• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC seems slower than previous Lightroom version it replaced

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic CC seems slower than previous Lightroom version it replaced.  To test the performance of the new classic update, I imported some raw pictures taken with a Nikon D810/D850 and am noticing that moving from one image to another (all with 1:1 previews) in the Develop module takes 4 seconds before the image is displayed after pressing an arrow key to move (or using the mouse to select an image).  When you move to another image, the UI is repainted first (and, i assume, the histogram calculated, etc.), and then the image is displayed on the screen.  Moving between the Library and Develop modules also results in about a 4 second delay before the image is displayed.  Moving between pictures in the Library module is almost instantaneous. 

This level of performance is unacceptable.  Doing a copy/paste of settings from one image to another takes longer in the latest Lightroom than in the previous one as the time needed to display the image seems to slow everything down, thus slowing down the entire workflow process.

Another quick test was to press the right arrow key 10 times in succession in the Develop module to move between images.  It took Lightroom Classic CC 20 seconds before the UI finally caught up and displayed the desired image.  Doing the same in the Library module takes about 3 seconds.

Or, is this just the level of performance to be expected?  Was this not tested during the beta process, or just deemed satisfactory by Adobe? 

What's the best way to get feedback directly to Adobe on this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 294 Replies 294
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my system configuration:

Windows 10

i7-5960x CPU - 8 core, 16 threads

32GB RAM

SSDs for boot drive, application, pictures, cache, catalog, etc.

Nvidia GTX-1080 (8GB)

display resolution: 3840x2160 (4K)

This machine should hum with Lightroom...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Granted, no one normally would step through one photo after another,

In fact that is how I tend to work.

Import with “embedded & sidecar” (no import preset & not import & convert to DNG)

Cull

Place picks into a collection & generate 1:1 previews

Go to develop and work through the editing one at a time. This seems zippy to me. I don’t see any loading overlay which suggests there is some pre-caching of the next couple of photos when moving along the film strip in order.

N.B. I have not tested this on images with existing adjustments. Thanks for your own testing results brente978

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From an editing perspective only..

.i did the below and now LR Classic is just as fast as LR CC...note that CC defaulted to my slower graphic card...hope this helps

I went on to some of the forums looking a solution.  One was to uncheck the Graphics Processor in Preferences.....this cut down the lag from 9 seconds to 4 seconds...better, but still not comparable to what i had before.

I have two graphics carrds...one is Intel and the other is NVidia....which could be a prob....so i found Adobe Photoshop Lightroom/GPU troubleshooting amd FAQ page...specifically Solution 3, #6 Multiple Graphics Card...then manually went in to  Nvidia and added all Adobe products and changed from Global/auto select to Nvidia processor....IT WORKED! Lightning quick.  I do hope it works for you too!!!

Last Resort....reinstall the previous LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really helpful and detailed test!

I totally agree with you, I was stuck using LR 5.7, with these new release I decided to jump on board and purchased a subscription.

The new LR Classic is in my opinion, slower the the old 5.7 in the normal usage. In a couple of hours of work with some jpg e raf files I had to close and reopen it because it got stuck with "Not Responding". I discovered the "People" process in background and stopped it thinking that it was responsible of the poor performances, but even after stopping the background people recognition LR performances didn't get better.

Very poor job Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edit 1000-2000 high sport photos several times each week (have a small business).  I shoot in burst mode and have to go through each photo to find the best "moment'.  The performance hit is killing me.  I may have to switch software soon.  I can not continue at this performance pace...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switch back to the old LR (2015) - you can have installed both, for example via Creative Cloud app page > Lightroom Classic > Other Versions. You then have to update the LR (2015) via the app page again.

Others mentioned this here earlier and it "solved" my problem - as in I can now work as before, while keeping an eye for a patch or solution that would make the new LR Classic usable for me. The new features are nice but not worth ruining my livelihood.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kantas--  I've been using LR since the beginning when Adobe purchased RAW SHOOTER.  Lately, each iteration seems to answer issues that are not there to people who actually use the program to produce.  The new version off CC looks completely ridiculous [with due respect].  I am really hoping this is not the direction the will be taking LR.  Each new version seems to get bigger and more complicated.  I have never used MAP or BOOK, nor have any use for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should try Photo Mechanic for culling. It works like properly coded (existing in our dreams only) "LIbrary" module in LIghtroom - blazing fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new high-end Windows machine, and (like everyone else on this forum) find that the performance of LR Classic is totally unacceptable. Clearly what Adobe would like is for everyone to migrate to LR CC, but at this point it lacks the features to appease power users. (For me, the shortcomings of LR CC include its lack of multi-monitor support as well as its lack of hierarchical collections.

Since I think we've all pretty much given up on Adobe fixing Classic (and since the development of LR CC suggests to me that Adobe itself has given up on trying to fix Classic), my question is: how difficult is it to migrate existing photos to another program, including the nondestructive edits made in LR?

Can any of the other major progams out there ingest the LR catalog and apply edits made in LR? Curious if there are any migration success stories.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the process of migrating my catalog of 46000 images from LR CC latest version to ON1. After the meltdown patch, it seems that SQLite programs like LR will experience slowdowns of 50% or more. This is according to ZDNet:

"Gruss told ZDNet that general browsing and low processor-intensive work are less likely to be affected by any slow downs.

"We have observed many workloads that are not affected much," he said. "Generally, a large number of context switches is bad for performance when KAISER is applied," referring to KAISER, a kernel isolation technique, which Gruss wrote a paper about last year.

"For instance doing a lot of accesses to small files, you might have slow downs of 50 percent or more," he confirmed."

Given the huge number of files in an LR catalog, it seems likely that some operations will now be far slower. My export has taken 24 hours and it is still only 33% done and that is on a Core i7-6700 at 3.4 Ghz with 16GB ram in Windows 10.  BTW, when I exported my catalog to jpg for archiving ( essentially the same process) on my old 2011 era AMD A8 last year, it took less than half the time and on a far slower machine. SO if LR CC got slower before meltdown, it surely will be now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm appalled that they cannot get this together.  I have a brand new PC with 16gb of ram and this version just drags.  I'm really not starting to trust Adobe as this is the 2nd or 3rd time they've said that they have improved performance.  They clearly have not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for my english. I agree with that. We cannot trust Adobe anymore. I think I´ve be waiting for a solution too long and I´ll give C1 one chance. I noticed a big performance drop when I upgraded my monitor from a 1080 one to a 4K.

System configuration: i5@3.3GHZ / 16GB / 480GB samsung SSD / Radeon R7 260x 2GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe if you don't fix this issue within 2 weeks I am cancelling my subscription. How can you screw up a totally fine product.  "If it ain't broke then don't fix it"  This really pisses me off!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Recently I've upgraded my 5 year old PC from "Ivy Bridge" Intel Core i7 3770K (4 cores HT) to the latest Skylake system with Intel Core i7 7820X (8 cores HT), 16 GB RAM, NVM SSD, ATI Radeon 280. Unfortunately after this HW upgrade Lightroom didn't get any significant performance increase and still was slow in basic operations. So I've been waiting for major release with performance optimizations. When Adobe has release new Lightroom Classic CC 7.0 and promised increased performance, I've started testing it and initially I found some improvements with catalog navigation in Library mode. But after some time of processing photos, navigation in develop and exporting I found that it feels even slower than previous LR version... Test results provided by brente978 prove the develop performance degradation, which is absolutely unacceptable.

I've been looking at using Capture One Pro instead of Lightroom in my photography workflow. In spite of significant differences with LR and lack of some features I've get used to, I must say that it has far more responsive editing UI and much better preview generation and export performance! It seems that now I have to switch from LR to C1 until LR won't be ACTUALLY FIXED and may be if I get used to C1 I will never switch back and won't have this lagging SW experience nomore.

P.S. I'm processing RAW shots from Canon 5D Mark IV and you can find my detailed System Information attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree!!! This is absolutely ridiculous! I have 2000 photos to edit and at this rate it's going to take a year. I press a button and lightroom won't respond for at least 5 seconds. Sometimes it even takes 20-30 seconds. I have a top of the line macbook pro which ran the last light room fine. What a horrible update by adobe. It needs to be fixed asap!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, I have 12,000 photos to edit and 96,000 to cull.  Believe me I feel ya.  Thank God for Photomechanic for the latter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree that THIS IS ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE!  This release is a complete disaster and I am right in the middle of post-processing several impending shoot deliveries!!!! It is taking me four times as long to process a single photo.  I have a powerful MacBook Pro with plenty of computer power, plenty of memory and at this point very little patience.  What was Adobe thinking?  Trying to force us into buying more cloud space maybe and using the cloud version?  I haven't and don't intend to as I like everything on my desktop locally.

The smart preview option is a non-starter.  Read the (what I consider a warning) text under the selection box, which warns it will allow increased performance but may display decreased quality while editing..........  Oh boy, what rocket scientist thought that one up.  The reason we are editing is to improve quality, and I can just imagine how many over-worked photos that will result in.

The worst part is it is on the weekend and can't even contact support.  What a mess, and we pay for this at that.  UGH!!!!!  Sorry for venting, but as you can tell - I AM SO FRUSTRATED and now days (which at this rate could turn into weeks before long) behind in post-processing!!!!

I am up for plan renewal in three weeks and I can tell you if this isn't fixed, I am definitely looking elsewhere, but regret the thought as it took me almost six months to migrate over from Aperture to Lightroom (which until now and without question IMHO was leaps and bounds better), but just when you get comfortable and confident BAM- Adobe comes along and sends you into a state of turmoil!  UGH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is realy very slow on devlop module and freeze every 2 minute on Windows 10 pro / I7 / 24 gb ram / ssd samsung evo / nvidia gtx 1060 6gb. In the library module is fast enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm another one for the collection of complaints about Classic CC being slower than Lightroom CC 2015. I noticed it right away when importing it fired my cpu up higher than ever before, and took some time to process everything. After speaking with an adobe associate for some length, I decided the update did not offer up enough benefit to continue going through with. They were kind enough to show me how to revert back.

After some time with both pieces of software, playing around with things, i can say without a doubt that CC 2015 is still faster on my machine for virtually everything. You know Classic CC has issues when you go to use a brush and after painting in some exposure, you have to wait a solid second to see the effects paint in. Wow!

Now admittedly I'm running an older model mac, but it's an i7 @ 2.93ghz, with 16G ram, and a new HD. Oh and did I mention that the previous version of lightroom works perfectly on this machine?!

Adobe, please get your act together on this one. A lot of us depend on your software to eek out some form of existence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had them take remote control of my computer & they fix the speed issues. I recommend doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dnilp - do you happen to know what it is that they had you change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ufff man, it was complicated. They changed the "read & write" permits in like 2 or 3 different places, and added users to a couple of places. I did it via their Chat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries.  Figured there was a magic "work faster" checkbox that was hiding somewhere that I missed... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea if Adobe reads these forum messages or not, but when I did a search to report bugs in Lightroom, I was pointed to another forum that mabe they read?

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

So, not sure how this forum and the other forum differs, but did see Adobe respond to posts in the other forum, so I reported the develop module performance degradation that I experienced.

FYI...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to answer your implied question, brente978, this forum is supposed to be for communication among users and the other forum (feedback.photoshop.com) is for communication among users and between users and Adobe staff. I only monitor the feedback site, as often as not an issue that I think is based in confusion turns out to an actual problem with the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines