• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic Video Editing HEVC Formats

Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of January, 2022, HEVC was not among the formats listed as accepted for video editing in Lightroom Classic.  As of April 27, 2022, Adobe says:  "Lightroom and Lightroom Classic 9.3 and later support HEVC video files on Windows."  I would like the ability to import HEVC video from my GoPro Hero 10 to edit in Lightroom / Camera Raw / Photoshop.  It would be sincerely appreciated if someone could please enlighten me on this issue.  I have a laptop running Windows 10 and I have installed an HEVC player to play back the videos without importing them into Adobe's editing software programs.  I know that HEVC editing is not available on mobile devices as the moment.  Nevertheless, it would be very nice to be able to edit the videos on my laptop in the future.  Thank you for hopefully being able to clarify this matter.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, what exact version of Lightroom Classic do you run? (Please get the number, not "latest" please).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic 11.4.1 Release; Camera RAW 14.14.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The article you quoted from is here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/kb/heic-files-support.html  

The article is not well-written. At the top it says:

"Although modern camera devices provide the capability to capture HEIF/.heic photos and HEVC (H.265) videos, Lightroom and Camera raw support HEIF/.heic files created with iOS and Android devices."

This means that the only HEVC videos any version of LR will import must have been created on iOS or Android devices.  Since your videos were created on a Gopro, they won't be supported by LR.

The only workaround is to record the videos in H.264 or convert them afterward to H.264.  That will make the videos anywhere from 50% to 100% larger, but you won't sacrifice quality.

You could post a feature request asking for LR to support Gopro H.265 (HEVC) in the Ideas section:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/how-do-i-write-a-feature-request/idi-p/123863...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the feature request the response was to the effect that Lightroom, Photoshop, etc. is intended for images, not videos.  I guess I wonder why they would offer support for iOs and Android devices and not GoPro.  They said to use Premier Rush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Years ago a LR product manager wrote that they wanted LR to handle all the media created by digital cameras, and since that included video, they added video support to LR 3, But they never made video a priority, and it's always been LR's stepchild -- limited capabilities, playback sometimes jerky, inability to handle all common formats.   Adobe just hasn't been willing to invest that much in LR video.

I think it's likely they prioritized iOS and Android over other devices that produce HEVC because those two platforms account for the vast majority of HEVC videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines