• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic SLOW on High-End PC

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that this is a common issue, but I am trying to see if there are any suggestions to fix it. I am using Adobe Creative Cloud and Lightroom Classic CC. The program runs pretty slow especially while using the healing brush, radial filter or other adjustment brushes. My PC Specs:

Windows 10

AMD Ryzen 1700

16gb TridentZ RGB RAM 3200mhz

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME m.2 drive

Asus ROG Strix 1080 Ti

Asus Crosshair VI Hero Motherboard

Currently I have everything stock and not OC.

I have GPU acceleration on in Lightroom. Photoshop and ACR mostly run great in comparison.

This is driving me insane so looking for any suggestions.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't state how large your monitor is. We need to know in pixels, not inches or centimeters.

The slow brushing and other local adjustments is a well known deficiency in Lightroom Classic, particularly if you have a 4K or larger monitor.  You can try to turn the GPU acceleration off, this should speed up local adjustments. Or you can do the local adjustments in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I mostly do major adjustments in photoshop but sometimes it is nice to work with the Raw file and especailly with batch quick editing stay within Lightroom.

I have a Dell u3415w 34 inch ultrawide monitor 3440X1440.

I can try the gpu acceleration off, however everything else is slow too. Moving the image around, scrolling through images, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's not quite a 4K monitor, but it could be the same issue as with a 4K monitor.

Can you plug-in an HD monitor 1920x1080 or 1920x1200, restart the computer and see if the problem improves?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there just a known issue with lightroom with high resolution monitors? I feel like my CPU/GPU would be more than enough to handle it.

I unfortunately don't have any other monitor or really anyone to borrow from so I'd have to buy one just to try. I could try changing the resolution of  my monitor to 1080p though?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jacobb1821492  wrote

Is there just a known issue with lightroom with high resolution monitors? I feel like my CPU/GPU would be more than enough to handle it.

Local adjustments are slow on large monitors, not so much on 1920x1080 monitors unless you are doing a huge number of local adjustments on each photo. Yes, known issue.

I unfortunately don't have any other monitor or really anyone to borrow from so I'd have to buy one just to try. I could try changing the resolution of  my monitor to 1080p though?

Worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I'll give it a try and report back! Idk how lightroom is this badly optimized after all these years. I read that it doesn't like over 4 to 6 cores so I turned off the rest of the cores besides 4 on my CPU and didn't seem to help at all. I didn't realize you can batch edit in ACR so I might have to try doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 4 to 6 core limitation was overcome a while back and is no longer a limitation.

I doubt ACR will be any faster, it uses the exact same editing algorithms as Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'll have to experiment. I use it instead of lightroom a lot when I am just editing one picture and going into photoshop or as a smart filter as well. It always seems to run much better than lightroom *shrug*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. And check you various attached devices for issue. Typically detach all this devices other than mose, keyboard, and monitor, and a ext hard drive that your catalog or images, etc are on. If not used by LR, disconnect them, and see what happens. May or may not need a reboot.

Smart Phone? several members had issues with Android devices.

Ext HD not in use by LR, one user had a HD going out, could not import smoothly.

Card reader, after import, does disconnecting the card reader help

Card, typically most of us probably have LR send an eject to the card, and probably just under 100% take it out. But?

A device like a Loupedeck

Some form of tablet like Wacom

A dongle for WiFi, for Bluetooth, for authentication, etc

2. You stated not overclocking, so we can probably skip any BIOS mods.

3. Your GPU driver as provided by the chip set mfg . ASUS might have it, but who really makes it? NVIDIA?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2019 Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have what I will call high-end PC, Intel 9700K, 64GB RAM, 1TB m2 system-drive, 3 x 1TB SSD drives for photos and catalog/cache, and still Lightroom is just ridiculously slow. And now when I changed my monitor to a 5120x1440 ultrawide 49", it is worse than ever. This is being backed by a Nvidia RTX-2080 which should be more than sufficient for this.

Adobe need to just revamp the whole architecture of Lightroom, or I do not see it being used many years longer. I don't want to change at all, I love working with LR besides the slow use, but it's getting worse by the year and at some point we need to take a stand and say it needs fixing. There is no way I am moving to the shitty online version called Lightroom, if they make it like the Classic version with all the same tools, AND make it quick, yes maybe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a standard HD 1920x1080 monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would I want to try a standard monitor? I had a smaller monitor before, it was quicker. I find it kinda odd that Adobe would make an application that force you to use a small shitty monitor that are not at ALL suited for their application to make it fast enough to use comfortably?

I also use Adobe Premiere, and that application does not cater for small monitors either. I should not be forced to use one small monitor for Lightroom, and another large monitor for Premiere, Adobe will need to be able to make an architecture in their app, handling the modern world. In my opinion, LR has been left behind in the stone-age for a long time now, and they are reluctant to do the work required to bring it into the modern world. Photoshop does not have this issue, neither does Camera RAW. Only Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if the article available at the link below provided any ideas for changes to your preferences and workflow.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-performance-complete-series-optimizing-lightrooms-speed/

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I also have followed the guides previously, I am using GFX accelerated editing (without is worse), I have 20GB cache, I optimize my catalog, I have ONLY SSD for anything I do on my computer and I do not run out of RAM as I have 64GB. The guides might help people with low end computers, but they do not change much for high-end. I also run 1:1 previews and I use Never on expire, I just add more disk instead of deleting.

It's about the application and the old architecture it's built on. Capture One (which I have worked some with, but have not changed), does not have this issue, it works perfectly quick. I am usually not one for whining and complaining, I rather buy better hardware, but at this point there is very little else to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tomb57016167  wrote

Thanks, but I also have followed the guides previously, I am using GFX accelerated editing (without is worse), I have 20GB cache, I optimize my catalog, I have ONLY SSD for anything I do on my computer and I do not run out of RAM as I have 64GB. The guides might help people with low end computers, but they do not change much for high-end. I also run 1:1 previews and I use Never on expire, I just add more disk instead of deleting.

It's about the application and the old architecture it's built on. Capture One (which I have worked some with, but have not changed), does not have this issue, it works perfectly quick. I am usually not one for whining and complaining, I rather buy better hardware, but at this point there is very little else to do.

tomb57016167

This discussion is a month old and the OP has not commented in a month.

Would recommend that you start your own discussion. Include your system information in your discussion.

Would also recommend that you post your issue at:

Lightroom Classic | Photoshop Family Customer Community

(as a problem) actual Adobe techs respond in that site

Now that being said. Either your OS is not included in your comments, or (more likely) I have overlooked it. But, if your OS is Windows, simply, for now, for LR, reduce your screen resolution to 2K. No need for a separate monitor. If your OS is MAC, not much help. (With some GPU drivers you might be able to alter via properties, that setting to occur for a specific program)

Yes Adobe has a problem with LR above 3K. No LR performance does not have any relation to Photoshop, Premier, etc performance. No, just because say PS works does not mean Adobe can fix LR for this. No, we fellow members have no idea if Adobe will ever fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt you understand your own comment here to be honest. If the monitor is 5120x1440 it cannot be "reduced" to a lower resolution. Non-native resolution does not look good, and I would expect someone on an Adobe Lightroom forum wouldn't suggest someone editing photos on non-native resolution with all the negative effects it will have on image quality.

But point taken, it's the consumers job to resolve the Lightroom issues, not Adobe. One could never expect that when paying for a full Adobe CC subscription one would get a proper user experience like most other application providers give.

And yes, it HAS to to with relation to Photoshop and other tools they create, cause they show quite clearly that they can get good performance WITH image editing on large monitors/resolution, they just cannot on Lightroom.

And the OS is Windows 10, the modern OS that most users are on these days, unless they are running a Mac.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you were running under MAC OS you would not be able to adjust the display resolution, you would only be able to change the scaling, and even if you reduced the scaling as to represent a lower resolution, Lightroom would still be producing each and every pixel for that display. Now you could reduce the size of your open window, and get some performance improvement, but not by much. Basicaly if you were running a 5K MAC, you would be SOL.

Unless your GPU is something odd, on a Windows OS you can reduce the display resolution, and LR will then create appropriately fewer pixels to fill that display.

No, it will not be as pretty, but it would be workable.

Each and every time you touch a slider, an adjustment, in LR, a new preview is created, where and how complex depends on Library or Develop etc. Each time LR recreates each and every pixel, Running at 2K, not an issue, 3K not hideous, 4K shit slow, 5K nope not going to useful.

Photoshop? Does not work that way, after all it is destructive, each time you do an edit, just those pixels you touched need to be recreated, and PS does not need to recreate pixels just because you zoom in, etc. 5K, not an issue

Also, PS uses the GPU extensively to an advantage, LR, not so much.  (that use of graphics acceleration, is not all that useful, it is not taking full advantage of GPU processors or even VRAM)

All that hat being said. You need to be loud over at Lightroom Classic | Photoshop Family Customer Community  we all need to complain directly to Adobe on this. Get a new iMAC? a new MAC Book Pro, need to support 5K at 2K performance levels,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2019 Jul 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will. I guess it's just frustration talking, I feel they need to do a better job and respect all the professionals who through the years have been using Adobe products, not just LR, and hear what they are saying. The performance issues has been going on for years now, and it does not seem they are taking it serious enough to do something proper to counter it.

I'll add my voice to the other area as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree completely... i have a 34 inch ultrawide 3440x1440 so not as high res as yours but still I am not going to go back to a 1080 monitor for LR. They need to fix it.

I have a Ryzen 9 3900x 12 core on order coming in thursday so we will see if that changes anything but I am guessing not haha. I have a 1080 Ti so its still definitely fully capable.

I have capture one as well and you should give it a try. The only thing I am missing is the LR presets but Capture one is way better and runs way better. So I know its LR and not my PC

I want the highest resolution I can get for a reason. I haven't tried lowering to non native res but I really think it will not look good.

If Capture One which does the same thing can run fine then so can light room its jsut Adobe being lazy. Capture one is made by a way smaller company than adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That monitor, connected via DisplayPort. yes?

HDMI could be wrong, well actually, would be wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ill try those! and yes it is connected via display port

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, another members non related issue reminds me to inquire

Have you made sure that some attached device, like a multi card reader, another reader, a tablet, a smartphone (apparently Android creates issues) etc. is not causing issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm I don't have any other devices connected besides a USB C sdcard reader. Maybe could be the cause? Doubt it though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jacobb1821492  wrote

Hmm I don't have any other devices connected besides a USB C sdcard reader. Maybe could be the cause? Doubt it though

Easy to test. Just remove and see if things improve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines