• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom classic - before and after are the same....

New Here ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to Lightroom classic so I may be missing something... 

After I change something for a picture, for example crop it (which results in a new line in the history dropdown) - I thought that clicking the Y|Y button (or clicking Y) will show me the before (i.e., the imported picture) and after (i.e., the same picture AFTER the crop).

But - although the titles say "before" and "after" I see the same cropped picture.

And if I click the "import" line of the history I see the original picture in both "before" and "after".

Any ideas how to make this work?
In the screenshots I uploaded I made the crop (rotate) drastic - simply to show the issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Crop is AFAICT an exception here: you should see all differences of adjustment.

Perhaps (I am speculating here) the reason behind this exception is: to facilitate the two views, even when zoomed in,  showing the same picture content as each other. This helps massively for a direct comparison of tone, colour, detail etc.

If you just want to rapidly review what's happened with the crop along with the other parameters, one way is to watch the Navigator window (top left of Develop), while you ho

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crop is AFAICT an exception here: you should see all differences of adjustment.

Perhaps (I am speculating here) the reason behind this exception is: to facilitate the two views, even when zoomed in,  showing the same picture content as each other. This helps massively for a direct comparison of tone, colour, detail etc.

If you just want to rapidly review what's happened with the crop along with the other parameters, one way is to watch the Navigator window (top left of Develop), while you hover the mouse (without clicking) over the various different image states in the History panel.

Another way is to generate a virtual copy from any earlier image state or Snapshot that you want (making sure to return your editing on the main image version, back to the latest state if you have rolled this back) - and then compare these two, now independent, treatments of the photo against each other. For example, using Survey.. Or simply flipping between these two with the arrow keys.

Incidentally, while by default the Before view shows the initial image state from the History - LrC can be set to show some other more recent image state instead, as your "Before".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!
Indeed this happens only when there is crop invovled.... 

Your detailed reply really helps. Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Nerd alert]

Richard's careful use of "adjustment" has prompted me to write down observations about terminology used in the LR program, which is mostly consistent if not perspicuous:

- Develop settings, settings, and edits are synonymous -- they include Crop but exclude Rotate and Flip.

- Adjustments are develop settings that exclude Crop.

Features that work with develop settings: Reset, History, Copy/Paste/Sync Settings, Snapshots, Metadata browser column Edited, Smart collections criterion Has Edits.

Features restricted to adjustments: Before/After, Smart collection criterion Has Adjustments.

The one inconsistent use I've found is the name of the commands Copy After's Settings To Before, Copy Before's Settings To After, and Swap Before And After Settings. They work with adjustments, not develop settings (they don't copy crops).

Rotate and Flip are odd: LR doesn't consider them develop settings. 

Rotate is often used to correct cameras' mistakes in automatically rotating photos based on their internal level sensors.  Flip is often used to correct images from telescopes and other equipment.  In these use cases, it makes sense to exclude them from the definition of "develop setting", since the user will always rotate or flip the image before further changes to develop settings. 

But rotate and flip are often used to make aesthetic adjustments to images. For example, if you're pointing a camera straight down at the ground (e.g. flower beds), the rotated version may be more pleasing. Similarly, art directors often flip photos horizontally so they fit in better with an ad or text layout. In these use cases, rotate and flip should be treated like other develop settings and participate in the whole suite of commands: Reset, History, Copy/Sync Settings, etc.

These days, I'd venture to guess that because camera's level sensors are very good, and the percentage of LR's users who use telescopes and similar equipmentment is very small, the majority of invocations of Rotate and Flip across the entire LR user base are for aesthetic reasons.  But I think hell would freeze over before Adobe included them as develop settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Interesting summary. I'd also note the omission of Crop (or Aspect Ratio) so far as Presets.

In more loose usage many non-adjustment changes may count as an "edit" / "update" of the photo - for example, so far as what happens with external metadata and also the Catalog's timestamp for how recently an image has been worked on. Applying a keyword is enough, but adding the photo to a Collection or updating the properties or synonyms of a keyword which this image has already got applied would IIRC not be - becasue while these things do affect an image's appearance in the Catalog, they are not attributes particular to that image. It would appear that each Collection 'knows' which images it has got as members; the images do not supply that knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines