• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic catalog won't open

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2024 Aug 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Lightroom Classic catalog won't open. lrcat-shm and lrcat-wal files appear and disappear continuously with the loading screen stuck. I've tried deleting the lrcat.lock file and reset my preferences as those were some suggestions I saw but neither works. The lrcat.lock file just reappers along with shm and wal before those two disappear.

I'm using LrC 13.5 and MacOS 13.6.9

Thanks!

[Moved from ‘Bugs’ to ‘Discussions’ by moderator, according to forum rules. A ‘bug’ is not just another word for any problem with software!]

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2024 Aug 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those files need to reappear. Lightroom creates them on startup and deletes them on quit.  They have nothing to do with your problem. Your catalog may be corrupted. Try what happens if you force Lightroom to create a new catalog (move your current catalog to another folders Lightroom can't find it). Or try if Lightroom works correctly with a backup copy of your catalog.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is able to create another catalog just fine when I try. I also have another catalog that I use and that is able to boot up as well.

I don't have a backup copy of the catalog that's giving me issues so I'm not able to try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jtaungst , try what johan suggest. Catalogs are separate units so if you can create a new Catalog which functions as expected then you computer is functioning properly.

The problem you are experiencing is specific to the Catalog file, so it is likely currupt.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; (also Laptop Win 11, ver 23H2, LrC 14.0, ; ) Camera Oly OM-D E-M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the link below for help.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-error-catalog-cannot-be-opened-lrcat-lock.htm...

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; (also Laptop Win 11, ver 23H2, LrC 14.0, ; ) Camera Oly OM-D E-M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that - has no effect. The lrcat-shm and lrcat-wal files get stuck in this loop where they appear and disappear continuously. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jtaungst , ok try the following, go to the folder where your Catalog file is located with the .lrcat (LRCAT) extension if there is a .lock, .shm and  .wal files present delete all of them. Next double click on the Catalog file with the extension .lrcat (.LRCAT) file to launch LrC and open the Catalog. If that does not work it is likely the Catalog is the pproblem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does not work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2024 Aug 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is able to create another catalog just fine when I try. I also have another catalog that I use and that is able to boot up as well.

I don't have a backup copy of the catalog that's giving me issues so I'm not able to try that.

By @jtaungst

Also for other people who read this: That once again proves how important making backups is! If you had a backup, then this would have been easy to solve. Now there is only one more thing you can try. If that fails as well, then I am afraid you're out of options. Let Lightroom Classic create a brand new catalog. Choose 'File - Import from Another Catalog' and choose the problem catalog. In the dialog that comes up, choose to import all photos without moving them. That's it. If the import is successful, then you have created an exact copy of the old catalog this way, but hopefully one without those problems. Start using this catalog (you can trash the old one now) and start making regular catalog backups.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2024 Aug 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan,

I'm having a similar, not identical problem & the solution doesn't work - yet.

Here's what's going on:

I opened LrC a day or two ago & got a prompt that the Catalog could not be found.

I attempted to put it in manually but was unable due to the zip file being greyed out.

I do have multiple backups & those didn't work either.

I opened the backup folder with LrC closed & the zip files are now visible.

I reinstalled LrC, now with a brand new catalog & no luck.

Something is missing, would you have any idea what??

I'm on a Macbook Pro with Venture 13.5.2 & the most current version of LrC

Fingers crossed you have smoe other suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2024 Aug 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I attempted to put it in manually but was unable due to the zip file being greyed out."

You need to unzip a backup before you can use it. Double-clicking the zip file should normally launch an unzip utility.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that & it didn’t do anything. Being greyed out seems to be the
problem, is there anyway around that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just thought of something else…
It’s only greyed out when I try it with Lightroom (attempting) to open.
If I double clicked previous to that would it load correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom cannot unzip anything. You need a utility to unzip the backup. MacOS has a built-in unzip utility, so double clicking in the Finder (not in the Open dialog from Lightroom!) should unzip it. After you have done that, Lightroom can open the unzipped result. If your catalog contained masks, then the unzipped backup contains two files. Select the .lrcat file, not the file with the .lrcat-data extension. 

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines