• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom. Converted JPG photos to DNG are not opening by Apple Preview or Photo

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was think to convert a few old JPG photos to DNG, so I can apply edits and return back if I don't like it. However when I convert them with Lightroom they are not opening with Apple Preview or Photos as regular DNG that are created from real RAW files or originally created by iPhone raw.

Is there sonething I can do to see them in my Apple Photo? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

DNG files created by converting a non raw file to DNG is not supported by the Apple Preview application. Furthermore, the files aren't raw and they aren't even what is known as Linear Raw. All that you've done is wrap the fully rendered file (i.e. JPEG) into a DNG wrapper, whcih for JPEG is pointless!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNG files created by converting a non raw file to DNG is not supported by the Apple Preview application. Furthermore, the files aren't raw and they aren't even what is known as Linear Raw. All that you've done is wrap the fully rendered file (i.e. JPEG) into a DNG wrapper, whcih for JPEG is pointless!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

🙂 thank you for the first part of the answer

However, I am not the only one whi finds converting JPG to DNG very convenient, so I wouln't use the word "pointless"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if it's not pointless, what's the point?

DNG is a container for data. You've placed a rendered JPEG into that DNG; it is still a JPEG. It is no more raw doing so. It can accept XMP edits but so can a JPEG.

What do you think you've gained by embedding a JPEG into the DNG?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am well aware that this is not a RAW file. The point is that using embedded JPG into DNG I can fix colors, use masks and other edits in Lightroom and after that I can save it as DNG as one file. If later on, I decide to re aply the edits or make a few steps back I can easily open DNG in Lightroom and do it all over again not hurting the original JPG because every save will decrese its quality. 

Another option is using TIFF with layers but the file is significally larger that DNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ilia_Smirnoff wrote:

I am well aware that this is not a RAW file. The point is that using embedded JPG into DNG I can fix colors, use masks and other edits in Lightroom and after that I can save it as DNG as one file.

ANY edits you do to a DNG in Lightroom Classic you can also do to the JPEG. Anything. You've gained absolutely nothing by embedding the JPEG into the DNG container.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I see where is not enought clarity. When convert a RAW file to DNG you can take DNG anywhere out of your regular Lightroom zone and any program, including Apple Photos and it will display the last edit of this file. Even FInder or Explorer thubnails will display the DNG file with the edit last saved in file. This DNG can be used just to view photos in any photo manager. This is very convenient, especially when Lightroom is not your favorite program. 

SInce there is a function that allows convert JPG ot any other non RAW file to DNG I was wondering why DNG created out of JPG is not be able to display any thumpnails or can be opened in Apple Preview or Photos. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Ilia_Smirnoff wrote:

Ok, I see where is not enought clarity. When convert a RAW file to DNG you can take DNG anywhere out of your regular Lightroom zone and any program, including Apple Photos and it will display the last edit of this file.

You are only seeing the preview of the edits as a JPEG within the container with the raw data. The edits are proprietary and only Adobe products understand and can use them.

All Apple Photos is doing is showing you a preview embedded into the DNG. 

You can see the same with a JPEG.

@Ilia_Smirnoff wrote:

SInce there is a function that allows convert JPG ot any other non RAW file to DNG I was wondering why DNG created out of JPG is not be able to display any thumpnails or can be opened in Apple Preview or Photos. 

Because DNG, a stepbrother of TIFF (both owned and controlled by Adobe) is a container.   

You pour a cup of water or orange juice into a glass (container), and you've still got water or orange juice. The container doesn't alter the data in that container. Why Apple does or doesn't work as you expect is something you need to ask Apple about! DNG is an openly documented format just like TIFF is; companies can properly follow the spec or they fail to do so. Ask Apple. 

As others have tried to explain, putting a JPEG into a DNG is pointless. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can can apply edits and return back if you don't like it with a JPG too.  All you are doing is creating unnecessary issues for yourself as you have seen in Apple Photos.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell me about this method because I am not aware how to apply edits, save file and in a month return to the original JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines