Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC slow (what else?)

Contributor ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I know this is a question that everyone is asking, but I have seen performance improvement with the release of LR Classic CC? only to have it slow down again after some updates.

On my Desktop, LR is workable, I have one master Catalog, with around 90.000 images in, mostly RAW files. Desktop is: Intel Core i7-4930K CPU @3.40GHz - 3.70GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX770 2GB (Dual EIZO screens), WIN10.

On my Laptop however, I only keep a small working catalog, which is what I am shooting on the day/holiday, typically, LR catalog will not exceed 1.000 photos, as I do all my culling in PhotoMechanic 5, as LR is a nightmare for culling.  My Laptop, is a Dell XPS15 (i7-6700HQ Quad Core, 6MB Cache - 3.5GHz) with a 15.6 inch 4K Ultra HD screen (with touch), 16GB RAM and Geforce GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 GPU).

Lightroom bogs down and I often get the program to go into "not responding"-mode. Despite knowing LR is slow, I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and blame my laptop.  I used a fresh WIN10 install (without all the Dell bloatware on it) and only installed programs on it that I will use often and mainly for photos. (Photoshop CC, Lightroom Classic CC (not LR mobile), Photomechanic).  And still, Lightroom doesn't improve on speeds... I have tried to disable the GPU, enable it again, doesn't seem to speed up any work in LR. PS seems to be a lot more responsive.

I often go on underwater photographic trips and have noticed that the LR version of MAC is a lot faster, even for culling.  My Dell XPS has similar, if not better specs than even a recent MacBook Air or even the Pro version, and it is still slower.  As said, even culling in the Library Module (not full screen, just "E"), is loading images fast on Mac, but hangs and gives "not responding" on pc.  Also exporting the images (even if only 20 images), it will stop responding at least 5 times, if not more!

I am using a Canon 5D mk iii (24MP) and a Canon 5D mk iv (30MP, not even used Dual Pixel Raw), I used to convert to .dng, but stopped doing that and am only using the native .cr2 files, as I have had issues with dng - and - for cloud based backup, a dng file will have to reupload every time, in stead of the small xmp sidecar file.

I feel I have tried everything that I have looked up, read about, heard, but LR remains unworkable. The specs of the laptop should be more than enough to keep it running smoothly. CPU is not maxed out at 100%, nor is the RAM when LR throws itself into a fit..

Hoping someone can help me to sort this out... Sorry about the tone, but this is going on for almost 2 years and it is very frustrating!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Large screen (4K) monitors such as yours, large image files, and relatively slow CPUs are situations where the slowdown like you are experiencing can occur, even if you do no editing, the processor has lots of work to do just generating previews. Lots of brushing and/or spot healing make the problem worse.

I am guessing that spec-wise, the laptop should be more than adequate?

But you told me the exact CPU, and you can easily look up benchmarks on this CPU. It is not fast by today's standards, and

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just have mouse lag issue in LR Classin in 2020. No other soft with this problem and no any problem with this PC, but LR still terrible optimized - its just how Adobe work now and ever. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2024 Mar 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Faaawk! What are you talking about and why? How long did it take you to type all that nonsense. Really? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Faaawk! What are you talking about and why? How long did it take you to type all that nonsense. Really? 

By @Scott E.36141900cm8m

Seriously? This crud on a six year old post?

Please see:

Adobe Community Guidelines

Community How-To Guide - Tips & Best Practices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines