• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC seems slower than previous Lightroom version it replaced

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic CC seems slower than previous Lightroom version it replaced.  To test the performance of the new classic update, I imported some raw pictures taken with a Nikon D810/D850 and am noticing that moving from one image to another (all with 1:1 previews) in the Develop module takes 4 seconds before the image is displayed after pressing an arrow key to move (or using the mouse to select an image).  When you move to another image, the UI is repainted first (and, i assume, the histogram calculated, etc.), and then the image is displayed on the screen.  Moving between the Library and Develop modules also results in about a 4 second delay before the image is displayed.  Moving between pictures in the Library module is almost instantaneous. 

This level of performance is unacceptable.  Doing a copy/paste of settings from one image to another takes longer in the latest Lightroom than in the previous one as the time needed to display the image seems to slow everything down, thus slowing down the entire workflow process.

Another quick test was to press the right arrow key 10 times in succession in the Develop module to move between images.  It took Lightroom Classic CC 20 seconds before the UI finally caught up and displayed the desired image.  Doing the same in the Library module takes about 3 seconds.

Or, is this just the level of performance to be expected?  Was this not tested during the beta process, or just deemed satisfactory by Adobe? 

What's the best way to get feedback directly to Adobe on this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 294 Replies 294
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree! Adobe needs to listen to what we are saying and address this now before people start switching to alternatives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the new v. 7.1. Mine is much better and faster now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to 7.1 and the bloody thing has eaten all my editing presets and all my export presets, as well as my brushes.  Soooooo annoyed - had to reinstall them all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on LR7.1 now - it definitely improved so far. CPU load much less than before. Let's see how long it holds...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm finding the same results. They didn't mention performance improvements, but things are actually working well again without everything slowing to a crawl after a bit of use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import/Preview generate goes lightning fast for me.

The CPU goes up to 90%+ (Ryzen 7 1700X - 8 core 3.9GHz, GPU is 1060, 16GB RAM , SSD 850 EVO).

I create 1:1 and Smart previews at import, but no conversion to DNG.

Older LR only used around  15-20% of CPU when importing/exporting.

Just check 'Generate previews in parallel' in preferences > performance tab.

Develop module is another story...just unusable for any serious work.

It kinda beats the whole purpose of using lightroom for its fast workflow.

10 brushes + 10 healing spot pretty much kills it...zoom to 1:1 takes  3-4 seconds, pan is sluggish, changing between photos takes 4-7 seconds.

I have just discovered that changing Process to version 3 (2012) restores some of the develop module performance.

Another weird thing: exporting 4 files makes LR jump from 6 GB memory usage to 9 GB!

Once the export is over it keeps 7 GB memory usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After two days of use, it improved definitely compared to 7.0, still in develop module it is sometimes quite slow and a few seconds delay may well happen. In these cases, everything in the UI updates slowly (menus, panels) and at the very end the image. Should be the other way round. Also, after switching images in "d" mode using film strip keyboard shortcuts such as switching on/off image text sometimes is sometimes not possible for a few seconds. So, back to normal poor known 6.X performance but not improved as promised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I'm on the new 7.1 version and nothing has changed, switching between photos (d810 raws) takes up to 3-8 seconds, this way it's impossible to check and select photos from 600-900 photos that I import at a time.

This is my workstation setup, I highly doubt that this would be the problem...

4k monitor, using it in 3200x1800 resolution (plus a 1080p monitor on the side)

i7 4790k

32GB ram

nvidia 1060

double intel ssd's in raid0 for operating system and lightroom

four 15K Cheetah SAS drives in raid 0 for data storage (where I store my raw files)

(camera raw is set to 100GB and all those "nice" features like face recognition and mobile sync are turned off)

What could I do? Jobs can take up to 2 or 3 times more hours to finish just because lightroom is becoming unusable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many presets do you have? Lightroom slows down tremendously when switching between images in develop when you have a lot of presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also note the type of presets. I have seen cases of VCSO presets causing serious slowdowns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zero presets, default settings, new catalog (for testing purposes) containing only 8 edited photos (CR2 20mpx) with an average of 7 brushes and 10 spot healing.

Unless I change process version from 4 to 3 I am pretty sure I will cancel my subscription because of the induced frustration.

While using version 3 (2012) the performance seems on par with older LR.

Library module is very fast to switch between photos and zoom to 1:1.

Develop module is like a snail.

Tested DXO PhotoLab...pretty impressive performance and features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bit off topic but I thought I would suggest something.  Have you ever looked at Photomechanic?  Not a photo editing product but it is KILLER fast for importing and culling images.  I am a freelance sports photographer so I too load hundreds of files - sometimes thousands depends on the event - and need to cull them quickly.  Lightroom can't hold a candle to Photomechanic for this task.  Workflow takes a bit to work out but you can really fly selecting keepers and tagging images.

As for your Lightroom issues I have no great advice.  I am still having issues on my desktop.  I recently bought a new Macbook Pro and it runs OK on there.  However, I am still running the older version on my desktop because 7.1 sucks SO bad (the mixed versions haven't caused an issue yet but they will soon I am sure).  I have been on support chats with Adobe but nothing seems to help.  Before I bought the Macbook, I bought a new Dell XPS with all the bells and whistles - still Lightroom came to a standstill with only about 50 images in a catalog.  As a long time Lightroom user - since version 1.4 -  I am totally disgusted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the tip. I will definitely look into that.

Corinna

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no luck with 7.1 performance is still abysmal. Its pretty clear that a lot of Lightroom users are having this issue as well. Starting to doubt that these performance issues will actually get fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody that thinks Adobe will address this is delusional. They have a long history of ignoring problems, and it’s cklear they will do as little as possible for us dinosaurs that still don’t use a phone for their photography. Lightroom CC is the future, Classic will receive camera and lens updates while all the cool new features go into the mobile product. You watch just like Apple abandoned Aperture for the mobile platform, Adobe will kill off Classic entirely within 5 years max.

7.1 made no difference, I barely have any presets, have tried everything trick and it still slows to a crawl after about 10-15 minutes. I have become very proficient in DxO Photolab and C1 Pro 11, just use the Library module of LR mostly or quick RAW processing occasionally, so I’m no longer as annoyed, at least other companies still care about photographers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just spent 2.5 days editing 72 images using Lightroom classic CC. The job should have taken half a day at most. I use a top spec macbook pro (2016) and the performance issues are beyond bad. The previous version was slow but the latest version is not a viable option for editing in a professional/ work context. I have tried every trick out there to improve performance and nothing improves the situation. I'm so over adobe and have now decided to move over to Capture one pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lighroom is now unstably slow for me too since the last update.  Everything is slow, there are frustrating delays between most options.

I have fast HW.

For example, if I take a basic photo from my 5DIII, and hit "auto" tone, it takes 5 full seconds to finish.   If I switch back to original in history, it takes less than 1s, but is still a noticeable delay.  clicking on the auto step in history again takes > 1s.

Switching between library and develop is also frustratingly slow, around 1s each way.

Even adding images to a collection is very slow.  You have to wait for each image you add. This is crazy.  And switching back and forth between images in develop mode is, as people have said, unbearable.

HW:

1. Samsung 960 PRO NVMe 2TB SSD (3,500MB/s)
  2. Intel Core i7 7700HQ @ 2.8GHz
  3. 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz
  4. GTX 1060 6GB
  5. 1TB Curical M550 SSD

All my LR settings are default.

Note, my lrcat is big, but I optimise it on each exit.  I have found that whenever the lrcat gets too big (around 100GB of images), you have to abandon it and start a new one. I have 3 lrcats so far, and if I want to search for an image, I have to load each one.

LR is slow.  I wish there were an alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note, my lrcat is big, but I optimise it on each exit.  I have found that whenever the lrcat gets too big (around 100GB of images), you have to abandon it and start a new one. I have 3 lrcats so far, and if I want to search for an image, I have to load each one.

My catalog is nearly 3TB, but no problems!!

Bob frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob Frost,

Given that you are using the most current version of LR Classic CC with a large catalog and have no performance issues, I'd be curious to know what your hardware setup is.  As I recall from one of your previous post, you are on a Windows 10 PC.  I'm asking because it seems that newer, more powerful PCs and Macs are having more performance issues than LR on older machines.

Thank you.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  do you have a 4k monitor?  Does anyone with a low resolution monitor (1080p) have our infamous problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using two 4k monitors (plus a third standard monitor) with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3G.

Performance is great in every application with this sytem, except LR Classic CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´ve the same hardware since 2014. Ive only changed the monitor from a 1050 to a 4k (on 10/2015). Since then I´ve started with all those famous problems with Lightroom. 4k needs more power but other photo software deals with that without any problem. Does Adobe software have a problem with >1050px monitors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have 4k monitors

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info corinnaa73954416 but 1440 / 1600 or simply 1080?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5K & 30 Bit NEC 272.  It is painfully slow.   PS seems the better alternative.  But I can't work like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines