• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom catalog cannot be opened because another application already has it opened

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2008 Oct 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Oct 22, 2008 Oct 22, 2008
Try looking into whatever directory your catalog is in and deleting the ".lock" file with the same name as your catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 135 Replies 135
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this error message when I attempt to open my usual catalog; a new catalog opens OK. The problem began after a spontaneous reboot (never happened before or since) when Lightroom was loading. Re-starting the computer doesn't help. How can I unlock the catalog?

Windows Vista 64, Lightroom 2. 4GB RAMM, 2.6 GHz quad core processor, plenty of hard drive space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2016 Apr 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you find the .lock file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .lock file is in the same folder as your catalog file. If you don't know what folder that is, then use your operating system's search feature to search for .lock files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!!!! You saved me a LOT of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try looking into whatever directory your catalog is in and deleting the ".lock" file with the same name as your catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2011 Aug 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this solution. Worked great today for me!

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2011 Oct 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I had the same problem.

But honestly Adobe… is it too damn complex to search for another lightroom process instead of asking the user to close a non existant process? If you don't find the process you can easily assume something crappy happened and delete the lock file by yourselves and then check the integrity of the database.

I mean… shouldn't be that complex right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2012 Jan 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!   Worked like a charm.  I only encountered this error today for the first time after working with LR since release of version 1, and that was due to a sudden power outage.  Glad that finding the solution was this easy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh no,  i just did as suggested above. Great lightroom opens but all the grading i did on the pictures have gone! I even made a copy of the LRCAT file before deleting the lock file and LR was def closed as i just did a restart.

What happened to all the work i just finished? can i get it back. deadline 29 hours...

thanks.

info@stushapiro.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2014 Dec 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing the lock file works. Thank you!

EOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to find where to unlock this catalog but I cannot find it please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lock file is in the same folder as your catalog.

Unless you have told Lightroom to save it elsewhere, it wil be in the default location, which for Windows is somewhere in the My Pictures folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks so much! this worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also find the location under Edit > Catalog Settings > General,

Click Show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I found the file and deleted it and I am able to open the catalog now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for explaining it so well. This helped me!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2015 Mar 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made an account just to thank you! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2015 Apr 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You helped a lot of people including myself, thanks a bunch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Heaps. I was going crazy. Sue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2015 Aug 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for saving me so much work and worry!

Upgraded to Windows 10 and after a so called Critical update tried to run Lightroom and it asked for country and product code afterwards.  After update some programs needed product keys re-activated but all my Adobe programs seemed fine for almost 2 weeks until today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2015 Aug 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked perfectly for me, thanks! I was freaking out all day; should've looked for your wisdom earlier @DW_Harrison!

I had Windows 10 compatibility fears; looks like this has been a problem for awhile. So glad you asked the question @Harry_R_Matthews!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2015 Sep 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, deleting the .lock file worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2015 Nov 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2016 Jan 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, using windows 7, and cannot locate the file that is keeping this program from running.  Can you be more specific with where the ".lock" is located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines