• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic and Heic

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe it but I keep on running in trouble when moving iphone(Heic) photos into Lightroom Classic. It looks to me that Adobe doesn't like Apple or something and just makes it difficult to make that happen. What is wrong with exporting from Apple Foto's on iMac/macOS and then importing into Lightroom Classic on iMac/macOS. At that point things still work, only when you have edited all your photo's then Adobe tells you that the format is not compatible and you can't export them from Lightroom. I tried several other ways to get it done but I always run in trouble!  Heeeeeeelp!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Q. “It looks to me that Adobe doesn't like Apple or something and just makes it difficult to make that happen.”

For sure they (Apple) except you to use their Photo app.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

I've never had issues with HEIC photos from iphones in Classic. Not sure why it doesn't work for you. All I do is open Lightroom in the iPhone, import a few images from the photoroll and they quickly show up automatically in Classic (you have to have syncing enabled in Classic). From there it just works and you can export to anything you want. No need to ever involve photos on your Mac.

P.S. Amazing thing with using Lightroom on your iPhone is that its camera app can shoot in raw/dng and sync

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Q. “It looks to me that Adobe doesn't like Apple or something and just makes it difficult to make that happen.”

For sure they (Apple) except you to use their Photo app.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Dennis,  indeed I suppose your are correct. I can understand that logic but Adobe should have some respect for the wishes of their (paying) customer. If my choice is to combine Apple Foto's and Lightroom, Adobe should respect that and do their best to accomodate it.  Blokking a con-colleague in the market (Apple) route is rude and a bridge too far for me!

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never had issues with HEIC photos from iphones in Classic. Not sure why it doesn't work for you. All I do is open Lightroom in the iPhone, import a few images from the photoroll and they quickly show up automatically in Classic (you have to have syncing enabled in Classic). From there it just works and you can export to anything you want. No need to ever involve photos on your Mac.

P.S. Amazing thing with using Lightroom on your iPhone is that its camera app can shoot in raw/dng and sync those to Lightroom Classic. Works really well and gives more editing lattitude than the typical heic file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Jao,   Thanks for your reply. I tried that route earlier but ran in trouble with it and decide to leave it. But OK, based on your recommendation, I will give it another try. Best regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do Help > System Info.  Are you running a version earlier than 10.2?  If so, do Help > Updates.

There were a number of reports about intermittent errors with HEIC files in LR 9, e.g. "File appears to be unsupported or damaged".   Doing Preferences > Performance > Camera Raw Cache Settings > Purge Cache followed by restarting LR fixed the issue for many (and reduced its occurrence for others).   

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-and-photoshop-stop-reading-... 

I haven't seen any reports of this problem with LR 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2023 Nov 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My HEIC files transfer OK into Lightroom Classic, but cannot be exported, (iMac with latest OS, Lightroom with latest version) so there is a clash of format as you can see.

Adobe chat line could not help me to solve the problem after a couple of attempts.

In the end, I found I could simply drag the photo across from Lightroom to my desktop, so I guess I don't need "Export"

Screenshot 2023-11-17 at 17.20.45.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2023 Nov 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I solved it now - it relates to Apple and/or Adobe updates blocking access to files.  I had to go into System Preferences and make all hard drives and files accessible to Lightroom, then quit and restart.  These systems seem to take more and more time to problem solve rather than just working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines