• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC Classic not Responding

Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated to the latest version 7.2 (1156743) and still have the same problem as before. When in the Library module everything I try I get the spinning blue circle and Lightroom showing not responding. This continues for a long time and then comes back to life until I do something else. Such as click on another image, trying using the slidder bars on the images or file system. I am running Windows 10 Pro, with a 256SSD and 1TB hard drive. Lightroom library is on the SSD and the images are on the hard drive. I have 16GB memory on a laptop. All other apps are working fine including Photoshop and Bridge, it is only Lightroom that is virtually unuseable.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On request my solution to the problem:

A week ago I bought and installed the CC package after using LR4.4 and PS 6 for some years.

Indeed LR Classic did not respond, same issue. My actions:

1st step:

Create new catalogs and import all the photos again.

LR responded fast and did NOT crash anymore.

However after working with it in develop mode it became extremely slow and unresponsive again.

2nd step:

Turn off GPU

Edit -> Preferences -> Performance tab -> uncheck "Use Graphics Processor"

In my case I wasnt able to turn it of because as soon as I clicked the checkbox LR did not respond and I had to restart.

In that case:

Create a new Catalog, do NOT import any photos and again

Edit -> Preferences -> Performance tab -> uncheck "Use Graphics Processor"

If that doesnt work, close LR, go to explorer and find the file:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences\Lightroom CC Preferences.agprefs

(Where AppData is a hidden/system folder so you may need to enter the folder name directly into your Explorer address bar

or enable hidden/system folders in Explorer folder view options.)

- Edit the file

- Scroll down to the bottom of the file where it says: Use autobahn=True

- Change True into False so its says: Use autobahn=False

- Save and close the file

Next step:

Automatically save to XMP: off

Edit -> Catalog settings - uncheck "Automatically write changes into XMP"

Next step:

Change your performance settings:

Edit -> Preferences -> Performance -> Cache settings to 20 or whatever suits you

In my case I also saw a "Shadow not responding" window.

I solved that by disabling the Splash screen at startup:

Edit -> Preferences -> General - > Uncheck "Show splash screen during startup"

That should do the trick.

You can also check your files. I had one virtual copy with a lot of spot removal points that was extremely slow.

I copied the settings to the original file, deleted the virtual copy, created a new one and copied the settings again.

LR doesnt seem to handle a lot of spot removals very well ( a lot of flies around an animal I had to remove :-))

I hope this helps you guys out. If not, just ask.

My vacation is over, so I don't have all the time in the world anymore to look into this but I will do my best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RVDWP,

Thank you for your post. I too hope others with similar issue will find your resolution helpful.

Best regards

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2019 Aug 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Very old thread, but just in case...

Just upgraded my PC to a very well speced unit with heaps of SSD and graphics power, and have encountered this isuue the spinninng wheel for 2 or so minutes on start-up - then everything wakes up and works fine.  I'd already tried fiddling with acelleration and splash screen etc - all to no avail.

Crazy thing I have found though is that if I exit and therefore restart in develop mode instead of library mode, it starts perfectly and I can immediately switch to library mode with no spinning wheel.  Crazy, but this only-slightly-inconvenient workaround seems to be the answer - at least for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sulco

If you have a Google Account, you can upload the zip file to Google Drive, copy the Shareable Link and paste it here or if you prefer, send link to Rikk Flohr (contact info will be sent to your mailbox).
Here are some quick instructions on how to do that. 

- Click Get shareable link.
- Next to "Anyone with the link," click the Down arrow.
- Click More and then On - Public on the web.
- Click Save.
- Choose the level of access you want people to have. 

Alternatively, if you do not have access to a Google account, you can use Creative Cloud to send us a link.
Share Adobe Creative Cloud files, libraries, prot...

Regards

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the equipment requirements you have listed are a minimum, then this should be clearly stated before anyone purchases the product. It is no good to anyone if you only tell them later. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jonathan, I am sorry you were not aware of the system requirements. That information is very important especially if your system resource is low. I am usually in the habit of not checking, but I know for all products, not just Adobe, it is always there. I remember coming across it while downloading Photoshop. In any case here is a link to system requirement of a number of Adobe products. Search results . Please remember that the requirement listed for any product is the minimum and will need more for efficient performance. The more resource your computer has, the more efficient your applications, and even your operating system will be. The more application you have running in startup, the less available memory resource there'll be. The more stored (not just what you physically save, but also cache, temp files, downloads, invisible files sometimes created by virus, etc.) on your system the less available storage, and virtual memory there will be. Despite the size of your computer and the amount of resource you bought it with, the available resource at any given time is what is important. I always assume an update, or upgrade affects system requirement, and I usually assume  it's more required (even though it is not always the case).

I hope this helps

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You suggested running Task Manager to see system resources. I'm running window10 Pro on a Dell XPS8900. I've replaced the internal 7200rpm 2TB drive with a 2TB SSD. I've noticed no difference in LR Classic performance when processing photos in the Library module and in encountering the no response problem. I usually have Task manager running so I can monitor memory and other system resources. Task manager is what I also use to shut down LR Classic when it gets into the not responding mode. And, it is not easy to do so as LR is continually changing and repainting the video making it difficult to keep Task Manager visible long enough to select LR and click on end task. The system is not out of memory when this problem occurs. LR keeps flopping in and out of not responding depending on which of its strings is running. The only other application running is a web browser and I've even encountered this no response problem with the web browser not running. My file back-up program is set to run only in the middle of the night when I'm not at the computer. The OS updates automatically and the hard drive is optimized automatically. The catalog is optimized regularly and all the other suggested performance items have been addressed. I've rebuilt my preference file from scratch. I can leave LR Classic running overnight and the next day when I start to use it, within a few keystrokes I'm get the not responding. Somewhere, some code is not doing proper housecleaning after task completion causing other code not to be able to run. Yesterday I completed keywording photos from a recent trip, clicked on "edit", clicked on "select all" and then entered a ctrl S  command (Save keywords for selected photos command). LR immediately went into the no response mode before even the keywords for the first photo in the file had been saved.

I live less than an hours drive from Adobe Headquarters and would be willing to call someone at Adobe when this problem occurs and they can come and use my equipment to diagnose the problem. If their engineering or systems test folks can't reproduce the problem I'm more than willing to let them use my equipment to debug the problem. As background information, I spent 35+ years in software systems engineering developing middleware communication products. Middleware is the layer on top of the OS and below the application layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening. Thank you for your feedback. I've referred this thread to Lightroom product managers.

Best wishes,

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed your name in the forums - apparently you all have a major

issue with LR

[private information removed by moderator]

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 8:28 PM jacquelingphoto2017 <

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've come across a number of customers who are. Are you running Lr?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines