• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC v9.4 and Macbook 16" Radeon 5500m 8 GB - No GPU for image processing

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I have purchased the current MacBook Pro 16", with the Radeon 5500m 8GB.

Unfortunately the field to activate the graphics card for image processing is greyed out. In my case the graphics card is only used for display. The Radeon 5500m is activated as soon as I use Lightroom, but unfortunately not for image processing.

Is this a normal behaviour, does Adobe have no drivers integrated or is this a strange behaviour of my computer - software combination?

Thanks

Simon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Thanks for all the help, I have now found a solution which did not work the first time:

1. restarting the computer
2. uninstall Lightroom via Creatic Cloud App
3. restarted
4. deleted all Lightroom files from the Library and Application Support
5. restarted
6. lightroom installed
7. lightroom started with Shift+Alt key

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Past that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your asnwe. I don´t have any graphic issues or broken pictures. I just want to get the max performance and don´t understand why on a top line laptop, Lightroom is not using the grafic card for full performance. MacOS and Lightroom are updatet

Lightroom Classic-Version: 9.4 [ 202008061458-dbb2971e ]
Lizenz: Creative Cloud
Spracheinstellung: de-DE
Betriebssystem: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.15.7 [19H2]
Anwendungsarchitektur: x64
Anzahl logischer Prozessoren: 16
Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 2,3 GHz
SQLite-Version: 3.30.1
Integrierter Speicher: 32.768,0 MB
Für Lightroom verfügbarer phys. Speicher: 32.768,0 MB
Von Lightroom verwendeter phys. Speicher: 3.775,5 MB (11,5%)
Von Lightroom verwendeter virtueller Speicher: 13.280,6 MB
Cache-Speichergröße: 13,5MB
Interne Camera Raw-Version: 12.4 [ 555 ]
Maximale Anzahl Threads, die Camera Raw verwendet: 5
Camera Raw SIMD-Optimierung: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Virtueller Speicher in Camera Raw: 2799MB / 16383MB (17%)
Physischer Speicher in Camera Raw: 2844MB / 32768MB (8%)
Monitore/Anzeigegeräte: 1) 3584x2240

Informationen zum Grafikprozessor:
Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M

Anwendungsordner: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Bibliothekspfad: /Volumes/Arbeitsplatte/XXXXXXXXXXXX.lrcat
Einstellungen-Ordner: /Users/simon/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installierte Zusatzmodule:
1) AdobeStock
2) Aperture/iPhoto-Import-Zusatzmodul
3) Facebook
4) Flickr
5) JPEGmini
6) Nikon Tether-Zusatzmodul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recommend you post your problem over at the official feedback site, where Adobe techs respond.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-classic/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40872?cType=PROBLEM&page=...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx, but i wonder if there is someone else with this problem. Because i could not solve it and i don´t understand the issue with a brand new laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the help, I have now found a solution which did not work the first time:

1. restarting the computer
2. uninstall Lightroom via Creatic Cloud App
3. restarted
4. deleted all Lightroom files from the Library and Application Support
5. restarted
6. lightroom installed
7. lightroom started with Shift+Alt key

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you finding this was a permanent solution? Several months ago I followed the process you outlined and got it working. But now it is back to only using the GPU for basic processing.

This time I tried everything short of deleting the preferences because it is a major hassle to have to recreate those. That didn't fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If resetting preferences fixes the issue, then that is the route you should go. Sure it's a PITA, but better that than denying yourself full GPU support. You could also submit a report on the Lightroom Classic feedback forum where it's more likley to catch the attention of Adobe QA https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-classic/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40872

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm not sure it will work. PITA indeed.

I just discovered that Photoshop enables Advanced acceleration yet Lightroom does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That means the the GPU test that runs when LrC is launched is probably failing for some reason. I can't recall the exact details of what can causes the failure, but you can find the file(s) to delete at:

Users > ~ > Library > Application Support > Adobe > CameraRaw > GPU > Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic > 'Camera Raw GPU Config Text' and 'TempDisableGPU'. There may be a number at end of the TempDisableGPU file, but it can be ignored as it's the any file with that name that needs to be removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting that file fixed it! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add the name of the file you deleted here and on the new thread you started on the Feedback forum as it will help others fix the problem, even if only temporarily, in future.

BTW, thanks for getting back to the forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I deleted this file:

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/GPU/Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic/TempDisableGPU2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, for me it works fine since then. Hope you will find a solution for your system!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines