• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom: Exact text match in smart collections and filters, including matching spaces

LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2011 Oct 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there really no way to search metadata for a term that has spaces in it? e.g. "brown hair".

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 131 Replies 131
LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2011 Oct 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got your point - its not a good idea to have a legal data character be a delimiter, especially without some way of escaping it. But using a comma as delimiter only solves the problem for keywords - the solution needs to include non-keyword metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly my point. The use of the space character as a delimiter is what's screwing everything up. The comma should be THE delimiter for separating keywords; everything else, including the space, is just another character in the string.

LR has given a special meaning to the space character. If there's a specific reason, I hope a development person with a logical explanation will jump in here and enlighten us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can have a comma in a keyword, since its interpreted as a separator upon entry. Even if possible, it would be a *bad* idea...

But you *can* use commas in other metadata items, and this problem applies to non-keyword metadata too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered the 'Contains Words' bug when attempting once and for all to understand the difference between the various "Contains..." options. I think Adobe was trying to make it simple, but made it confusing and limiting instead.

Maybe the "Contains..." drop-down could be implemented as named regex presets, and Lightroom could ship with a set that implements the current ones for backward compatibility, but also the users could define their own.

Toss in a checkbox for "ignore case", and a better way of handling delimiters (e.g. specify delimiter explicitly, or have multiple lines instead of delimiters) and I'd be a lot happier.

-R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even tell the difference between "Contains Words" and "Contains All"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully you don't mind if Adobe takes a minute to fix this for the rest of us.

Note: the problem exists not only for keywords, but all other textual metadata, including custom.

*** BEWARE: "Contains Words" still has an insidious bug - it will not always return the photos it should. I think it should be removed from Lightroom completely until it's fixed, which should be immediately, if not sooner - my .02.

Big Mallard Ducks,
Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on Adobe's response in the following link, this is being considered a bug: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines