• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic Crashes when importing from card reader

Engaged ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I attempted to search for an answer before coming to the community, but I am not interested in issues posted in 2014. This community has proven to be the best source for solving Lightroom issues. This happens often, but not all the time. 1). I insert a card in the card reader 2). File manager opens (Windows 10) and identifies a "Lumix" drive with the familiar folder tree structure I expect to see on my SD card (formatted with a Panasonic Lumix camera). I click on import and the X in the upper right corner turns red and the application freezes. I am dead in the water. I have to kill the Lightroom app. Sometimes it works when I restart Lightroom/computer. Sometimes it does not work and so here I am typing away my troubles. Again, I will contact Dell but I do not anticipate any solitions from them.

I apologize that my response is a little terse, but this issue is quite frustrating. One wants software to work flawlessly so effort can focus on creativity.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Initially this sounds like one of the following problems

1. SD card corrupt/broken

2. SD card reader kaput

3. USB  cable between card reader and computer damaged or wrong type (would not work at all if not a data cable)

4. USB  conflict, input/output or more likely IRQ conflict with another device, try a different USB port (is this a USB 2 device, try a USB 2 port instead of a USB 3 port to avoid a conflict with say a external hard drive)

5. USB port damaged

6. Problem in OS (not likely)

You can try another card reader, another cable, another SD card.

Probably not an issue with Lightroom.

A workaround. Create a folder via Lightroom Classic Folder Panel, to store the photos in, or use one you already have. Close Lightroom Classic. Using your OS file manager (Windows File Explorer, MAC  Finder) copy the photos from the SD card to the desired folder. (that is Copy, not Move, do not trust Move right now). Launch Lightroom Classic, Bring up Import, select ADD, add the photos to your catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just do not see how a statement can be made that it is probably not the software. It may be both hardware AND software. The SD card is fine. The SD reader is a "drive" slot on the computer. I can only rely on driver upgrades for the hardware and software upgrades for the application. I will try to bang on Dell's door to get a response but it is not easy. Too bad Adobe and Dell cannot have a conversation to discuss compatibility. Throw in Microsoft as well (OS).

I apologize if my response offends; I am frustrated with not being able to focus all my attention on processing images rather than getting hardware and software to work in harmony.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry buddy, but this is pure nonsense!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

We apologize about the issue you are facing with Lightroom crashing when importing images.

Would you mind telling me if the issue started after an update to the application or to Windows? And, have you tried using a different card reader?

You may try to reset the preferences for Lightroom classic using the link below. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html#restore_prefere...

Note : Please take a back up of your presets, profiles and other settings prior to resetting the preferences 

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will click on your link to resetting preferences. In the meantime, the problem started when I acquired the new computer. But, in the meantime, several upgrades to Lightroom have been released. Perhaps I could roll back to a little older version of the software and see if there is still a problem. The problem is intermittent, so again, finding a solution is exacerbating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar problems have occured in the past. Often members advise that a hardware issue may be occurring and it is probably (note that word, probably, not absolutely) not the Adobe software.

Six times out of ten a argumentive OP comes back with, no, it can not be, and but, and no, etc

Four times out of those six, opps, yep the card reader died, or yep, an Android phone hosed things up.

Now it might be the software, it might be the OS, but more often it is a bit of hardware.

So how about one very simple diagnostic step.

Exit Lightroom, place the SD card in the reader, Use your OS file manager to look at the SD card. Copy the images to a hard drive. If  that works, great, not the SD card, not the reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. I have copied files from the SD card in the SD computer slot to a temporary folder on my desktop and then imported them into Lightroom. However, these are additional steps I prefer to avoid. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If for some reason your problem does not get resolved, save a step. DO NOT COPY TO TEMP, Why did you copy to a temp folder?

Copy the images to the folder you want them in for Lightroom.

In Lightroom, in the Library module, in the Folders panel, let’s say that you place normally your RAW images in a folder you named Photos.

Now let’s assume the path is C:/MyPhotos/Photos/

Will go and copy from the SD card into C:/MyPhotos/Photos, not C:/temp

Then back in Lightroom, when you Import, you select ADD

do not place them in C:/temp, then in Lightroom Import select Copy. wasted effort.

Obviously the above folder names and paths were invented from thin air, they have no connection to your actual file structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My "MO" is to take as few steps as neccessary when using the computer. I let Lightroom copy the camera-specific raw files to DNG when importing images. If I copy them to the final destination directory and sync Lightroom to add the images to the database, I will then have to manually convert them to DNG. So, copying them to a temp directory and importing them actually saves steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, the OS works with the SD card and reader.

Now, in Lightroom Classic, in the Import screen, in the left side, under source, is the SD card not found?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. Lightroom freezes; therefore no drives are listed for import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, current summary

SD card reader is  internal

Can use OS to copy from SD card to hard drive

Can use Import in Lightroom to add those photos on hard drive

Can not import from SD card via Lightroom Import as Lightroom freezes

So, if a SD card is in the reader, Lightroom freezes. If no SD card is inserted, Lightroom does not freeze

Humor me, do you have another SD card?/ Same behavior?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am traveling the rest of this week and will be shooting pictures. I will format a new SD card and see if the problem reoccurs when I return home and import the images into Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inquiry

As this is a Windows OS, have you permantly assigned a drive letter to the SD card reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. There is a permanent drive letter assigned to the SD Card Slot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dirty filthy word, completly overlooked an obvious question

What is your Lightroom Classic version? Last year a bug existed that hit some users hard and it fouled up import from SD cards. I do not have a reference to back that up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

v.8.4.1. As I suggested in an earlier reply, perhaps I should roll back to a little older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines