Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic automatically restores all changes done on "develop" module

Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, 

I just encountered an issue that is blocking my workflow on Lightroom Classic.

After updating it on 13.4 I open Lightroom Classic and every time i click on a photo the program resets all edits I did on develop module. Fortunately the "history" is unchanged and I can go back to the last settings. Anyway it is completely impossible to work properly, because if i need to export a lot of images I need to manually restore the history for every single photo.

OS version: Windows 10 on AMD Ryzen

LR: 13.4
Camera RAW: 16.4

(of course i just restarted both Lightroom and PC but the issue is not solved)

Hope I was able to properly explain my issue, I didn't find a direct adobe contact to report an issue other than security issues, please tell me if there is a way to do it. Thanks to everyone. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very Odd.

Two things come to mind.  

1)  Once we enter the realm of "Well, that's really weird", the 'go to' suggestion is to reset your preferences file.

Also see: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

To do so, hold down Alt and Shift (Windows) / Opt and Shift (Mac) while opening Lightroom and it’ll ask whether to reset the preferences. The timing is crucial—hold them down while clicking/double-clicking on the app/shortcut.

Califdan2_0-1721058194192.png

Note - this will put all your preferences back to the Adobe Defualt settings so you'll have to reset them to your desired values afterward,  The preferences file includes last used settings, view options, FTP settings for uploading web galleries, some plug-in settings, etc.  In case it doesn't fix your problem, you may want to make a copy of your preferences file first, so you can put it back and not have to re enter your desired changes.

Alternatively, you can reset the preferences manually. Moving or renaming the preferences file, rather than deleting it, means that you can put it back if it doesn’t solve the problem, to save you manually recreating your preferences again.  See link provided above

2)  You may have a stuck key on your keyboard.  Make sure that all the key are not stuck in their pressed postion or try a different keyboard if you have one.   You can also go into a text editor and verify that all the keys are working properly although verifying the Alt, Cmd, and Ctrl keys may be tricky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

thank you,
1) I deleted preferences manually (taking previously a backup) but nothing changed, then I restored them.

2) I run the windows utility on keyboard but I didn't see anything. I also tried a simple but usefull online utility to test my keyboard to check if there are any issue (https://en.key-test.ru). Anyway I don't have any evidence for stucked keys when using other applications. 
Thanks anyway, if you have any other ideas I'll try. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, in the History panel, you see a step (apparently at the top) where LrC has Reset the image?

Could actually state Reset Settings like the following:

4.png

could be something else like the following:

5.png

Do you have a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

the first screenshot shows what I actually see when I click on a photo (the history you see is the most recent):

Federico928_0-1721081465467.png

This second screenshot shows what I expect to see (and I actually see it when I click on the most recent step in history):

Federico928_1-1721081564357.png

The really weird thing is that I see the image correctly edited in the thumbnails below when I open ligthtroom, but once I click on it I see the raw version (without any edit). It is frustrating expecially because if I select a bunch of images and I export I actually export the raw version. I had to export several images and this thing is slowing me down. 

Thanks anyway for you help, if you have any other idea please tell me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In those two History panels, the one with the issue does not show a step as selected, In the case of the image that is working, the top (last) step is shown as selected.

In the first image, the one with the issue. In the history panel, no History step is shown as selected:

9.png

In the second one, where I assume you clicked on the history step, the last one (top one) it is shown as selected:

10.png

In the first image, before you click on that history step, if you scroll down (do not click on a step, just scroll down) does an earlier (perhaps first) step show up as selected?

Oh, and I see in the problem screenshot that all history steps are shown, the first one being to create the virtual copy.

So LrC is not selecting the previous last history step.

And you attempted a preference file reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

/Followup/Edit/ Skip this reply (at least for now) and see the one following it, perhaps the helper.lrdata file is at issue.

• If you import a new photo, does this odd behavior continue for the new photo?
  • And, if you look at a already imported photo, already edited. BUT NOT A VIRTUAL COPY, does this odd behavior apply as well?

And a favorite ever since Adobe added AI:

• If in preferences, you turn OFF the use of the GPU, does this odd behavior continue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something in the back of my head thinks their may be an issue with one of the files LrC creates and maintains while you run it, while you work on a catalog.

Use Windows File Explorer to look at the folder your catalog is in, here is an example:

12.png

I cannot prove it just yet, something about that helper file , rights and privileges (may relate to a different problem)

Community page discussions like the following may be asking about that:

Ohhh, this one:

You might simply try deleting the helper file (with LrC closed), Then when LrC restarts, it should be recreated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2024 Jul 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you so much for all your advices. I tried to:

- Delete the helper file

- Delete all the previous catalog files that were in the same directory of the 13-4 ircat (as in https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-classic-not-returning-to-last... )
- Connect my ssd (which contains also catalog files) to a windows 11 pc with lightroom 13.4 but it has the exact same issue, so it must be something corrupted in catalog!
Anyway the issue is exactly the same if i select photos that have not a virtual copy. 

I also noticed that if I open lightroom again and select a photo that experimented that issues days ago, Lightroom doesn't rolls-back again on that photo.

Please tell me if you have some other idea, anyway really thank you for your help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2024 Jul 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have nothing, other than contact Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 20, 2024 Jul 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't the late RobCole have a plugin that enabled one to step back through history for a batch of files?

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2024 Sep 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still going crazy about it, now Lightroom does't check anymore the images I edited, so if I previously edited a photo I can't notice it unless I click on the photo, go to the develop module and open the history, it is very frustrating.

When I look out to contact Adobe support about technical issues the website send me here in forum. Is there some service we can contact? 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Federico_N , there have been a couple of updates to LrC since July.

Have you downloaded the latest LrC version 13.5.1?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; (also Laptop Win 11, ver 23H2, LrC 14.0, ; ) Camera Oly OM-D E-M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, of course I downloaded last version and still facing the same issues. To be precise if now I add a new photo in lightroom and edit it everything is ok. Anyway it's like there was a moment where the History of all edited images was reset to the starting point for some reason. 

To be clear for people are reading this post now: the history is still there, but I see the photo as it was at its starting point; I have to manually click on the last step in history and I correctly see the edited photo. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In cases where the photo is showing its initial state, but the subsequent history is listed: does the initial editing state in the history panel show as highlighted?

Or, if a photo is in the same condition (showing its intial state, showing subsequent , not displaying the effect of that subsequent history) and you make a new edit - does this new edit action clear and replace all of that later  history, or does it keep the history and then work cumularively onto that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,

no, it is not highlightted.
About the second question: I just tried and it keeps the history and makes the change on top of that, so it works cumulatively. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's helpful info. It appears this is purely a display glitch and having nothing to do with the history itself, except that re-selecting the latest history step incidentally wakes up LrC that it needs to render the file again properly.

Re-opening the Catalog with an integrity check would do no harm.

I don't know enough (or to be more candid, anything) to advise on MacOS graphic drivers and GPU support, but that could be worth a check for any incompatibility.

I suppose one might try invoking a rendering update in bulk by applying some dummy new edit, for example highlighting a bunch of images then turning some unusual adjustment first on, and then off again with AutoSync selected.

Other ways to "wake up" the Catalog about these wrongly rendered images may be to go into Survey mode then back to Loupe - but I am straying further and further into realms of speculation here. 

Among the possible even more arcane fixes might be clearing the ACR cache (which is used for intermediate postprocessing storage).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really sorry but I just did deeper checks and I have to contraddict what I just said before, the issue is still more complex:

This is a photo I edited years ago, if I move in the directory is seems ligtroom restored to the original state:

Federico_N_0-1725917647678.png

as you can see the history is there but no steps are selected, when I move a cursor (i.e. exposure +0.7) a new step on top of history appears, but none of the previous steps are applied as you can see below:

Federico_N_1-1725917859630.png

Now if i select the last "real" step in editing history the edited photo is restored:

Federico_N_2-1725917928636.png

It seems crazy to me, as you can see in previous messages I tried several times to delete and recreate some temp files. I'm also doing the same trial on a 2 different pc's one using windows 10 and the other one 11. The most frustrating thing is that it seems adobe doesn't have any official support to contact and I'm paying them for more than ten years, I have all my edited photos in that catalog. None of you has some kind of experience in contacting them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the same Catalog is giving similar trouble in different PCs and even between MacOS and Windows, my thought was, it could be the integrity of that Catalog which is at issue. 

But it does seem that you have got the history of edits on your photos, and you have got the photos, so that is a very positive situation IMO.

You could try: make a fresh empty Catalog under a new name. In that Catalog choose "Import from another Catalog", browse to your present Catalog, and merge in new instances of all those same photos (living in the same folders, those files are not touched). These will arrive with all their edit history, collections, virtual copies, metadata just the same but with everything correctly indexed etc because the whole database structure is a fresh one. IIRC smart collections, Publish setups, any Catalog settings or colour label sets you have customised will not transfer, but that stuff is relatively secondary and quite easy to re-create if necessary. Now verify whether these same edited photos behave correctly inside this newly other Catalog.  If so, perhaps you can go forward with this - but do not need to delete the prior Catalog straight away. Image previews will need to be generated again, but this can happen progressively on demand, as you come to view those.

If this is something that started suddenly you could instead revert to a Catalog backup from ust prior, but in my opinion there is something to be said for a fresh Catalog structure IF the present  setup is behaving oddly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to avoid losing all my classification. Anyway I tried what you just suggested to see if it works, but it fails with an unknown error:

Federico_N_0-1725921668311.png

I don't know if the application produces some logs about it, I'm reading about this tool called Adobe Log Collector, maybe I'll try it, but without adobe support it will be hard to analyze. I have a weekly backup of my catalog, but it seems the problem pretty old despite I noticed only a couple months ago. 

Another frustrating thing is the following:

whenever I go into a directory in lightroom and look at the thumbnails, for a fwe seconds I see the correct photo like this:

Federico_N_1-1725922667704.png

than after a couple seconds it turns like this:

Federico_N_2-1725922709457.png

it is impossible to detect if a photo has some editing history even using filters, the only way is to go into develop module and oper photo history. I'm really going crazy.

It would be better if I had e a deep catalog corruption, I would have restored a backup and in the worst case scenario I could've lost 1 week of editing. Now what should I do if I'd like to restore a backup? Loose 2 years of work? (of course are rhetorical questions, I'm really upset about it). I work as Oracle system engineer, I would love to have a contact with adobe support spending time resolving this issue and do all the test they need with my expertise, but it seems really unprofessional that they don't have any contact form or something like that.

P.s. I also did the following test: rename the preview files and let lightroom rebuild them, but the issue is exactly the same. 

Federico_N_3-1725923416952.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to have a contact with adobe support spending time resolving this issue and do all the test they need with my expertise, but it seems really unprofessional that they don't have any contact form or something like that.

By @Federico_N

To contact Adobe, on any Adobe website, for example Adobe Contact page :

find the "Contact Us" button. In the above site, the button floats in the bottom right.

This will start a Chat with Adobe. In the chat, type in your issue. Include a link to your Discussion. You may want to prepare notes for this before starting the chat as to be able to paste them into the chat. After describing and documenting the issue in the chat, be assertive in requesting an actual Adobe Tech to enter in the communication, and likely request a phone call.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2024 Sep 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, I found it but I assumed was only a chatbot, I will firmly ask  to have a talk with real people and explain the issue.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do feel for your frustration. If you are willing, I suggest the next step would be to try highlighting just part of your current catalog, then using Export as Catalog to save that out in catalog form under a new name. Your goal being to, working in sections as necessary, extract a properly functioning Catalog working around whatever is the unimportable information which caused the process to fail. I would check the option 'selected images only' and un-check the option 'include originals' (which would make new copies of those and reference them.)  Then see if that succeeds without error, and then if the images perform properly within that.

Previews are beside the point IMO - and should be irrelevant to what's seen in Develop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2024 Sep 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really thank you for your support! First of all I will try to contact adobe support as GoldingD suggested, then I'll give you some updates about it, expecially if I find a solution. 
I was thinking the same about previews, but I didn't know what else to try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2024 Sep 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little update about it: I did 3 agent chats and 2 video calls with adobe support sharing my screen and escalating. Let me say that (except for a chat agent that was clearly try to fool me) they were really kind and patient and dedicated to me a lot of time. Anyway:
1) The first agent asked me to do the same things we tried in this thread, then idendified the issue in a catalog corruption and made me send my catalog to them to fix it and they sent back "fixed". The issue was exactly the same. Anyway this agent told me that in his opinion I should start to use a new catalog (but I have to find an easy way to bring every photo and edit in it).
2) Then they tried to unable the graphic processor and start lightroom deleting preferences.
2) Every agent asked me if I tried with previous versions of lightroom, I explained that due to the catalog update in 13.4 I didn't try previous versions because the catalog wouldn't be compatible.

3) After internal escalation they just sent me an adobe cleaning tool to delete every file of lightroom classic and an installer of version 13.0. They told me to try with that version.
4) I performed a backup of every important file following Adobe guides, used the cleaning tool, restarted pc and installed Ligthroom classic 13.0 following all their requests.
5) Opened the catalog: the catalog is not backward compatible.

Now I think support will require a long time because they are not identifying the issue or trying to find a workaround. They only make me try standard procedures.

The frustration is really really hard. I'm starting to think about alternative solutions. Do you think there is a way to find (or write) some kind of tool that brings the "edit history" of every images to the last history step? Then I could use the function "Export as catalog" and then import to a new created catalog. Does this makes sense to you? 

Thanks to anyone who helped me and who will help me.
Federico

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines