Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Catalog between 2 computers at home

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Sorry for posting again such topic. I've been looking for an answer but I found many answers not very clear so it brings even more confusion.

I have an Imac at home and I just bought a macbook pro.

How should I manage (copy) my catalog taking into account that:

- the purpose is for home using only. (no need over the Web or using Adobe cloud, but could use Adbobe Cloud IF really must do it...)

- I want to be able to switch Lightroom either from my Imac or from my laptop.

- I will use Lightroom on one machine at the same time. I know I cannot use Lightroom open simultaneously on 2 computers.

- I have a NAS where all my pictures are saved into it.

What the best solution?

Using an external SSD and copy the catalog inside and move it from one computer to the other??

Many thanks for all your ideas, thoughts.

Alex.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can not place the LrC catalog file on a NAS, but here are two articles that explain how to share it between two systems.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-to-lightroom-catalog-multiple-computers/

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/store-presets-with-catalog/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great links.

Just adding my 2c worth - I've been using the "self contained catalogue" method from the first link, where you store the catalogue and images on a portable drive and switch between laptop and desktop Windows PCs. I've been doing this for several months, editing 100 - 200 pictures a day (I have a 20 yr back log to work through!) and have not yet experienced any problems. I use a fast portable drive, connecting via USB3 c-connection on the laptop and a USB3 gen2 c-connection on the desktop.
Daily I copy the contents of the drive onto a backup. (Since I stopped backing up the previews folder it takes a lot less time to back up).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It freakin' boggle the mind that in 2022, when the entire world is interconnected and everyone is on one or more networks, that Adobe still thinks carrying your images and catalog around on a portable drive that can be dropped and damaged, lost, or stolen is an acceptable way to use Lightroom on multiple computers. It's not 2002 and more. Networks are a fact of life for EVERYONE. I really like Lightroom, but this idiotic limitation is forcing me to look at alternatives.

It is beyond stupid that Adobe hasn't addressed this. Every other application I have doesn't care where my files are located. A drive is a drive, whether it's on my local PC, a shared drive on another computer, or a NAS. Please Adobe, try to catch up to the 21st century.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has addressed this. It's software called Lightroom, which stores your photos in the cloud and allows you to access them from any device (mobile/desktop/laptop).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which lacks many of the cataloging features of the desktop product, and forces me to pay even more money to Adobe to store half a gigabyte of photos. Yeah, not quite the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you said Adobe hasn't addressed this issue of allowing photos to be accessed wherever they are located, cloud or wherever. And Adobe has addressed the issue. You may not like the way they implemented it, but they have indeed provided software that addresses this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a way that maximizes revenue for Adobe, not utility for the customer. As I said, a drive is a drive. The limitation on having the catalog on a network drive is an artifical limitation imposed by Adobe, not a actual physical limitation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe is using SQLite for the LrC catalog database, which is single-user. From their testing they found it to be unreliable in a number of NAS applications. Moving to multi-user SQL would be much more expensive causing Adobe to raise the monthly rates significantly. More at the below link.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/operating-lightroom-cc-classic-via-netw...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd,

Thank you very much for this quick feedback and both links.

Indeed, it seems Dropbox is my solution... I tried with a new catalog (for testing) and it works perfectly well.

I will later try with my true catalog and will see with time how it works!

Thank you again.

Alex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using Dropbox doing this same thing for a couple years and constantly getting errors and having problems. Occasionally it would work. I finally got myself a fast solid state external and saved everything there - no problems.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines