• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic 12.3 slow?

Engaged ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else suffering from slow performance since the release of 12.3?

I edit several hundred photos in Lightroom every day.  My newer (i.e. six month) high-end computer is lagging with this version of Lightroom.  It was zippy with previous versions.  Everything else runs quickly on the computer, so I suspect that something with the latest version of Lightroom is the culprit.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2023 Aug 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feels like the 12.4 update didn't fix this issue. What do you think?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's disappointing to hear.

I haven't had time to try 12.4.  I'm in the middle of my busy season, regularly putting in 12+ hour days.  So I'm not exactly feeling compelled to be frustrated by lost productivity again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update. I did uninstall and installed 12.4 again and now it seems to be fine. There is still a little lag maybe because I use a midi controller.

Another thing I've noticed is that after editing about 50 raw photos the performance starts worsening. I just close and open the software and it gets better (maybe purge cache?). 

Just for reference I have a i9 13900, 64GB DDR5, RTX 2060 6GB and a M.2 drive.

Also, I had to go back a version on Photoshop beta because photos from Lightroom weren't opening in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else who was having slow-down issues with LrC 12.3 upgraded to 12.5 yet?  Wondering if with the newest version the issue is a non-issue?

My busy season was in full swing and I didn't have time to troubleshoot the issues, so I stuck to 12.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did what Rikk Flohr suggested (look at the previous comment) and it
worked.

Anyway, it does seem that LR doesn't manage the use of GPU memory well.
After editing about 50 images it starts to slow down and I just restart the
software and it gets better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good to hear.  I'll try upgrading to 12.5 once I have more time.

As for slow downs after editing ~50 images, I haven't seen that.  I regularly edit 500-700 images per day and don't see slow downs after a certain number of images like you're describing -- only the overall slow down that I've described in this thread.  I suspect something else is happening with your system to cause that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to LrC 13.0.1 and Lightroom is painfully slow again.  Just moving from one photo to the next in Develop mode takes seconds.  Sometimes the full photo does not appear at all, so I have to click on a different thumbnail in the film strip, and click back on the photo that I want to edit and hope that it works.

Since version 13 upgraded the database, I can't go back to the (quick) 12.2.x without losing the edits that I've done this version.

I'll have to try the trouble shooting steps that were posted here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you happen to have a backup of the version 12 catalogue with your edits?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imagine that I do on my NAS.  But at this point I think I'll bite the bullet and spend the time to try the troubleshooting steps that were detailed here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Thumbs/ image preview not changing when you move to a new photo. Super annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hejmickey  It's tiny bit of consolation that I'm not the only one seeing that problem.  Are you on LrC 13.0.1?

I just edited about 60 photos, clicking the right arrow to move to the next photo after completing each edit. Every 4-5 times the main photo did not update.  I had to move to the previous or next photo and move back for the photo to update.  I think it's time to create a new post for that issue (if there isn't already one).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like it's a known issue:  https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-unable-to-advance-to-the-next-photo/idc-p/14....

I'm trying to be patient, but this is a big impediment to being productive with Lightroom.  How does a bug like this make it into a release??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines