Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC 2015.7 slower than death >:(

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE HELP ME.

I've been using Lightroom since before the CC days and have always been very happy with the program until recently. While I fully understand that the program is progressing quite quickly and could potentially render some computers obsolete for the newer versions of the program, I don't believe that this could or should be the case for why LR is running so poorly. Following the previous update I was encountering intermittent moments of extreme bog down in the program that I was hoping would be fixed by the most recent update, but have thus far only encountered a further lack of usability. LR is struggling to import batches of photos, giving me the spinning ball of death when I simply try to access menus, taking no less than 4-5 seconds to switch between photos, and the same time over again to respond to any of the editing sliders, presets, etc., giving me the spinning ball of death or crashing often times when I try to enter into the develop module, god forbid I'd want the luxury of switching between photos within the develop module instead of the library!

In short, LR is downright not useable.

I'm no computer genius, but these are things I've done as of now:

- I have turned off the Graphics Processor

- Dropped JPEG preview sizes in general

- In Catalog settings I have lowered both preview size and quality to the minimum

- Have increased my Camera Raw Cache settings to 70gb (which seems ridiculous)

- Have Optimized my Catalogs

Things I have not done:

- Turned off Sharpen, Lens Correction, Noise reduction for every photo (because I think this is absolutely ridiculous)

- Consolidated all of my catalogs

- Shrunk folder sizes

While I've heard that these last items can sometimes help, I refuse to pay monthly for a program that is going subject me to the rage of such tedium, and I refuse to believe that Adobe is that irresponsible that they would make this program so power hungry and memory intensive that it would be too hip for a 1 year old computer.

To either adobe or some interweb white knight, please help me make my photos sparkly and pretty before I set my computer on fire and throw an adult temper tantrum. I'd be eternally grateful for any help.

I'm currently working on a mid 2015 15inch Macbook Pro Retina with all of the system specs listed down below.

Lightroom version: CC 2015.7 [ 1090788 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.11 [6]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 2.5 GHz

Built-in memory: 16,384.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 16,384.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 578.9 MB (3.5%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 994.8 MB

Memory cache size: 96.3 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 8

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

Displays: 1) 2880x1800

Graphics Processor Info:

AMD Radeon R9 M370X OpenGL Engine

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Version: 4.1 ATI-1.42.15

Renderer: AMD Radeon R9 M370X OpenGL Engine

LanguageVersion: 4.10

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding my two cents. I just updated (had been holding off for a variety of reasons) - WOW do I regret that.  I am now running 2015.9 and it's SLOW SLOW SLOW - no reason for this - paying $50 a month and trying to crank out work and it's REALLY becoming an issue - IS Anything being done to correct or address this - from what I am reading it does not seem so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. After 20 min of editing / several pictures edited, LR starts to lag more and more until it is unusable. I have to quit and stat it all over again.

First I thought CPU was throttling because of high temperature (5930K @ 4,4Gh) but Real Temp shows 37C when fans are at full speed.

I tried to run CPU at nominal speed – same problem.

Second I thought Samsung SSD 950 was throttling but installing dedicated fan didn’t solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing terribly slow performance in LR. Tried many optimization suggestions but for me LR is either slow or broken slow on a new and high end desktop.

Specs:

Broadwell-E 6 core CPU

128 gigs ram

1080 GTX

Samsung 960 Pro

Large Raid 0 Array of MX300 SSDs

4k Monitor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can tell you this much, we have 280 licenses of Lightroom in our office and we are strongly considering finally switching to another product. This has been unacceptable for far too long. Lightroom is unusable on the majority of our machines and they are all maxed out Late 2015 MacBook Pros. There is clearly something going on with Libraries after awhile. I don't care if it's because of virtual copies, sharpening, etc. Just scrolling through photos has become something painful and a production environment cannot operate like this. To think Adobe needs assistance from it's users to figure out what the issues people are having is absurd. They know whats going on and they can't find a fix for it. This isn't something new and the majority of people deal with it.

Adobe has been unable to get a handle on the issue and it's time to move on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mspguy​

In what city are you located?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chad, I sent you a direct email about connecting in person to help debug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I have offered to help document this issue and am available to talk with Adobe.  Have received no contact from Adobe (of course, I don't have 280 licenses).

Many many people reporting same easily reproducible error but Adobe can't get a handle on it.

I called tech support and their troubleshooting consisted of doing things I have already tried, laughable misinformation (the GPU is only needed if you are viewing 3D files of high quality!)  and ZERO interest in getting the issue solved.

Lance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lance,

We appreciate your offer of help. At this point what we really need is to get our hands on a machine that is misbehaving. We have system reports and even videos of slow performance but we need to get either reproducible steps to create the slowness or get an errant system in our engineers' hands. We continue to work on this. This is a good thread to follow on our support forum:

Lightroom CC 2015.10 - Poor Performance | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk,

after all this time, this is a ridiculous answer. I find it almost insulting to us as customers.

There are tons and tons of user with a major issue. It has been going on for months. And adobe can't find a machine that works badly???

Just go and buy a Dell XPS 15 9560, highest configuration. Like a did. It won't work with LR. A $2800 brick.

Own the issue. Solve it. Fix it.
Before someone else come out with a good software solution we can all migrate to.

If it wasn't for a 4k display scaling issue on the new capture software, I would have abandoned Adobe 4 months ago....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that if anyone installs LR CC 2015.10 on a fresh Dell XPS 15, without any other programs installed or anything changed, LR doesn't work properly? Have you done that?

Bob frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good grief...he's saying that even on a top spec, new machine the latest LR runs very slowly. It's bad enough having adobe staff being slow on it, without others on the forum being so pedantic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not being pedantic! LR runs fine on my desktop, XPS 13, and a Shuttle. Lots of problems are due to computers not being set up correctly, incompatible software/drivers/graphics cards, etc, etc, etc. And lots of settings in LR slow things down, as well as corrupt previews and previews.db, and camera raw cache. I'd love to get my hands on his XPS 15 to sort it out!!

bob frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought a brand new dell xps 15 (9560) top specs.

Comes ready to go by Dell.

Did not work with LR.

Ps i have been using LR professionally since V1.... all the preview stuff dont even apply as i create new catalogs all the times.for projects.

I then did two clean installs. Then read blogs, reinstalled drivers of different kinds,  and currently running the patch to reduce the number of cores.

Still LR is unusable professionally.

What i am saying, is that it is not that difficult for Adobe to get a machine that misbehave....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk doesn't deserve to get all our frustration. I didn't find his reply offensive.

After trying every suggestion here, on phone support, etc. it is offensive for someone to come on and suggest user error, Bob.

It is odd for engineers to not be able to get a handle on an easily reproducible problem (unlike an intermittent one or a user error).

My machine likewise is brand new and likewise I have used LR for years.

Intel; 6950X 10Core

256 GB Ram

Samsung m.2 main drive

Samsung 850 Pro 2TB (several of these)

2 Nvidia Titan X and 2 Nvdiai 1080's

You would have difficulty building a more powerful or faster machine.

There is something up because many folks are reporting the same symptoms:  a slowdown over time--works well when first started and then get slower and slower with use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alberto-- what type of storage on your system?  Is it SSD or traditional drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been doing some more performance testing. One area that impacts my use of LR is creation of previews after an import. I have the standard preview size set to auto with medium jpg resolution. My system is a Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 with i7 processor, 16GB ram and 1TB SSD. As an experiment I put 200 raw images in a folder (24 megapixels each) and did an Add Operation to import them into the catalog. The process took 30m:31s to complete the import and build all previews. I tried again with the patch posted earlier that impacts thread allocation. The second import took 28m:07s, which would imply that the patch might help but probably not. I had a friend with a Mac setup similar in performance to my system (i7, 16GB ram, SSD), and in his case the import took just 4m:33s. We are both running LR 2015.10.

I'm not really sure what I can draw from this comparison. It could be that Windows isn't as good for LR as a Mac. Or perhaps my Dell XPS isn't as good as I had hoped. Is there anyone out there who could run a similar test in a Windows environment and post your results?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread has gone quiet. Is there any news on this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So all adobe developers must be using Macs or something. I have had nothing but trouble with CC. I have gotten ti to work a few times and then it slows down again and again.

I have an unusually fast and robust machine. Someone from Adobe needs to do something. There are several dozen posts here all saying the same things. Adobe we are actively looking for alternatives. Your product was working great before you forced us all the pay you monthly. I'm totally disgusted with CC and wish I could just go back to buying a copy of lightroom that actually works.

Making life miserable for thousands of people and I see no reps from adobe actually doing anything about this. It is not out computers. You have a problem with your software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex here, from Romania. Imagine this guys - I've actually changed my computer for this, and STILL, Lightroom works awfully. I'm not going to bother you with specs and stuff like that. Everything is top notch, up to date, optimised etc. So, I'm just waiting for ON1 2018 to be ready, and make the switch. Shame on you Adobe!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update on this from the Lightroom Classic CC update. I don't know how people are saying there are performance enhancements. Sure, there might be a small change on Export as some say. But certainly not overall IMIO. In fact, It's almost unusable at this point after the Classic CC update. On my TouchBar MacBook pro its no question slower than the previous versions....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines