• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom classic, standard preview and export looks worse than embedded preview

Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im getting quite annoyed, whenever I click the box to make photos generate a standard preview, it 'ruins' the picture, making its super grainy and its visable when not zoomed in which distracts from the image. Im pretty new to this software and this camera so i dont know what im doing wrong. 

attached some images of what i mean, exports are the same as the grainy photo

i think i have a misunderstanding of what raw files are supposed to be

Info:

Camera: Sony a7IV

File Format: .arw

Export options: I've tried alot, none have had good results asides "original". but the one i want JPEG i have at 100 quality, sRGB

Not using image resizing, maybe i need something here

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

another question, why cant i find my .jpg files that comes up in file explorer but lightroom is avoiding, if it cant handle raw well then i can at least preview all my jpgs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to help, but my web browser refuses to show attachments here in the Adobe Forums. Please include your screen captures by clicking on the "Insert Photos" icon.

As far as your second question about Lightroom Classic avoiding some files, I don't know what that means.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture (1).PNGCapture1.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When your camera is set to produce RAW+JPG files, you get-

1) a RAW file (ARW)  with an 'embedded' preview created BY THE CAMERA.

2) a JPG file created BY THE CAMERA.

When you IMPORT to Lightroom-Classic you get-

1) A 'Preview' that may display the 'embedded' preview created BY THE CAMERA.

which, when you edit, it displays the RAW data (as UN-EDITED). YOU then have to improve the image with Noise reduction, etc.

And if the Preferences option is set to 2022-12-04 08_02_32-Window.jpg

You also see-

2) A JPG as created BY THE CAMERA.

This blog from Laura Shoe is still relevent to your question-

https://laurashoe.com/2010/01/04/why-do-i-see-my-images-change-after-they-are-imported-into-lightroo...

If the Preference option is un-checked - 2022-12-04 08_05_57-Window.jpg

Then you will not see the JPGs in the Catalog. LrC considers them as 'hidden' sidecar files, and only the RAW is visible in LrC.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for this reply, very helpful. my issue is why its exporting it so fuzzy, and giving me really bad images, isnt raw supposed to be higher retained quality than jpeg?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To evaluate image quality, you have to view the image at 100%, where one image pixel is represented by one screen pixel.

This is the only view that gives you a true representation of the image, any other view will be inaccurate and misleading because the image has been scaled.

So are you viewing the image at 100% ? And are your screenshots at 100% ?

I see that the exported image is noisier than the original. This is probably caused by applying output sharpening in the Export dialog. I also see that the colors are different in the exported image. What application are you using to view it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines