• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC seems slower than previous Lightroom version it replaced

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic CC seems slower than previous Lightroom version it replaced.  To test the performance of the new classic update, I imported some raw pictures taken with a Nikon D810/D850 and am noticing that moving from one image to another (all with 1:1 previews) in the Develop module takes 4 seconds before the image is displayed after pressing an arrow key to move (or using the mouse to select an image).  When you move to another image, the UI is repainted first (and, i assume, the histogram calculated, etc.), and then the image is displayed on the screen.  Moving between the Library and Develop modules also results in about a 4 second delay before the image is displayed.  Moving between pictures in the Library module is almost instantaneous. 

This level of performance is unacceptable.  Doing a copy/paste of settings from one image to another takes longer in the latest Lightroom than in the previous one as the time needed to display the image seems to slow everything down, thus slowing down the entire workflow process.

Another quick test was to press the right arrow key 10 times in succession in the Develop module to move between images.  It took Lightroom Classic CC 20 seconds before the UI finally caught up and displayed the desired image.  Doing the same in the Library module takes about 3 seconds.

Or, is this just the level of performance to be expected?  Was this not tested during the beta process, or just deemed satisfactory by Adobe? 

What's the best way to get feedback directly to Adobe on this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 294 Replies 294
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info Jao "Also, antivirus tools that scan all disk access have a major impact on speed"

Is it the Cache folder that need excluding? I've excluded this and the actual Lightroom .exe in my anti-virus.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to exclude both the cache folder and the Lightroom catalog itself and it's previews folder for performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never thought of it.

Do these exclusions cover it?

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PastaRhymes, You want to exclude your catalog file and the previews folder as well as the camera raw cache. The program files as you excluded are not important for this. The camera raw cache location can be found in preferences. The catalog and previews are wherever you stored your catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao, my catalog and camera raw cache are excluded. If the previews folder is in the catalog location, then I got that, too.

I just restarted my PC and edited 15 RAW files and it took forever. Granted, I edit 42 megapixel RAWs from my Sony A7RII but I shoot compressed RAWs and my PC should be fast enough to handle that (I think).

Here's my setup:

i7 6700K

Nvdia GTX 970 4GB

64GB RAM

SSD 1 for Windows 10 and apps: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

SSD 2 for working files, LR catalog, camera raw cache, etc.: Samsung 950 PRO NVME M.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there is more than one issue. AV is just a very common one for terrible performance that is undervalued.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AV?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Antivirus

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 3:08 PM, PastaRhymes <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genius! Many thanks Jao. The anti-virus tweak seems to have sorted it for me! Lightning quick. Happy Days!

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am seeing weird behaviour. After I open LR Classic, for about 10-15 minutes, the program runs fine, everything is responsive, local adjustments are fast, exports are fast. However, then it’s like a switch is thrown and the whole program starts to grind to a halt. I start getting screen blanking, freezes, swapping from one raw to another takes 10-15s before the new one appears. If I close LR and restart it’s fine for another 10 or so minutes, and so on. Sounds like there is some sort of huge memory leak.

I have tried disbaling GPU rendering only makes a small difference. I will try and get rid of my presets and see what happens. DxO Photolab on the other hand just flies so I’m covered now no matter what Adobe does and I’m not expecting any improvements from them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running a multi-gpu system or one with a docking station?

I found the same kind of behavior right after upgrading and found that my default gpu selection had been un-set at the system level and in LR (I'm on Windows)

I've also had problems in general with my displaylink-based docking station since the last big windows update.  I found that to get any real performance, there are some apps that I can't run on the screens managed by the docking station.  LR is one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m on AMD system, no internal GPU, just the external Nvidia GTX1080Ti, which is a beast.

I’ll try and delete my previews like someone mentioned. I don’t have a lot of Presets, but I’ll see what it does by removing them. Never ever affected LR before this however, so I’m not ex-eating any improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing the presets worked also for me ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I delete ALL of my previews.  This seemed to resolve EVERY problem I was having with Lightroom Classic CC.  Ran the update today which I was not prompted for, and that seems fine too!  I've spent two weeks testing every other solution and nothing really compares to the simplicity of lightroom.  Some other programs have slightly better editors and presets, but overall my workflow is best suited for Lightroom.  Mark this as an answer if this works for you.  Good luck!

NOTE:  Running Lightroom on Windows as an administrator a few times might not hurt.  I turned it off and didn't have any trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BACK TO MAJOR SLOWNESS ACROSS THE BOARD!   WE BETTER GET TWO MONTHS FREE FOR THIS CRAPPY UPDATE!!!  I can't even toggle an adjustment on and off to compare.  The sliders are useless without updating the live view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.  Had the full CC suite installed since July, all ran blisteringly fast.  LR CC ran very smoothly, with everything being instantaneous, importing, previewing, sorting through library, develop mode, using automated actions such as photomerge, all instantaneous.

Since installing the update the week before last I've had no end of issues with LR, most of the other apps seem to be OK, for now anyway.  Previews take ages to load, actions like photomerge take over 5minutes in some cases, and at times it the whole LR window just blacks out as if it's about to crash.  Maybe it's something to do with the way it addresses RAM perhaps???

This is on my work system, a Dell laptop:

• i7
  • 32GB RAM
  • 1TB SSD (66% free capacity)
  • Quadro M1000M graphics / Intel 530

Initially I thought it was perhaps something to do with the Windows Fall update, but I don't think it is.

Has anyone found a resolution to this yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic CC is simply unusable! It's absolutely unreliable, slow, sometimes not responding for seconds.

Just got an error message: server is not responding...

I'm working with LR since V3 and actually never had real performance issues.

With Adobe claiming improving performance I went ahead and installed classic cc.

I understand if there is a little bug here and there in the beginning but this is unacceptable not even for a beta.

Please Adobe get your sh... together, there are people working with it for a living.

I7

System SSD

SSD for LR and PS

32 GB

1050Ti 388.00

3840x2160

MacBook Pro 2013

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Compared to LR 2015.13 The import of LR classic is 3 to 4 times as slow and that is a pity. We tried all the tips of Adobe about having the library and previews in same folder and import as embedded sidecar etc etc. It is slow and it stays very slow compared to the previous LR versions. We use Lightroom from almost the start of it.

The developing is ok but still things to try.

Macpro 5.1 12 core.

Sierra on SSD

Lightroom on SSD

48 GB

Graphics R9 AMD 3GB

Hope Adobe can at least give an answer why import is very slow and maybe has an advantage later when developing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 or 4 times as slow seems very wrong, so how about posting some "scientific" comparisons? Try taking the same flash card, same card reader, with a new catalogue each time as you import it into 2015.13 and Classic. Use the same preview options in Import too. I suggest 1:1 previews so that the test is directly comparable (the new Embedded and Sidecar is doing something very different from in 2015.13).

These Puget Systems results are for PCs, but what's important is the comparative improvement - Classic is importing twice as quickly as 2015.12. That's similar to my testing which showed 1:1 previews are generating 2.5 times faster, standard previews 4 times.

The new Embedded & Sidecar method is intended to allow you to get reviewing earlier images while the rest of the import completes in the background. So the measure of its success is not simply how long it takes to complete - it's more about how quickly you can start reviewing the shoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@john beardsworth  and Adobe

How is "works on my machine" helping here? Do you really think all the people complaining here made that up?
Why do I need to be an expert or perform tests in order to prove something is not working I spent many for?

All these delete this and that or change whatever. Doesn't sound scientific to me either.

It's simply not working. Period!

And it was working with the previous version, at least for me.

So again, please help Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your claim of 3 or 4 times is an outlier, so do you not expect people to question it? It's not exactly difficult to do a test such as I suggested. Also, remember this is a user-to-user forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We opened a new catalog in LR Classic and importing 60000 images on minimum and goes superfast. But now the question. How can i manage the import of my old catalog in LR 2015.13 in LR classic without the problem that after the import is very slow as I stated before. (I do not want to throw away my old catalog).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried File > Import from Another Catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it works. Start LR classic with new catalog, then File-import from catalog (old cataloge from 2015.13). LR will tell that it is converting the old catalog. After that you can choose to import all the directories or just one or a few. Did that and goes fast and after when importing pictures from disc it goes also fast. For me it is solved for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the succes of new catalog and import from old catalog LR Classic is again slow on new import (with same amount of pictures 210pc imported on minimum preview we imported in LR 2015.13 in 15 seconds and in LR Classic 180 sec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines