• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic "delete from disk" option not available in collections

New Here ,
Sep 09, 2018 Sep 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, I no longer get the option "delete from disk" when I hit Ctrl-backspace to delete by rejected photos. All I get is the "remove" option. This is true when I am working in collections but not in folders. In folders I do get the "delete from disk" option. Does this mean I have to work in folders to delete the photos? I'd prefer not to. I prefer to work in collections. If I have to go to the folder, it means I have to figure out what folder the photo is in and go there. That's such a pain. But I will if I have to, I guess. Is there a way to get the option "delete from disk" to appear when I am in collections? I could swear this option was available. Maybe they took it away in an update. Thanks for the information.

I do have the latest update for Lightroom Classic.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't delete from disk when you're in Collection. It's always been like that.

The option to delete from disk is only available when you're looking at images in Folders.

When you remove the image from Collection, it's only removed from Collection.

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> "If I have to go to the folder, it means I have to figure out what folder the photo is in and go there. That's such a pain. But I will if I have to, I guess."

You must have a low threshold for pain. Just right-click on the thumbnail and select "Go to Folder in Library".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just working in a collection with 735 images, rejecting 239 of them.  So, it is a little "painful" to right click on each of the 239 images and select delete.  I would hope that Adobe provides a way to delete from collections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I was just working in a collection with 735 images, rejecting 239 of them.  So, it is a little "painful" to right click on each of the 239 images and select delete."

A couple faster options:

- Use the Library Filter bar to display just the rejected photos in the collection and select all of them. Do "splat delete" -- Ctrl Alt Shift Delete / Cmd Opt Shift Delete. Be very careful though, as it deletes immediately without an extra warning dialog.

- Use the Library Filter bar to display just the rejected photos in the collection and select all of them.  Click All Photographs and then Delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

klg1969  wrote

For some reason, I no longer get the option "delete from disk" when I hit Ctrl-backspace to delete by rejected photos. All I get is the "remove" option. This is true when I am working in collections but not in folders. In folders I do get the "delete from disk" option. Does this mean I have to work in folders to delete the photos? I'd prefer not to. I prefer to work in collections. If I have to go to the folder, it means I have to figure out what folder the photo is in and go there. That's such a pain. But I will if I have to, I guess. Is there a way to get the option "delete from disk" to appear when I am in collections? I could swear this option was available. Maybe they took it away in an update. Thanks for the information.

I do have the latest update for Lightroom Classic.

There is a keyboard shortcut for deleting images right from collections, but you do this at your own risk. There is no warning and no undo, so make sure you know what you are doing and make regular catalog and image backups. So here's that keyword shortcur, also known as 'splat delete':

Macintosh: Cmd-Option-Shift-Backspace

PC: Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Backspace

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the same image (built from a single file) can be added to multiple collections, deleting the file from disk doesn't make sense unless LR is sure that no other collection contains this image. So I can imagine that when LR receives a Delete command for an image viewed in a collection, it could make a quick search to check whether the image also belongs to another collection.

It is however safer to consider that collections are a set of references not pointing to files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Samoreen  wrote

Since the same image (built from a single file) can be added to multiple collections, deleting the file from disk doesn't make sense unless LR is sure that no other collection contains this image. So I can imagine that when LR receives a Delete command for an image viewed in a collection, it could make a quick search to check whether the image also belongs to another collection.

It is however safer to consider that collections are a set of references not pointing to files.

There is no ‘built’. A collection is simply a list, like a playlist in a music player. Or a membership list of your local camera club. If you delete an image from the catalog (and from disk, but you would not even have to do that), then the image is automatically deleted from all collections.

That is why ‘splat delete’ works, no matter how many collections the image is in.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JohanEl54  wrote

There is no ‘built’.

The images that we see anywhere in LR are always computed (built) from the original file to which default demosaicing/corrections were applied, be it in a folder or in a collection. A collection item refers to an image built from a file located in a folder. In the catalog database, collection items refer to an image identifier, not to a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Samoreen  wrote

JohanEl54   wrote

There is no ‘built’.

The images that we see anywhere in LR are always computed (built) from the original file to which default demosaicing/corrections were applied, be it in a folder or in a collection. A collection item refers to an image built from a file located in a folder. In the catalog database, collection items refer to an image identifier, not to a file.

What you are calling, referring to, as BUILT is the Preview LR creates. That has nothing to do with the original file, other than being a Preview of that file, and also gets deleted (Removed from the Previews folder) when the original images is either just removed from the catalog (Not deleted from Disk) or actually removed from the catalog AND Deleted from Disk. With either the reference to that file also is removed from all collections it may have been placed in.

All Collections are just LISTS of image files. They are not actual files and there are no actual image files IN LR. The catalog file is a database file that the images files are Referenced into, a record made of them from where they are actually stored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated by others. the option to remove from catalog or Delete from disk has never been available when you are in a collection. Only remove from Collection is available on the right click popup menu or the standard menu bar options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is only one thing you need to consider, when you delete from disk that image is completely removed from Lightroom and sent to the recycle bin. Every thing that is associated with that image in Lightroom will be removed, collections, smart previews etc etc. If you delete from the bin then it's only history, it's nowhere on your computer system.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines