• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic 13.0 on Mac Os Big Sur

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can´t update to Lightroom Classic 13.0 because is not compatible with MacOS Big sur,  and my Macbook can't run MacOs Monterey.

What's the point to pay a suscription if I can't use the software included in it?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the point to pay a suscription if I can't use the software included in it?

The decision as to continue or not with Adobe is up to you. You can still use LrC v12.5, but as noticed, you will not be able to upgrade past that point, and such will not have new capability available.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try this and update to Monterey if your Mac is supported.  It worked for a friend of mine althought he is not using Lightroom.  

https://osxdaily.com/2021/11/30/installing-macos-monterey-on-unsupported-macs/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strictly apeaking, you can still use the software in your plan which is compatible with your operating system. Just not the very latest version.

Unfortunately, this will keep happening every year with subscription software, particularly for Macs. Every year, a new major update of Adobe software drops support for the oldest operating system supported in the previous version.

It so happens that this year Big Sur support was dropped. This has been foreseeable for a long time so it's good practice to do some preparation to plan around that inevitability.

The link posted by @Bob Somrak may give you some short term relief.

Long term it sounds like a Mac upgrade is due. What are the exact specs of your Mac in About My Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big Sur is v11 and it's Apple who has stopped supporting it with the release of v14 (Sonoma). No more updates, so it's an inherently insecure system. As painful as it may seem, it's only logical that Adobe drops supporting it if Apple doesn't support it anymore either.

However... my now 5 year old MacBook Pro is at the end of the line with Ventura (v13) — so whatever machine is stuck on Big Sur has to be even older. If it is a very potent Mac Pro that's a pity of course, but everything else can't exactly be a joy to use with Lightroom Classic anymore?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, support is a rolling target that can’t be stopped, so it has to be part of the budget to keep hardware up to date with the latest software.

The fact is, both Adobe and Apple provide update support for only the last three versions of macOS, which are currently macOS 14, 13, and 12. They both started this policy a few years ago. So, every year at about this time, they add the new one and drop the oldest one. macOS 11 fell off when macOS 14 was released. Once a Mac gets to the point where it can only run the oldest of the three currently supported versions of macOS, the clock is ticking: In one year it will lose support. For example, if macOS 11 was the last macOS that a Mac could run last fall, then it was already known that in 1 year that Mac would no longer be supported because this year, both Apple and Adobe would ratchet their supported versions up to macOS 14, 13, and 12. Next fall we can reliably guess they will be macOS 15, 14, and 13.

When a Mac reaches that last year of support, the two choices are to not upgrade, so you can continue to operate current versions indefinitely; or work a new Mac into the budget for purchase within 12 to 24 months, or whenever you’ll start to require the latest software. If you must use the latest versions, the practical service life of a Mac is about 7 to 8 years from its original release date (not the date you bought it).

Based on this well-established pattern, I already know that my older Mac (2018) is only one or two away from Apple no longer providing macOS updates for it. If I hadn’t already bought a newer Mac, now would be the time to budget for one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2023 Oct 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

It is not new that some operating systems are no more supported and at a given point, it is client choice to continue to use it and then to not take profit of new Lightroom releases BUT

- when it was perpetual License, you stopped to pay for new relaese and that's it

- now with subscription, you are obliged to pay to continue to use your current version of Lightroom as if you stop to pay, Development module is desactivated as indicated in the Adobe support pages. So you continue to pay yearly for NOTHING.

Of course there is also Photoshop in the subsrciption but the same will occur soon, no reason and tahen at the end if you want to continue to develop your photos with Lightroom, you have to pay for NO SERVICE, each year you have to pay for the cost of a perpetual License but you have nothing in return.

There is nothing strange in these commercial practices ? At least, either modules should not be deactivated if subscription price is not change or subscription price should be decreased. 

In addition is there somebody how to contact directly ADOBE to mention them this subject beacause I do not find any link or phone number anymore ? May be I missed it,

Thans in advance for yur advives and help,

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"- now with subscription, you are obliged to pay to continue to use your current version of Lightroom"

What's your point? You've just described the very definition of subscription services - completely irrelevant to the OP's complaint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question is why Adobe disable development module if we stop to pay because we cannot be eligible to upgrades anymore ? If we are blocked to a given version because of system limitations, why are we not able to use lightroom anymore for developping, clearly this policy is not understood....I paid year after year and suddenly, they tell me your computer is too old then no more improvement (normal) AND you cannot use our software anymore for free or reduced price despite the fact we are not providing improvement or services on it. That is my point.

It looks that I am the only one choked by that.

My other point is : how can I contact them, i didn't find any link on the web site. Somebody knows ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question is why Adobe disable development module if we stop to pay because we cannot be eligible to upgrades anymore ?

By @FREDERIC32918537tiv5

An answer might be that if the Develop module continued to operate, then it would be possible to pay for only one month and cancel, but keep using it after only having paid a very low price. That isn’t sustainable, so they chose to disable the Develop module.

Now, believe it or not, that is actually a better deal. Because with most subscription services, the entire application stops working if you stop paying. But here, most of Lightroom Classic actually continues to work; only the Develop module is disabled. So, someone would be able to continue organizing, exporting, and printing work already completed, and that is more than you will get from other subscription services where you can’t do anything after stopping payment.

I am not saying this is a perfect situation. There are some subscription apps on my phone where there is a Lifetime option where you pay once, and I have paid that for some of them. Or, maybe Adobe could allow the entire application to operate after you have paid a certain amount in subscription fees, like $500. There may be other ways to make this easier, and you can submit any ideas you have to the Ideas section of this community, where requests are discussed and voted on. But adding options complicates things, which is why many companies want to keep it simple. Supporting fewer versions is much easier for a company to manage, and so is supporting fewer purchase options. That doesn’t make it the best for us, but simplifying to keep costs down is a common reason companies don’t offer every possible option.

Version support is something we should all be paying more attention to, because as technology moves quickly, support for older systems is dropped, again not just by Adobe but by Apple too. If we’re paying but getting no benefit, one option is to stop paying. Another option is to upgrade the hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

- now with subscription, you are obliged to pay to continue to use your current version of Lightroom as if you stop to pay, Development module is desactivated as indicated in the Adobe support pages. So you continue to pay yearly for NOTHING.

Not exactly, the agreement you made when you signed up for the subscription is for the continuing use of the product (Lightroom Classic). Even though you may not be able to use the very latest version, you are still obligated to pay to continue to use whatever version you have.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problems are your problems - they aren't Adobe's fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines