I'm not sure if the things I'm about to say is bug report or a feature request, a tantrum attack...or a little bit of everything. I'm a hobbyist photographer with quite an extensive background in photography and software development. The past month I have spent quite a lot of time trying to put together a photobook with images I took at my recent photography workshop(Jan 2022) with Colby Brown. The book I put together had about 240 images spread across a 213 page book. I used the largest landscape layout Blurb will allow to design my book. The drive to post this message to the community was the fact that I almost lost a whole month of work. When I was about 90% done LR just "lost" all but 6 pages of my work and I was 2 seconds away from a heart attack :-). To cut a long story short after restoring a 48 hr old backup and working for 2 days I managed to restore the book.
A couple of things I want to recommend to anyone trying this module:
-Export to PDF regularly
-Change the setting on your catalog to backup on exit
-Take a chill pill cause working with this module is not easy
A couple of things to the nice people who charge me for hundreds of dollars over the years presumably for this under developed archaic piece of forgotten software:
1. Build a new layout interface - It should be easier to much easier to save new layouts into groups, I would recommend using the left side which is hardly used
2. Going back and from the library and development module should not require reselecting the book collection every time and if you forget, take you to another empty collection leaving you thinking something went wrong every time and loosing time in the process. At least an user option go back to last collection
3. If you jump into development module to fix an image while “unused” filter was on should not show a black page until you turn the filter of at the bottom right corner every time
4. Selection is far from being perfect at times selecting the Photo text is really difficult
5. Selecting different fonts is very difficult and time consuming trying different font options
6. No option for first line indent…missing lots of text styling options
7. No way to change a photo angle…very useful for stickers and illustrations
8. Limited number of frame options for photo and no way to add more of your own
9. Very important - very limited global options for a book - for example change a base font for the whole book. Based on title, page text descriptions etc’. Very time consuming changing each photo and page individually
10. No alignment or copying layouts options - align center align together. There is a limited “copy layout” that does not work as expected!
11. No options for e-book export kindle etc
12. No option for powerpoint, web etc’ exports
13. No spelling correction
14. No diagnostics analysis
I’m sure there are a lot more feature requests I can think of but I will stop here. It’s important to say this module is extremely important and a missed opportunity. There is no better place for this module than inside LR. The main reason is the size of the screen, the computation power and the ability to organize and jump back and forth between post processing phote tweaks and the book text and design. If Adobe find this module to be an unnecessary burden or cost for development(the same goes for the other modules) please remove it and show us where to go next…!
Some comments on your post-
I almost lost a whole month of work.
Did you create a 'Saved Book Collection'? (NOT a 'Standard' Collection)
Have you made any 'Duplicates' of a 'Saved Book Collection (as a type of Book Backup)
Export to PDF- Does not allow you to restore the Book edits in the LrC Catalog.
Change the setting on your catalog to backup on exit- And Always after an editing session!
development module should not require reselecting the book collection every time
[D] opens a selected Photo (cell) in the Develop module
[Ctrl+Alt+4] WILL re-open the Book Module.
If you have created a 'Saved Book Collection'- A [Double-click] of THIS collection WILL re-open the Book.
Clicking on the top Book module menu will also take you back to the current book.
Limited number of frame options for photo and no way to add more of your own.
Not true. You can add Photo Cells on any page. (See link below) You can Resize and move any Photo Cell on any page. You can Create Custom Page Templates that preserve your Page & Photo Cell designs.
Agreed- you cannot 'rotate by degrees' an image "angle".
change a base font for the whole book
Easy, from the top Book Menu- [Edit]>[Select all Text] > Modify in the 'Type' panel.
show us where to go next…!
Adobe InDesign ?
IMO The Book module was added in Lr v4 to attract more 'sales' - and agree it has had few improvments over the years. And yet, when having learned all its functions, is acceptable to many for producing 'PHOTO Books' (Not Wedding Albums, Not Scrap Booking, Not 'fancy' books, etc)
The neglect of that module in conjunction with the monthly subscription is like mixing oil and water...just does not go together!!! There is no excuse for such poor quality of service...disappointing. I'm sure if we had statistics about the module usage it would extremely unflattering to Adobe.
PS: of course I used the very basic text option panel...over and over again...
Another example - the saved layouts are backed together with the text distance so if you want 6pt instead of 9pt you need to go over every frame and ifx it. There is an issue with the selection so just selecting the right object for editing is a bit of challenge.
LR has 7 modules 3 of which do not work well. That means I need a price cut and refrund of how much? 1000$ or I would think...