you want to use the slideshow in the current versions of Lightroom you'd better install a compatible graphics card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jim! Adobe should at last solve this issue reported by 1000s of users affected all over the internet since at least 3 years.

As stated by Adobe the setting "Use Graphics Processor" applies to the "Develop" module only, not to the slide show:

Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

Slide Show should work with each GPU, if integrated or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, maybe it isn't the GPU. I have just had to give up on using the slideshow feature in Lightroom CC 2015. It seems that I can't get a straight answer anywhere. All I know is that the slideshow doesn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have LR 6.5 on two different computers, Windows 7 and Windows 10, both 64-bit, one with 8GB and one with 16GB of memory, both where I'm able to enable the GPU without getting an error.   The slide-show generally works on each computer, both Preview and Play; however, this evening I tried to create a slideshow and it hung immediately saying it was building previews for image 1.  Apparently slideshow uses 1:1 previews and these images didn't have any, and or some reason the slideshow module wasn't able to build them automatically.

So I went over to Library and built the 1:1 previews using the menu option, then went back to Slideshow and things worked as expected without hanging, where in place of the building-previews step it merely scanned to make sure it had previews and continued on.

I've also seen messages, perhaps for the previous version of LR, where things worked or not depending on whether Internet Explorer was the default browser.

Finally slideshows can be made to repeat or not and can also be made to end in a black screen or not, so if you have told the slideshow not to repeat and to end in a black screen and are already on the last image, it may display that image and then go to black and stop.  Obviously turning on repeat and turning off ending with a black screen would keep any possibility of a legit black screen from showing in the slideshow.

My overall suggestion would be to set IE as your default browser, restart LR, build 1:1 previews for the photos in your slideshow using the Library menus, then try creating the slideshow.  Another experiment would be to export a video version of the slideshow and see if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ssprengel: thanks!

On my PC, win10, intel hd graphics 4600, there is no problem with the slideshow either.

Only my Thinkpad T420, win10, intel hd graphics 3000 is affected:

- under LR/SystemInfo it shows: check OpenGL support: failed.

- no change with IE as default browser

- pre-built 1:1 previews: still no slideshow

- Export slideshow as video/PDF: yes, it works, but it's too much hassle when wanting to show sildeshows spontaneously and fast select different sets of pics.

As i said, what's strange:

It is not really a "black screen" that shows with "slideshow preview/play", in some way what i can see depends on the slideshow template:

- with the templates "crop to fill" and "widescreen" applied the pictures do show in slideshow "preview / play" but are unusably stretched horizontally or partially out of view, and the slideshow option "zoom to fill frame" does not work to get the pictures into the frame, i.e it does not make any difference if this option activated or not; with those 2 templates no text overlays work, no EXIF/IPTC, identity plate.

- with the tempate "caption and rating" applied:

- with the 3 other standard templates "simple, caption and rating and exif": i see only the identity plate, the white "stroke border" (and this cannot be deaktivated under the "options" for the slide show) or the exif/iptc metadata but no pictures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OpenGL Support: Failed is probably the pertinent piece of information and maybe how little memory your video card has allocated to it.  It could just be running out of resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good suggestions ssprengel. Trouble is, I don't seem to have Internet Explorer. It isn't listed in "All Apps". But I have another question for you. I like to read your answers because you have a lot more computer knowledge than I do. As I explained in a previous comment in this thread, I can still run the slideshow module as expected in Lightroom 4.4 which I still have installed on this computer. No change in any settings, no setting any special default browser. Why do you think that would be the case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sprengel: i think the real issue is more the intel driver not genuinely supporting the graphics in my notebook T420 on windows 10, and especially no support for OpenGL for this "sandy bridge intel HD graphics 3000". There is a lot of frustrated discussion on Intel forums about that mess:

Intel HD Graphics 3000/2000 (Sandy bridge) Wind... | Intel Communities

I've been trying to instal several different intel drivers for the graphics and with each of them the diagnose tool AIDA64 states for my graphics under the section OpenGL:

vendor: microsoft

renderer: GDI eneric

version: 1.1

So no genuine intel support and LR apparently needs at least "Intel OpenGL ver. 3.3" to work satisfactorilly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR 5 is likely using a new method of generating slides, perhaps using a call to the video driver to do something.  It doesn't mean the GPU is actually involved if the video driver simulates the operation properly with software in the driver, but apparently that doesn't work all the time.

If you have a Mac then you won't have IE 11, but if you have Windows 10, then use Cortana (search) to find Internet Explorer 11.  Then right-click and pin it to the taskbar or start menu so it's easy to get to.  I gave Edge a few days and then put things back to using IE11 as the default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about other users here with the slideshow issue? What does it say on your systems under LR/Help/System Info/check openGL support: passed or failed?

Are there users here affected by the issue in spite of "openGL support: passed"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine says openGL failed.

My computer just has am i3 intel CPU with no separate graphics card. I guess intel CPU graphics doesn't support OpenGL

Looks like the problem could be the OpenGL issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about other users here with the slideshow issue? What does it say on your systems under LR/Help/System Info/check openGL support: passed or failed?

Are there users here affected by the issue in spite of "openGL support: passed"?

johnnzld schrieb: My computer just has am i3 intel CPU with no separate graphics card. I guess intel CPU graphics doesn't support OpenGL...

It does support OpenGL without separate graphics as well, but not under windows 10 with older CPUs like my graphics "sandy bridge intel HD 3000":

Intel HD Graphics 3000/2000 (Sandy bridge) Wind... | Intel Communities

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2016 May 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My system shows passed and I still have blank screen issue.  I created one before with no issue though.  So weird!  And my "play" and "preview" are fine, blank screen happened when I exported the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines